Spike Camp

Weatherby 257 magnum

Nahash

• My First Weatherby 257 MAG
    • View Profile
Re: Weatherby 257 magnum
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2018, 07:07:19 PM »
What ammo did you use to sight in your 257?  Like others have said, maybe your rifle doesn't like that bullet combo.  Also, I would suggest cleaning the bore with Boretech Copper Remover.
I used Weatherby select 100 grain made in Sweden. Have led tip.

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2018, 05:45:13 AM »
Welcome to the Nation Nahash. Lets take for granted that you have good shooting skills, your rifle rest equipment (front and rear rests are solid) shooting from a solid bench, that you have good form and that your not disabled by poor eyesight. Although all rifles and rifle barrels are going to be a bit different in what they like, the Wby 100 grain select is a pretty vanilla round, and will shoot well out of "most" 257's, but yours may prefer the 80gr. or one of the heavier Wby loads. Some rifles shoot MOA right out of the box, however there are those that perform much better once you've shot a couple of boxes of ammunition thru them. It helps to smooth the bore, while lining the bore with a bit of copper that is also needed for better performance. If your sure that your action screws are torqued correctly, (not over tight) and your scope is torqued correctly, (not over tight) then its possible that your rifle may have to go through a bit of a break-in procedure. I don't use a formal break-in procedure anymore, (but the Weatherby website has one) I just shoot a few rounds, maybe 5 to 10, and run a solvent patch down the barrel a couple of times to keep copper from building up in the barrel. I repeat that routine, and not necessarily at the same sitting, until Ive gone through a couple of boxes of ammo, and by that time I'm shooting under MOA, or I'll be looking for another load to try.(most of my rifles shoot Moa before I've gone through the first 10 rounds) Good luck with your new 257, and I'm sure you'll be shooting MOA soon. 
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 05:49:55 AM by danno50 »
DosEquisShooter

Nahash

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2018, 06:39:13 AM »
Welcome to the Nation Nahash. Lets take for granted that you have good shooting skills, your rifle rest equipment (front and rear rests are solid) shooting from a solid bench, that you have good form and that your not disabled by poor eyesight. Although all rifles and rifle barrels are going to be a bit different in what they like, the Wby 100 grain select is a pretty vanilla round, and will shoot well out of "most" 257's, but yours may prefer the 80gr. or one of the heavier Wby loads. Some rifles shoot MOA right out of the box, however there are those that perform much better once you've shot a couple of boxes of ammunition thru them. It helps to smooth the bore, while lining the bore with a bit of copper that is also needed for better performance. If your sure that your action screws are torqued correctly, (not over tight) and your scope is torqued correctly, (not over tight) then its possible that your rifle may have to go through a bit of a break-in procedure. I don't use a formal break-in procedure anymore, (but the Weatherby website has one) I just shoot a few rounds, maybe 5 to 10, and run a solvent patch down the barrel a couple of times to keep copper from building up in the barrel. I repeat that routine, and not necessarily at the same sitting, until Ive gone through a couple of boxes of ammo, and by that time I'm shooting under MOA, or I'll be looking for another load to try.(most of my rifles shoot Moa before I've gone through the first 10 rounds) Good luck with your new 257, and I'm sure you'll be shooting MOA soon.
Thank you very much for your help. As I am new to the Weatherby 257mag. I am happy to get all information and help, so thank you for providing this new info. I don't consider myself a marksman but I generally shoot much better results than the one I get from my new Weatherby 257 mag. Till now I shot a total of 35 rounds and maybe it needs to go through more to get better results. I first used a front bipod then I met two guys that suggested to use sand rest so I got a sand front and back rest and the results were the same. I spoke with Talley and they were really great helping and they I contacted Weatherby and they responded after3 weeks suggesting to send the rifle back to them for testing. Also I want to say that it is a very limited supply of 257 mag. here in Canada and only Cabelas has 2 type, no one else has these rounds.

