Spike Camp

Great deal on a Deluxe Sporter at Walmart

Great deal on a Deluxe Sporter at Walmart
« on: July 28, 2018, 04:40:57 PM »
Several weeks my local Walmart dropped the price of their Weatherby Vanguard Deluxe Sporter rifles to just $499. I purchased one a couple years ago when the price was $657 and found it to be a great deal at that price.

The Deluxe Sporter was created specifically for Walmart (and perhaps one or two other retailers) and is a cross between Weatherby's Deluxe and Sporter models. It has the same high-gloss stock and bluing as the Deluxe model and includes the same rosewood end piece on the forearm. The only differences that I've seen between my gun and the Deluxe model are the decorative cap on the stock heel and thin white inlays on the heel cap and butt plate. Of course the Deluxe model retails well over $1100. I was told the action is not as smooth on the Walmart Deluxe Sporter as what's found on the standard Deluxe model but never having seen the action on the more expensive model I cannot confirm it. Whatever the case, the Deluxe Sporter carries the same sub-MOA guarantee as any Vanguard rifle.

IMO, you won't find a better looking and performing rifle for $499.

Re: Great deal on a Deluxe Sporter at Walmart
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2018, 09:04:33 PM »
I made an account to talk about my first Weatherby, the same one you described - beautiful stock and all. I got it at Walmart, and the price was listed at $499, but a savvy clerk told me they just dropped it to $349. When I went to purchase it, it rang up at $249. I'm still blown away. I bought it about a week ago, and I think about the great deal I got every day. First hunting rifle too.

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2018, 03:46:18 AM »
I made an account to talk about my first Weatherby, the same one you described - beautiful stock and all. I got it at Walmart, and the price was listed at $499, but a savvy clerk told me they just dropped it to $349. When I went to purchase it, it rang up at $249. I'm still blown away. I bought it about a week ago, and I think about the great deal I got every day. First hunting rifle too.

Thatís a great deal. What caliber did you get it in?
Scott

Blackbear3

• In God We Trust!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2018, 07:11:48 AM »
Looks like a good deal to me!!!

Original poster said Wallace, NC.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2018, 07:14:13 AM by Blackbear3 »
We stand for the Flag, and we kneel for the fallen!!!

Doug-NRA Life Member

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2018, 08:15:39 PM »
When this comes to Alabama/Tennessee I'm gonna be in deep doo doo with the wife!

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2018, 08:39:08 PM »

Thatís a great deal. What caliber did you get it in?

I got it in 30-06. I haven't had a chance to fire it yet, but I just got my scope mounts in from Weatherby yesterday. I also just purchased a Leupold American Marksman on Cabela's summer sale, do you or anyone know anything about this one? I hear it's Cabela's line of the VX and it's the same specs as the VX-II.

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2018, 09:52:11 PM »
A friend of mine has one. It's a solid scope and definitely worth the $$$

Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2018, 05:24:45 AM »
If I saw one at one of my Walmarts I would buy one maybe even two!
Chris Kiefner

NRA Life Member

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2018, 06:07:50 AM »
Wow! Fantastic deal! Too bad I already have enough of those chamberings.
JW

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2018, 08:45:33 AM »
The Walmarts in my area recently dropped the price on these to $349.99!  I grabbed a 270 and 308, but left a 30-06.  It set there probably a week before someone finally snapped it up.

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2018, 01:42:55 PM »
Got 3 today, .308, 270 and 243.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 01:45:18 PM by sschefer »
Steve
Lifetime NRA Member
Retired in the Nevada high desert and loving life.

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2018, 09:01:57 AM »
Put a Hogue moldover fully bedded stock on the Vanguard .308. I temporarily put a Caldwell bipod on it and mounted my Swarovski VX5 on it. I ordered the Howa 1500 Mag Conversion kit and a few other goodies. Plan to take it out for break in next week when the temps drop and we get out of the current red flag fire warning.
Steve
Lifetime NRA Member

Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2018, 05:27:29 PM »
Put a Hogue moldover fully bedded stock on the Vanguard .308. I temporarily put a Caldwell bipod on it and mounted my Swarovski VX5 on it. I ordered the Howa 1500 Mag Conversion kit and a few other goodies. Plan to take it out for break in next week when the temps drop and we get out of the current red flag fire warning.

I have the mag conversion kit on my howa in .308. It feeds very well.
Chris Kiefner

NRA Life Member

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2018, 07:29:06 PM »

I have the mag conversion kit on my howa in .308. It feeds very well.

Good to hear, mine will be here Friday and then it's time to break in the rifles. Gonna need more than one trip to the range to get them all done.
Steve
Lifetime NRA Member