Spike Camp

It isn't a Weatherby, but...

Re: It isn't a Weatherby, but...
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2018, 09:03:12 PM »
No... Not a Weatherby but costs as much as one!!! And with good optics can shoot as good as one at 100yds prob. Those things are awesome! Congrats!

wby4ever

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2018, 06:22:38 PM »
I bought the R9 when it came out. expensive for not going bang when you pull the trigger but I thought it would be the step up that Weatherby would put out if it were in that business.  I am happy to say I am very pleased with it's performance.

« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2018, 07:28:48 PM »
Very Nice
I just went to the dark side myself this year with A Excalibur 355.
I think the reason you shouldn't cock your crossbow with the cocking rope in the stand is it takes A 100 + lbs of force
to cock it. and thats added to your weight in the stand. with most being rated for 300 lbs. Enough said.
Good hunting.
Mark

« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2018, 06:43:51 AM »
Very Nice
I just went to the dark side myself this year with A Excalibur 355.
I think the reason you shouldn't cock your crossbow with the cocking rope in the stand is it takes A 100 + lbs of force
to cock it. and thats added to your weight in the stand. with most being rated for 300 lbs. Enough said.
Good hunting.

I don’t get how cocking the crossbow in a climber would be added weight? I think it could be awkward too do so. I have not done it in the climber but I did it a couple times in a chair.
Chris Kiefner

NRA Life Member

« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2018, 07:10:03 AM »
well Chris your right. I am full of beans. my book does say you should never cock your crossbow in A treestand while standing. to do so could cause you to loose your balance. so they recommend sitting if you have to cock it in the tree. my bad.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2018, 05:31:10 PM by grizzly340 »
Mark

« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2018, 05:35:20 PM »
I cocked my crossbow with it on the scale. with no difference in weight. And No it wasn't maxed out. Lol
so I am eating crow. :'(
Mark

petey

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2018, 08:51:04 AM »
Wow, that one looks awesome!  A bit out of my price range though.

I was just shopping for my first crossbow.  I ended up getting a PSE Fang..... why?  Well they are $350 and Midway has them as an 'in the cart' special for $239.23.   I called Cabelas, had them price match, use my club points and give me free shipping. 

« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2018, 10:32:54 AM »
To your point, a longer range crossbow isn’t necessary for all hunting situations. I happened to draw a “blue chip” mule deer area this year that is mostly open prairie and sagebrush.

If you’re hunting elk in the rut or out of a tree stand, you likely don’t need a Ravin or similar.
JK

DW5

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2018, 12:09:09 PM »
I’ve been contemplating a new xbow for a bit and may pull the trigger sometime in the next year or so. The Ravin seems to be getting a lot of my attention. What would you say your overall thoughts are so far? Anything you would change about the bow if you could? How far, and let’s assume near perfect conditions... no wind, great rest, etc... would you be comfortable shooting this bow at a deer?
You cant catch a fish without a hook in the water....