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2018, 11:11:21 AM »
Unless you've already boxed her up and are ready to ship it back to Weatherby, I'd suggest what others have suggested, and that is to clean the barrel one more time. Copper can be a real bandit, and some rifles just need more cleaning than others. (I've heard some of the members here say that they have to clean their rifle after just 6 or 7 rounds, or it doesn't shoot its best anymore) PARA45 suggested BTE, Boretech Eliminator, which is very popular on this forum, and for a reason. It works !  You can get it on Amazon or any number of on line retail dealers. Whatever you use, clean the barrel until theres no trace of copper on your patches when your done. Take it to the range one more time and shoot at least three or four foul shots to coat to the barrel. After the foul shots you should see the group start to tighten up, then shoot for effect. If you don't get better than 1.5" MOA, then send back. Your probably tired of going to range and seeing the same results :), but it may be worth a try. If you've already sent it back, disregard all the above ;D. Good luck Pal, and keep us in the loop.
DosEquisShooter

Nahash

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2018, 11:31:11 AM »
Unless you've already boxed her up and are ready to ship it back to Weatherby, I'd suggest what others have suggested, and that is to clean the barrel one more time. Copper can be a real bandit, and some rifles just need more cleaning than others. (I've heard some of the members here say that they have to clean their rifle after just 6 or 7 rounds, or it doesn't shoot its best anymore) PARA45 suggested BTE, Boretech Eliminator, which is very popular on this forum, and for a reason. It works !  You can get it on Amazon or any number of on line retail dealers. Whatever you use, clean the barrel until theres no trace of copper on your patches when your done. Take it to the range one more time and shoot at least three or four foul shots to coat to the barrel. After the foul shots you should see the group start to tighten up, then shoot for effect. If you don't get better than 1.5" MOA, then send back. Your probably tired of going to range and seeing the same results :), but it may be worth a try. If you've already sent it back, disregard all the above ;D. Good luck Pal, and keep us in the loop.
No, I did not send it back yet. I will order it from Amazon and check it again, it will take few weeks from now as I am very busy. Yes it is worth another try. Thank you.

« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2018, 11:52:54 AM »
What kind of rifle and scope do you have? Also what happened at Cabelas?
I have the Weatherby Vangard 2 - 257 magnum. I bought it with Talley scope mount and Leupold scope but unfortunately Cabelas mounted it wrong without levelling the front and rear mount and I could not get it shoot on the target. I went to Cabela 3 times and they said they could not find anything wrong so then I opened the scope top brackets and found that the front and back base scope mounts were not levelled and therefore causing twist on the scope.The gun is great but I suggest to anyone that buy it do the scope mount using a professional gunsmith.

Cabela's probably used Remington 700 bases. They fit the Vanguards but they should be bedded. If you look really close you'll see that there is a small gap and that's enough to cause the problem you had with the twist. My McMillan G30 Dynasty had the same problem when I first got it.
What doesn't kill you will make you stronger, except bears. Bears will kill you...

« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2018, 01:22:01 PM »
Cabelas Canada is a joke, I rarely get anything there anymore, they are slowly phasing out Weatherby products in their stores,but I would try to find some factory 100 gr ttsx or 115 gr ballistic tip ammo, else where, and try it out. That 1.5 moa groups are most likely the ammo. My 257 will only shoot that 100 gr spitzer load 2 MOA at best.

FYI, if you don't reload, don't toss your once fired brass away, there are people at the gun shows, here in Canada, that are always looking for Weatherby used brass, and will buy it.

Rob

cfp-223REM
accumark-223Rem
ultralite-240 Wby
synthetic-240 Wby
synthetic-257 Wby
ultralite-270 Wby
fibermark-270 Wby
accumark-270 Wby
accumark-7mm Wby
stainless-300 Wby
fibermark-300Wby
accumark-30378 Wby
fibermark-340 Wby
accumark-338378 Wby
custom-375 Wby
DGR-378 Wby
DGR-416 Wby
custom DGR-460 Wby

PARA45

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 27, 2018, 02:11:10 PM »
Nahash, another thing that I do not think has been addressed, is to let your barrel cool down (10-15 min)between each shot.  This will ensure you get the best accuracy out of your rifle.  Do not let your rifle barrel get too hot.  Try that, and see. 

