Spike Camp

Walmarcado Clearance sale on Vanguards fiasco

Walmarcado Clearance sale on Vanguards fiasco
« on: August 03, 2018, 11:25:51 PM »
Have you ever had one of those days.... where EVERYTHING goes wrong; maybe two days in a row.  Fortunately, this story did not happen to me, but rather, to one of my long time shooting/hunting buddies, that I have mentioned here before.  He is the fellow that works as a jailer.  (This story may get long).  It just happened in the past weekend.  He is the fellow that told me about the Walmarcados doing the clearance sales on the Weatherby Vanguards, that I posted on The Nation about, a week or so ago.  Anyway, the other day, he finds that there is a Walmarcado in Killeen, TX., that still had two Vanguards in .300 Weatherby, @ $238 each.  My Son and I are always talking about our Weatherby's to him.  He always wanted one, and at that price, it was tempting.  He is debating driving up there, it is almost a three hour drive because of the traffic, but it IS a heck of a deal.  He is about ready to go to work, he is doing the night shift and gets off at I think he said 7 in the morning.  His wife says, that she will be leaving at about that time, to go to Austin for a bowling tournament, he could ride with her, drop her off, head North to Killeen from there, and get one of the rifles.  So he says OK.  He gets home a little after 7 A.M. all stressed out, (it is a horrible job), has had no sleep, changes clothes, hops in her vehicle, and off they go.  She drops herself off in Austin, and he heads off to Killeen in her vehicle.  Finds the store, goes in to the gun department, and indeed, they have the two Vanguards.  He checks them out, they look great, and he says that he'll buy both of them.  The person behind the counter says, "Well, can you come back tomorrow."  "Why."  "Well, the person in charge of this department is off today, and did not leave the 'code' for us to enter into the computer, to sell them at this price."  My buddy starts to get excited.  He tells them that he has driven almost three hours to come here to get one or both of these rifles, can't someone else authorize it.  They call an Asst. Manager in.  He tries a bunch of stuff with the computer; cannot authorize it.  They then get the main manager over there after a long wait.  Same story.  They try calling the guy with the code a bunch of times; he never answers.  He wastes about two hours at the store, and they will not sell him the rifles.  He finally leaves, extensively P.O.'d.  So he is mad as hell and starts to drive back to Austin.  He is on I 35 not too far from Austin, BAM.  He has a blow out.  Fortunately, he is in the far right lane, and eases off the highway.  I 35 is a racetrack nightmare; you do not want to be fixing a flat just off of the highway.  Even though we had a Norther blow in a couple of days ago, that brought the temperatures down to the lower nineties, this was before then, and it was over a 100 degrees.  He is 67 years old, the middle of the day.  He is in his wife's Explorer, and does not know much about it.  He has to find the owner's manual to see where the jack is hidden, and how to release the spare.  If it had been his truck, he would have a REAL jack, a REAL lug wrench, some pieces of 2x6's to put under the jack, and a piece of old tarp to put on the ground to not get as dirty.  But he has none of this in his wife's vehicle.  He finally get's the spare out, and it feels soft.  He assembles the ridiculous jack, get's it under, and gets the blown tire off the ground, gets it off.  Tries putting on the spare, and has to get the vehicle higher, since it's a full tire.  The jack had settled down in the soil some, and runs out of elevation, and he cannot get the spare on.  He is about to explode.  Then a black fellow in a pickup pulls up behind him, and asks if he needs help.  He explains the problem, and the fellow has a floor jack in his truck, and some old boards to put under it.  They get the vehicle up high enough to get the spare on and let it down.  The spare has air in it, but not much.  They both think he needs to get air in the tire at the first chance, or he will ruin it.  The fellow says that there is an NTB at the next exit.  He will follow him there to make sure he makes it.  So my buddy eases down the shoulder, not too fast, exits finally and sees the NTB.  He pulls in, and waves to the nice guy that helped him.  A young fellow comes out and asks how he can help.  "I need to air up my spare, I had a blow out, and the spare doesn't have much air in it."  "Did you buy your tires here, or at one of our other stores."  "WHAT."  At this point my buddy is getting profane, and tells the kid it is his wife's vehicle, and he doesn't know where she bought the tires.  "It is a new policy, we cannot air up your tires unless you bought them from us.  I'll be happy to sell you a new tire or a whole set, and fix you right up."  So my buddy says, "Just show me the air hose, and I'll fill it up myself."  "Only store employees can operate store equipment.  I can give you a really good price on two new tires."  At this point, my buddy starts to make brief statements referring to the kids Mother.  Also at that point, he sees there is a Walmarcado, sort of across the Interstate from where he was.  He storms off and eases the vehicle slowly over there.  Gets out, tells them his problem.  They pull out a long hose, and air him up.  They take the soapy water bucket out, and smear it all over the tire to see if there are any major leaks.  None.  So he gets back on the road to Austin to get his wife.  Picks her up, tells her the entire story, and she says, "Why didn't you just buy four new tires, I am going to need new tires soon anyway."  (She is an officer for Child Protective Services, and her vehicle HAS to be in tip top shape; she is really astute with it's maintenance.)  Well, he didn't want to buy anything without checking prices.  They come back here to town, and he starts checking tire prices, and found out that NTB WAS having a sale on tires that would fit the Explorer, and they had the lowest price he could find.  Plus those two Vanguards were nagging at him.  So he ponders both all night long, and in the morning, he calls up the Killeen store, if the guy in sporting goods with the frickin' code was there today.  Yes he was.  Do you still have the two Vanguards in .300 Weatherby.  "We just sold one of them, but have the other."  "I was the guy there yesterday that wanted to buy both of them, would you hold that one for me, and I will be there in about three hours to buy it."  "Yes Sir, no problem."  So, he swaps vehicles with his wife, tells her what he wants to do; she approves.  He would drive to get the Vanguard for $238, and on the way back, stop at an NTB in a closer town, that his wife works out of, and get four new tires.  So he drives all the way back to Killeen, goes into the store to the gun department.  He sees a familiar face, and tells them he had called to put a hold on the Vanguard in .300 Weatherby.  The salesman gets a funny look on his face.  "You talked to me on the phone, and I got distracted and forgot to put a hold on it, and someone just bought it from another sales associate maybe a half an hour ago."  I think the subject of the fellow's Mother came up again.  And being a clearance item, there was no other one to be had.  He had it out again with the manager, but there was nothing they would do.  My buddy was beyond livid.  He storms out of the store, and is so upset, he forgot to stop and get the new tires at the closer NTB.  He is finally cooling off a little bit.  Sometimes, I think it is just best to order one from Bud's, pay the reasonable price, and be done with it.  I am just glad this did not happen to me.  I may not have cooled down yet.   MM

Weatherby-SL

• Tony
    • View Profile
Re: Walmarcado Clearance sale on Vanguards fiasco
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2018, 04:56:16 AM »
Oh geeze! I call them Wally World's   -   probably for the same reasons you call them Walmarcado's! So sorry for your buddy.

PARA45

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2018, 02:30:42 PM »
Wow, what a cluster f*ck of a trip.  Sorry to hear that about your friend, bummer he couldn't buy the Vanguards.

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2018, 03:02:00 PM »
Sounds like a crappy few days.That kind of stuff usually happens to me.We have 3 Super Walmarts,2 of them don't carry guns and when I Called the one that does they  had never heard of the Weatherby brand.Yeah Buds gets a lot of my money and never a problem.
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2018, 07:49:49 PM »
Man that sucks big time.  After reading your post the first thing that popped into my mind was the scene in the end of Christmas Vacation where Chevy Chase flips out about his Christmas Bonus. 
Nothing is better than a Weatherby, big bore magnum, or a Colt.

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2018, 05:48:35 AM »
From that scenario I thought of the movie "Falling Down" with Robert Duvall and Michael Douglas, really good movie.   
DosEquisShooter