Spike Camp

Weatherby 257 magnum

Re: Weatherby 257 magnum
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2018, 05:11:39 PM »
Maybe put a low on the front and a medium on the rear?

Nahash

• My First Weatherby 257 MAG
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2018, 10:41:42 AM »
Maybe put a low on the front and a medium on the rear?

257 Shooter

• 257 Shooter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2018, 05:14:24 PM »
Sorry, but that photo doesn't mean much. The rifle could be canted slightly in the rest it is sitting on. Even if one side of the scope "ring" was higher than the other, it would have no affect on the ability to zero the rifle. It is not possible to swap the front and rear mounts. The hole spacing is different and the contour of the receiver is different from from t to rear. Good luck solving your issue.

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2018, 07:44:41 PM »
I agree with 257 shooter. You level your rifle and your scope, not your rings.
Mike

Nahash

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2018, 06:21:26 AM »
I agree with 257 shooter. You level your rifle and your scope, not your rings.

I found this site that shows what has to be done to mount a scope:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rFOtmWqBUI

petey

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2018, 07:17:40 AM »
I would verify that Cabelas gave you the right set of rings.  I've seen a lot of posts with guys who get set up at a sporting good store and end up with the wrong rings.  Vangaurd and Mark V rings are different and for a while there were a lot of posts saying that Remington 700 rings will fit, which is not true.    Do you have the packaging from Cabelas for your rings?  What does it say.
I always used Weatherby rings.  ( http://www.weatherby.com/products/accessories/gun-parts/vanguardr-lightweight-scope-mounts.html )  They say "Vanguard" right on them and they are pretty much idiot proof.  Screw em on, level your rifle and scope, locked it down and hit the range.

Nahash

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2018, 07:22:45 AM »
I would verify that Cabelas gave you the right set of rings.  I've seen a lot of posts with guys who get set up at a sporting good store and end up with the wrong rings.  Vangaurd and Mark V rings are different and for a while there were a lot of posts saying that Remington 700 rings will fit, which is not true.    Do you have the packaging from Cabelas for your rings?  What does it say.
I always used Weatherby rings.  ( http://www.weatherby.com/products/accessories/gun-parts/vanguardr-lightweight-scope-mounts.html )  They say "Vanguard" right on them and they are pretty much idiot proof.  Screw em on, level your rifle and scope, locked it down and hit the range.
I will take the rifle to a very good gunsmith.
As watching the video how to mount the scope properly demands many toolshttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rFOtmWqBUI

« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2018, 10:53:54 AM »
All you need to mount a scope is the correct bases and rings and the right size Allen or Torquex wrench to tighten the screws. Also some blue Locktite for the base screws only. I have been doing this for 55 years nothing complicated about it.
John

Blackbear3

• In God We Trust!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2018, 11:26:54 AM »
All you need to mount a scope is the correct bases and rings and the right size Allen or Torquex wrench to tighten the screws. Also some blue Locktite for the base screws only. I have been doing this for 55 years nothing complicated about it.

+1, Maybe a Wheeler Scope Torque Wrench at the most so you don't over tighten them.
We stand for the Flag, and we kneel for the fallen!!!

Doug-NRA Life Member

« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2018, 01:57:22 PM »
Bought a V-2 .257 Wby mag at Sportsmans. Had them mount a 2.5-15x50 Bushnell Trophy Extreme. Leupold bases and rings. On target at 400 yards everytime.

Nahash

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2018, 04:04:55 PM »
Iíve got a vanguard vias (sportsmans warehouse only I think) and it shoots under an inch at 100.  As already mentioned, I donít let anyone mount my scopes.  I had an experience with Cabelaís years ago where the mounts they tried to put on a round savage action were for a flat receiver.  I havenít seen anyone at Cabelaís who knew what they were doing.  JMO.  Anyway vanguard mounts could be put on backwards and would not mate properly with the receiver but this would be pretty obvious when you installed them.  I have been using Warne mounts on my rifles and really like them.  My .257 has a Warne Mountain Tech pic rail and Warne PA medium rings on a vortex viper pst 2 5x25.  Not a lightweight but lighter than my 6.5-300 and shoots lights out.  You may also want to lap the rings although Iíve not noted misalignment with one piece bases.  Good luck with it absolutely love the rifle and caliber.
Thank you for your input. I changed my scope to Nikon buckmaster and the scope mounting was done by a local known gunsmith with Talley light weight mounts so the results were much better this time with a 1.5" at 100 yard.

petey

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2018, 04:08:20 PM »
Glad you got it shooting well.  I've never had a problem when using the Talley rings.  If you experiment with different brands of ammo or if you handload, that 1.5 inches will come way down. 

PARA45

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2018, 04:16:50 PM »
What ammo did you use to sight in your 257?  Like others have said, maybe your rifle doesn't like that bullet combo.  Also, I would suggest cleaning the bore with Boretech Copper Remover. 

« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2018, 06:32:34 PM »
I have a special Weatherby 257 1/12 in 2010, Special build for Weatherby Nation members only;
Only shot 5-6 times, looking forward to another deer season 2018.
Don't know if they have done that program since.
Floyd Morris, Jr.

Nahash

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2018, 06:47:38 PM »
What ammo did you use to sight in your 257?  Like others have said, maybe your rifle doesn't like that bullet combo.  Also, I would suggest cleaning the bore with Boretech Copper Remover.
I used Weatherby select 100 grain made in Sweden. Have led tip.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2018, 07:06:28 PM by Nahash »