Nahash

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 28, 2018, 05:56:31 AM »
Cabelas Canada is a joke, I rarely get anything there anymore, they are slowly phasing out Weatherby products in their stores,but I would try to find some factory 100 gr ttsx or 115 gr ballistic tip ammo, else where, and try it out. That 1.5 moa groups are most likely the ammo. My 257 will only shoot that 100 gr spitzer load 2 MOA at best.

FYI, if you don't reload, don't toss your once fired brass away, there are people at the gun shows, here in Canada, that are always looking for Weatherby used brass, and will buy it.

Rob
I agree.
I was shooting the Weatherby 100gr.
Where do you get the100 gr spitzer in Canada?

« Reply #39 on: August 28, 2018, 07:17:21 AM »
I would imagine that Epps could get you this in Orillia.
https://ellwoodepps.com/?SID=c7rfvovq7s8l7tuuio2up78he7
« Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 07:19:24 AM by canadian reloarder »

« Reply #40 on: August 28, 2018, 07:37:04 AM »
from your pic you posted, it looks like your using the 100gr spitzer load($50-60 a box) now. Weatherby also offer a 100 gr spire point load, which is a different bullet, and usually is about $85 a box here in Canada.  Like CR just posted, Epps is a good place to look if your in the east, if your in the west, like me, Prophet River, Bashaw Sports, Corlane's, are a good place to start. Prophet River had some 257, 120 gr partition ammo in stock, when I was in there the other day, my rifle shoots these well. Since Wholesale Sports closed, factory Weatherby can be hard to find at times here, sometime you just have to shoot what you can find, unless you reload.

Rob
cfp-223REM
accumark-223Rem
ultralite-240 Wby
synthetic-240 Wby
synthetic-257 Wby
ultralite-270 Wby
fibermark-270 Wby
accumark-270 Wby
accumark-7mm Wby
stainless-300 Wby
fibermark-300Wby
accumark-30378 Wby
fibermark-340 Wby
accumark-338378 Wby
custom-375 Wby
DGR-378 Wby
DGR-416 Wby
custom DGR-460 Wby

Nahash

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 29, 2018, 10:15:39 AM »
I found the following article that explains how important it is to clean the copper from the barrel :https://www.shootingsoftware.com/fouling.htm

Nahash

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 20, 2018, 08:21:16 AM »
I found the following article that explains how important it is to clean the copper from the barrel :https://www.shootingsoftware.com/fouling.htm
Hi, Thank you for the advise. I bought a cleaning guide and cleaned the rifle with a copper solvent ( that was recommended at the store) but I have to say that not much dirt ( green) came out of it.
I also spoke to Weatherby this morning and they suggested something that I did not do till now:
To check 2 screws for 35LB torque at the bottom of the rifle. ( when you flip the rifle and look at the trigger there is one screw in the front and one at the back ( large screws) they must be checked at 35lb.

« Reply #43 on: September 20, 2018, 04:48:00 PM »
Hi, Thank you for the advise. I bought a cleaning guide and cleaned the rifle with a copper solvent ( that was recommended at the store) but I have to say that not much dirt ( green) came out of it.
I also spoke to Weatherby this morning and they suggested something that I did not do till now:
To check 2 screws for 35LB torque at the bottom of the rifle. ( when you flip the rifle and look at the trigger there is one screw in the front and one at the back ( large screws) they must be checked at 35lb.

That's 35 inch lbs not foot lbs. Big difference, 35 foot lbs would either break the screw or pull the action deep into the stock.
What doesn't kill you will make you stronger, except bears. Bears will kill you...