Spike Camp

It isn't a Weatherby, but...

Re: It isn't a Weatherby, but...
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2018, 08:03:12 PM »
No... Not a Weatherby but costs as much as one!!! And with good optics can shoot as good as one at 100yds prob. Those things are awesome! Congrats!

« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2018, 05:22:38 PM »
I bought the R9 when it came out. expensive for not going bang when you pull the trigger but I thought it would be the step up that Weatherby would put out if it were in that business.  I am happy to say I am very pleased with it's performance.

« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2018, 06:28:48 PM »
Very Nice
I just went to the dark side myself this year with A Excalibur 355.
I think the reason you shouldn't cock your crossbow with the cocking rope in the stand is it takes A 100 + lbs of force
to cock it. and thats added to your weight in the stand. with most being rated for 300 lbs. Enough said.
Good hunting.
Mark

Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2018, 05:43:51 AM »
Very Nice
I just went to the dark side myself this year with A Excalibur 355.
I think the reason you shouldn't cock your crossbow with the cocking rope in the stand is it takes A 100 + lbs of force
to cock it. and thats added to your weight in the stand. with most being rated for 300 lbs. Enough said.
Good hunting.

I don’t get how cocking the crossbow in a climber would be added weight? I think it could be awkward too do so. I have not done it in the climber but I did it a couple times in a chair.
Chris Kiefner

NRA Life Member

« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2018, 06:10:03 AM »
well Chris your right. I am full of beans. my book does say you should never cock your crossbow in A treestand while standing. to do so could cause you to loose your balance. so they recommend sitting if you have to cock it in the tree. my bad.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2018, 04:31:10 PM by grizzly340 »
Mark

« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2018, 04:35:20 PM »
I cocked my crossbow with it on the scale. with no difference in weight. And No it wasn't maxed out. Lol
so I am eating crow. :'(
Mark

petey

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2018, 07:51:04 AM »
Wow, that one looks awesome!  A bit out of my price range though.

I was just shopping for my first crossbow.  I ended up getting a PSE Fang..... why?  Well they are $350 and Midway has them as an 'in the cart' special for $239.23.   I called Cabelas, had them price match, use my club points and give me free shipping. 

« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2018, 09:32:54 AM »
To your point, a longer range crossbow isn’t necessary for all hunting situations. I happened to draw a “blue chip” mule deer area this year that is mostly open prairie and sagebrush.

If you’re hunting elk in the rut or out of a tree stand, you likely don’t need a Ravin or similar.
JK