Spike Camp

Picked up another M1A today

Picked up another M1A today
« on: July 30, 2018, 04:56:44 PM »
A friend was needing funds for a new rifle and offered me this one at a price I couldn't pass up. My other one is scoped but I will probably leave this one without.
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

Re: Picked up another M1A today
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2018, 05:36:18 PM »
Looks like it is in great shape

PARA45

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2018, 05:47:44 PM »
Very nice Roger, and in great shape!  Is that one of those pre-ban, since it doesn't have a flash hider?  I own two Springfield Armory; one is a super match, and one was built by Gunny Hook.  He did all the work to turn it into a super match with an air gauge premium Douglas premium barrel.  Gunny Hook used to be the Army Shooting Team armorer.  He lived here in Bremen GA, and Ironically fought in Bremen, Germany, during WW-II.
Senator John Kennedy  " If you support defunding the police, you've tested positive for stupid".

DW5

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2018, 06:18:07 PM »
Very cool. What are your thoughts for it?
You cant catch a fish without a hook in the water....

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2018, 06:38:33 PM »
It is a preban Norinco Oscar. My other one is a Springfield.
DW It would be an excellent up close and personal hog gun. Probably just work up a load and play with it and then let my nephew talk me out it. ;D Depends if he gets the stands ready and feeders going before I go to Arkansas to ML hunt.lol
« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 06:45:09 PM by terminator »
Roger

DW5

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2018, 06:54:13 PM »
Depends if he gets the stands ready and feeders going before I go to Arkansas to ML hunt.lol

Hahaha! Speaking of which, it’s getting close to that time of year... I’ll be heading on a corn trip some time in the next week or two myself.
You cant catch a fish without a hook in the water....

musicman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2018, 12:10:01 AM »
Years ago, I attended a clinic at Ft. Hood given by the, I think Army Marksmanship Unit from Ft. Benning, GA.  Is that near Bremen.  At that time there were two gals on the team, that worked with the two women that attended the clinic.  They were all REALLY nice people. 
I thought I saw the other day that someone is building an M1A chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor.
Back in the day, a bunch of 1911 guys I shot with were buying Norinco 1911's to build into competitive shooters.  You could get them really cheap at the Houston gun-shows, and supposedly their frames were excellent platforms for customizing.  I have heard that their M1A's were likewise, good for building into a match rifle.  MM 

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2018, 12:36:56 AM »
I also saw the Norinco 1911's and heard the same and should have bought one at a really cheap price back when the Shot Show was held in Houston in 1986. The Norinco M1A have an excellent reputation as shooters also but their was some articles put out that they had some soft metal parts in them that I don't think was ever proven.This is the second Norinco M1A I have had.I traded the other one years ago and never had any problems with it.Shot just as good as my Springfield.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 12:45:24 AM by terminator »
Roger

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2018, 05:43:22 AM »
One of these days I will get one. I have had several M1’s over the years but I have not owned a M1A/M14.
Chris Kiefner

NRA Life Member

zonie

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2018, 08:14:29 AM »
Nice !   Love the M1A's,  great shooters

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2018, 09:40:37 AM »
That one really does look to be in fine shape. Nice. Have you shot it yet?
Come and take it.

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2018, 10:31:47 AM »
Tex: I had shot it several times when my friend had it out on the range. It shot good with commercial ammo so it was no hesitation on my part to buy it.
Roger

eford

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2018, 12:29:04 PM »
Musicman—-Springfield Armory is making the M-1A in 6.5mm Creedmoor for the same price as the 308 Win.
Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine.

Every man needs to know his limits.

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2018, 03:56:47 PM »
Very nice Roger. Those are sweet. Alot of guys use those at our high power shoots.
Mark

PARA45

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2018, 02:43:23 PM »
Very nice Roger, I'm sure they are a lot cheaper than the SA ones.  I had mine done when I was big into the NRA High Power Rifle shooting.
Senator John Kennedy  " If you support defunding the police, you've tested positive for stupid".