Spike Camp

Seventy Three Years Ago Today... Hiroshima

musicman

• View Profile
Seventy Three Years Ago Today... Hiroshima
« on: August 06, 2018, 04:44:40 PM »
Today and also on August 9, seventy-three years ago, two bombs were dropped on Japan, that caused Japan to Unconditionally surrender, and end World War Two.  An estimate half a million American soldiers lives were spared, and several million Japanese civilian lives were also spared, had an amphibious invasion of Japan been carried out.  I commend Harry Truman for giving "the go."  I commend the THOUSANDS of people involved in the planning, training, and executing of the two missions.  There were A LOT of "men on the ground" that worked day and night to see to it, that these two missions were successful.  Of note, Nagasaki was the secondary target on August 9.  Kokura Japan was supposed to get the second bomb, "Fatman."  Three passes were made over the city, but because of cloud cover and smog, visibility was bad, and the decision was made to proceed on to Nagasaki.  MM

badsection

Re: Seventy Three Years Ago Today... Hiroshima
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2018, 05:19:40 PM »
Agree!  Great post! 

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2018, 06:39:31 PM »
Chalk it up to the Greatest Generation. Quote from Victor Davis Hanson, Military Historian:

"Their achievement from 1941 to 1945 remains unprecedented. The United States on the eve of World War II had an army smaller than Portugal’s. It finished the conflict with a global navy larger than all of the fleets of the world put together."
« Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 06:49:44 PM by danno50 »
DosEquisShooter

eford

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2018, 10:10:08 PM »
When I hear the pleas of “we would have won without the A-bombs because Japan was on the brink of surrender” I ask who was ready to surrender? The emperor, the military on the main islands, the forces off of the main islands? I sure don’t know OR believe surrender was in their plans.
Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine.

Every man needs to know his limits.

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2018, 10:26:44 PM »
Agree!  Great post!

+1, that generation helped make this country what it is today.
Doug

badsection

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2018, 06:18:20 AM »
Watched the movie "USS Indianapolis, Men of Courage" last night. Good flick!   :)

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2018, 10:33:32 AM »
I watched a documentary on the bombing last night, some of the footage was unbelievable

Terry
« Last Edit: August 08, 2018, 04:49:31 PM by Huntnmachine »
Guns have two enemies....rust and government
OFHA and CCFR member