Spike Camp

Mark V Accumark

Mark V Accumark
« on: August 10, 2018, 10:09:33 AM »
I am looking at possibly purchasing a Mark V Accumark in 270 Weatherby Mag and only want to purchase one type of ammo to take whitetail, black bear and moose. I have cut it down to two choices, 140 grain Accubond or 150 grain Partition.

I am not interested in reloading so it would just be factory ammo, what are your thoughts on the best all around bullet.

Terry
Ontario,Canada........yours to discover

Re: Mark V Accumark
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2018, 10:14:48 AM »
I'm a Partition fan.  I hope the rifle likes them both but I would let the accuracy decide.  :)

Blackbear3

• In God We Trust!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2018, 10:22:02 AM »
I'm a Partition fan.  I hope the rifle likes them both but I would let the accuracy decide.  :)
+1 on what Bad said, you might also want to consider Barnes 130 ttsx since more states are trying to ban lead ammo.
We stand for the Flag, and we kneel for the fallen!!!

Doug-NRA Life Member

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2018, 10:29:28 AM »
I just wish the Barnes were a little heavier for bear and moose
Thanks guys

Terry

DW5

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2018, 10:59:35 AM »
I am looking at possibly purchasing a Mark V Accumark in 270 Weatherby Mag and only want to purchase one type of ammo to take whitetail, black bear and moose. I have cut it down to two choices, 140 grain Accubond or 150 grain Partition.

I am not interested in reloading so it would just be factory ammo, what are your thoughts on the best all around bullet.

Terry

Iím in the exact same boat right now. Except Iím thinking about a 270bee in one of the lightweight models. My number one, go to ammo, is the accubond, but hoping whatever I end up with likes it or the partition.

Purely personal, anecdotal, evidence... but I have never had an Accubond fail me, or basically do anything but drop whatever animal i shot with them out of any of my rifles I use them in. I know others can say the exact same thing about Partitions, Barnes bullets, and Hornadyís as well though.
You cant catch a fish without a hook in the water....

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2018, 11:40:42 AM »
I would go with the partition its a proven bullet on big game for many years. Accuracy is important but sometimes we take it to far IMO. If your shots will be under 300yds and on big game, than if you can get anything under 1 1/2" groups it is good. That's a 4 1/2" group at 300 yards.
Mike

dubyam

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2018, 12:06:21 PM »
I'll agree with Badsection - it really depends entirely on what your rifle likes best.  Either of the bullets you listed will work, as would the 130gr TTSX.  I'd start with the 150gr Partition, just because I prefer it over the Accubond and the pure copper construction of the Barnes, which is likely to foul more than the gilding metal alloy jackets of the others.
I believe this is a practical world, and in it I can count only on what I can earn.  Therefore I believe in work, hard work. - The Auburn Creed
The older I get, the less stock I place in what men say, and the more I place in what men do. - Andrew Carnegie

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2018, 02:58:05 PM »
 I know you've said your 257Wby loves the 120 grain partitions, so "maybe" the new 270Wby will also like them and "maybe" stay with the same brand and bullet type. If they both shoot moa, personally, I'd stay with what I'm familiar with.
DosEquisShooter

eford

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2018, 07:28:33 PM »
Several years ago I spoke with a man who lived and hunted on Kodiak Island for 20 years, I think it was. I know he said his do-everything load was 150 grain Partitions with a 270 Winchester. Therefore, I would go for the Partition.
Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine.

Every man needs to know his limits.

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2018, 07:30:41 PM »
I'll echo what everyone else already posted, use whatever the rifle likes. I have known of quite a few moose and bear being taken with a 130 gr 270 cal bullets, so I would have no problem using the 130 gr TTSX load.  8)

Rob
cfp-223REM
accumark-223Rem
ultralite-240 Wby
synthetic-240 Wby
synthetic-257 Wby
ultralite-270 Wby
fibermark-270 Wby
accumark-270 Wby
accumark-7mm Wby
stainless-300 Wby
fibermark-300Wby
accumark-30378 Wby
fibermark-340 Wby
accumark-338378 Wby
custom-375 Wby
DGR-378 Wby
DGR-416 Wby
custom DGR-460 Wby

PARA45

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2018, 09:54:14 AM »
I agree with what others said about choosing what your rifle likes best.  I took Accubonds when I went to Africa, and they worked as advertised.  I couldn't get the Partitions to shoot well in my 300 Bee.  I killed six animals total, and four were big animals, zebra, kudu, gemsbok, & wildebeest.  All animals were one shot kill, with the exception of the poor man's buffalo which is the wildebeest, and part was me, because I rushed the shot and it was not that good. 

I think they are both great bullets, and in the end, your rifle will be the one who will decide for you.  Good luck, and hope to read your report with pictures.  ;D

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2018, 05:01:33 PM »
Many thanks for all the replies folks...ÖÖ.much appreciated
I will let you know if I make the purchase and if I do will probably go with the Partition   

Terry

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2018, 05:28:08 PM »
I see you have settled on nosler, but if you need another option
The Speer Grand Slam 150 grain is a great bullet. Doesn't have a high BC and may not shoot great groups but it is a  performer on big game
Mike

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2018, 09:22:54 AM »
The Speer geand slam is kind of A forgotten Gem.
I like both the Accubond & Partition. For close in work I really prefer the Partition and for long range the Accubond. But in the end like everybody has said. Got to go with what she likes.

Mark