Spike Camp

It isn't a Weatherby, but...

It isn't a Weatherby, but...
« on: July 29, 2018, 01:11:15 PM »
You may or may not know that Wyoming has some relatively liberal laws on the use of crossbows.  With this in mind, I made a little investment recently...a Ravin R20 Sniper. 

This thing is incredible...extremely fast and accurate.  I can't believe how far crossbows have come in terms of technology in the last 10 years.
JK

badsection

Re: It isn't a Weatherby, but...
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2018, 01:49:56 PM »
Cool!   :)

DW5

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2018, 02:27:38 PM »
Very cool! I’ve never shot a Ravin but heard nothing but outstanding things from those I know who have.
You cant catch a fish without a hook in the water....

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2018, 02:39:58 PM »
Nice! Looks wicked!!!

badsection

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2018, 03:20:49 PM »
Since I am pretty much restricted to tree stand hunting for visibility reasons, how hard is it to reload a cross bow in a stand?  :)

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2018, 03:36:07 PM »
Very nice.
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

DW5

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2018, 03:56:17 PM »
Since I am pretty much restricted to tree stand hunting for visibility reasons, how hard is it to reload a cross bow in a stand?  :)

I do not believe it is all that difficult. I know some people switch over to a cranking device, but I think the foot saddle that is attached to almost all X-bows nowadays and a properly lengthened cocking rope work just fine in a stand once you get a little practice in.
You cant catch a fish without a hook in the water....

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2018, 08:17:38 AM »
Cool. I've thought about about getting one for the past year or two. Are they as fun to shoot as you would think?
Come and take it.

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2018, 08:40:10 AM »
One shot one Kill no need for reloading. :o ::) ;D
TD

badsection

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2018, 09:34:19 AM »
One shot one Kill no need for reloading. :o ::) ;D
  Maybe there is 2 hogs?   LOL!

PARA45

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2018, 01:52:09 PM »
WOW, very nice looking crossbow.  Congrats!!!

p.s.  Oh sh*t, didn't realize how cheap (sarcasm) this crossbow is.   ;D ;D
Senator John Kennedy  " If you support defunding the police, you've tested positive for stupid".

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2018, 04:10:33 PM »
I have an Excalibur but not one of the speed demons they make. Crossbows are fun to shoot.
Chris Kiefner

NRA Life Member

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2018, 04:51:32 PM »
They are a lot of fun and accurate also Tex.5 of us have the Barnett Jackal package after 1 bought theirs.We have all killed deer with them. Not in the same class as the Ravin but a good starter at around $260 for the package.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 08:05:09 PM by terminator »
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2018, 07:27:04 PM »
They are a lot of fun and accurate also Tex.5 of us have the Barnett Jackal package after 1 bought theirs.We have all killed deer with them. Not in the same class as the Rabin but a good starter at around $260 for the package.

Anna(youngest) has one of the Jackals and she has the Terrain which is a little smaller and compact. I took the Jackal out a couple times but didn’t get a chance to shoot at anything.
Which scope is on your Ravin?
Chris Kiefner

NRA Life Member

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2018, 06:25:32 PM »
I can answer a couple of previous questions.  They are fairly fun to shoot...I enjoy shooting them and the newest generation of crossbows are very fast and very accurate.  They are fairly easy to cock either by crank or cocking rope.  You can easily cock one with a crank in a tree stand.  You should be able to cock one in a tree stand with a cocking rope if you can at least stand up. 

No...the Ravin R20 Sniper definitely is not cheap, but it extends the season and game opportunity to a much greater degree than any rifle I own.  I can go purchase a general elk tag here in Wyoming and go chase bulls in the rut and I rarely run into or see another hunter.

Again...it all depends on the game laws in your state.  We are EXTREMELY fortunate in Wyoming.  We can use crossbows during archery season and even if we're unsuccessful, we can come back later and hunt with a rifle.  It is pretty cool... 
JK