Spike Camp

Weatherby 257 magnum

Nahash

• My First Weatherby 257 MAG
    • View Profile
Weatherby 257 magnum
« on: August 01, 2018, 09:42:15 AM »
Does anyone has this caliber. I had issues getting good scope and target results.
Had bad luck with Cabelas.

Re: Weatherby 257 magnum
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2018, 10:11:00 AM »
What kind of rifle and scope do you have? Also what happened at Cabelas?

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2018, 01:42:13 PM »
I have 2 of them and both are shooters. In fact I bought both at my local Cabelas, I mounted the scope myself.
Doug

Nahash

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2018, 01:57:25 PM »
What kind of rifle and scope do you have? Also what happened at Cabelas?
I have the Weatherby Vangard 2 - 257 magnum. I bought it with Talley scope mount and Leupold scope but unfortunately Cabelas mounted it wrong without levelling the front and rear mount and I could not get it shoot on the target. I went to Cabela 3 times and they said they could not find anything wrong so then I opened the scope top brackets and found that the front and back base scope mounts were not levelled and therefore causing twist on the scope.The gun is great but I suggest to anyone that buy it do the scope mount using a professional gunsmith.

Nahash

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2018, 02:00:14 PM »
I have 2 of them and both are shooters. In fact I bought both at my local Cabelas, I mounted the scope myself.
You did the right thing mounting the scope yourself!!
What scope you would recommend for hunting?

PARA45

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2018, 03:00:27 PM »
Do you know which Talley mounts are on the rifle?  The Talley Light Weight one piece rings are set for the front and one for the rear of the rifle.  I shouldn't matter if they are leveled or not.  Post a picture of what Cabelas set you up, and maybe we could help you a bit more.
Senator John Kennedy  " If you support defunding the police, you've tested positive for stupid".

Nahash

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2018, 03:31:07 PM »
Yes I have the Talley light weight one in the front and one in the back.

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2018, 07:40:53 AM »
I bought that exact same combo Nahash. No problems whatsoever out of mine.

I'm not sure how they could put the mounts on and they not be level. Did they put the rear mount on the front?

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2018, 08:12:18 AM »
Could be in swapped position or the Tallys are made for a Mark V instead of a Vanny.You never know what's going on unless you do it yourself
Retirement; The art of doing very little,very slowly

Expert; Someone who knows so much about so little

If you live in the swirl of the drain,inevitably you'll wind up in the cesspool.

Remember 10534

Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2018, 08:27:42 AM »
You did the right thing mounting the scope yourself!!
What scope you would recommend for hunting?
Sorry I'm on vacation and didn't see your reply, I have a 3-9x40 Zeiss on my Accuguard 257 Bee. Most of my shots are under 100 yds here and Minnesota, I have a 4.5-14 Leupold on my 340 Arroyo I will be using in Colorado. All my scopes are Zeiss or Leupold.
You might want try talking to someone at Talley Monday, they have great customer service. I ordered the wrong height one time and called and they just sent me the right height at no charge!!! If you posted a picture of the problem, maybe someone on the Nation could help too?
Doug

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2018, 08:58:29 PM »
I don't understand what you mean by they didn't level the mounts.  All the Tally mounts I've seen don't have any adjustment to them, they just screw together and the base is screwed down to the action. 
Nothing is better than a Weatherby, big bore magnum, or a Colt.

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2018, 12:16:03 AM »
I don't understand what you mean by they didn't level the mounts.  All the Tally mounts I've seen don't have any adjustment to them, they just screw together and the base is screwed down to the action.

Could have put front at rear and rear at front, don't know if that matters on a Vanguard but it sure would on a MKV.
IF YOU CAN"T DAZZLE WITH BRILLIANCE................BAFFLE WITH BULLSHIT!!

Polecat94

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2018, 09:40:21 AM »
I’ve got a vanguard vias (sportsmans warehouse only I think) and it shoots under an inch at 100.  As already mentioned, I don’t let anyone mount my scopes.  I had an experience with Cabela’s years ago where the mounts they tried to put on a round savage action were for a flat receiver.  I haven’t seen anyone at Cabela’s who knew what they were doing.  JMO.  Anyway vanguard mounts could be put on backwards and would not mate properly with the receiver but this would be pretty obvious when you installed them.  I have been using Warne mounts on my rifles and really like them.  My .257 has a Warne Mountain Tech pic rail and Warne PA medium rings on a vortex viper pst 2 5x25.  Not a lightweight but lighter than my 6.5-300 and shoots lights out.  You may also want to lap the rings although I’ve not noted misalignment with one piece bases.  Good luck with it absolutely love the rifle and caliber.

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2018, 06:20:40 PM »

Could have put front at rear and rear at front, don't know if that matters on a Vanguard but it sure would on a MKV.

Yeah I forgot about that. 
Nothing is better than a Weatherby, big bore magnum, or a Colt.

petey

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2018, 06:27:07 PM »
Knowing Cabelas I would bet they have the wrong set of rings. 
I got my Talley rings from Weatherby and mounted my scopes myself.... If someone with my brian power can do this (4 times now) with no issues, I think anyone can, with the exception of Cabelas of course.