Spike Camp

In case you lock your keys in your vehicle in the middle of nowhere

musicman

• View Profile
My brother in law was hunting once in the absolute middle of nowhere, and found that he had locked his keys in his truck.  Fortunately for him, he DID have his phone, and he had the OnStar option on his Chevy truck.  He called up OnStar, and the operator asked him a few questions to semi verify that he was indeed who he was, and then presto, she unlocked it over the airwaves.  He has been forever sold on OnStar since then.   But not everyone has OnStar, or that little magnetic box with a spare key in it, stuck somewhere accessible.  On YouTube there are dozens of videos on how to unlock your vehicle with various devices, like tennis balls, bathroom plungers, water bottles, etc., but Mythbusters and some others have debunked many of them as being fiction, or perhaps they only worked on one specific vehicle.  But I found one video that uses para-cord, or perhaps a long sort of stiff shoelace would work also.  I almost always had some para-cord on me whenever I hunted.  I watched the video, and it seems reasonable.  I have not tried it yet, to see if it really works though.  And it won't work on all vehicles; you have to have a "stem lock" and also perhaps a certain type of door.  The fellow does not explain real well what he is doing at first, and in his first attempt to show us, he messes up and has to start all over.  But his second try was successful.  And like I said, it "looks" reasonable.  But maybe it doesn't work that easy.  I just thought I would share.  As with many things, there are two types of people:  Those that have locked their key in their vehicle, and those that that have not locked their keys in their vehicle..... yet.  Once, when my Dad and I were out hunting on a freezing wet evening, we came back to our old late fifties Chevy pickup, and the door locks were frozen, or perhaps covered with ice.  We ended up both taking turns peeing on the lock, and that thawed it enough to get the key in and unlock it.  I have had to do that twice in my life.  MM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWVNWn9BpQ4

Thanks that's pretty slick, :)

I've used a Dipstick to push the unlock button and a piece of stiff wire to unlock the mini van in the middle of nowhere but I might have to try that for practice. :D
I can't tame wild women
But I can make tame women wild

badsection

On a trip like that, I usually carry the second set of keys with me.  I had the idjit at jiffy lube lock my keys in the car and I had the second set with me. I do remember a friend locking the keys in his car and resorting to a hammer solution. I'll seeif this works on my ancient Ford Ranger.  Good post, M M!   :)

musicman

• View Profile
I think that using the dipstick is great thinking, to push the unlock button.  But the recent vehicles I had, had hood releases inside, so I could not have gotten to it.  But on a vehicle without an inside hood release that dipstick is a good idea.  MM

I think that using the dipstick is great thinking, to push the unlock button.  But the recent vehicles I had, had hood releases inside, so I could not have gotten to it.  But on a vehicle without an inside hood release that dipstick is a good idea.  MM

A guy came along and let us use his dipstick :o
I can't tame wild women
But I can make tame women wild

zonie

Pretty good I have to remember that one.  thanks

224KING

• View Profile
If in a Ford you can take your radio antenna off and run it down to the electric door unlock.It fits easily between the door and cab.Little knob on the end fits right in the indention of the button that unlocks the doors.
Retirement; The art of doing very little,very slowly

Expert; Someone who knows so much about so little

If you live in the swirl of the drain,inevitably you'll wind up in the cesspool.

Remember 10534

Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.

That's a pretty neat video.  I saw a lock out kit a tow truck driver had that had what looked like a snare in it and it took him longer to get it out of the kit than it did for him to unlock the door. 

If in a Ford you can take your radio antenna off and run it down to the electric door unlock.It fits easily between the door and cab.Little knob on the end fits right in the indention of the button that unlocks the doors.

I never knew that, I'm going to have to give that a try one of these days.
Nothing is better than a Weatherby, big bore magnum, or a Colt.