Spike Camp

A "Realtree Outdoors" Tip for deer camp

danno50

• View Profile
A "Realtree Outdoors" Tip for deer camp
« on: August 11, 2018, 12:56:27 PM »
I've never heard of the Tenderstretch method of hanging a deer for cleaning and aging. Having never tried it, I wonder if it really makes a difference at all. I've never been in a steakhouse meat locker, but I do remember seeing beef hanging in a movie. Any butchers out there?

https://www.realtree.com/deer-hunting/articles/you-ve-been-hanging-your-deer-wrong-for-years

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddymqt28uwo
DosEquisShooter

Stacy

• View Profile
Re: A "Realtree Outdoors" Tip for deer camp
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2018, 01:28:08 PM »
I'm skeptical. Only because, I read in a North American Hunting Club book a long time ago about another blind taste test at the University of Wyoming between aged and non aged elk meat. No one could tell the difference.

I don't deliberately age any big game meat. Although, it gets aged on the way back to civilization for processing. In some cases, that could be a week or more. It's all tasty to me!

Perhaps, those with a more sophisticated palate can tell the difference but I'm just a knuckle draggin caveman. Heck, I'm the first generation in my family to walk erect!  ;D     

badsection

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2018, 01:43:53 PM »
I always hung critters by the neck as it seemed easier to clean up the meat. My first couple of deer were taken on my dad's eastern shore of MD. farm. It was usually a easy drag through marshland and the hanging tree was handy to a hose.  Just cause I always did it that way does not make it right.  ;D      The guides I hunt hogs with hang them the same neck high.  They do use a battery powered boat winch to hoist them.

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2018, 03:00:03 PM »
That is a new one on me.Since we don't have anywhere to hang them in the cold we just quarter and put them in the ice chest until we have time to process them.
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2018, 04:26:33 PM »
A professional meat cutter told me there is no reason to age deer or elk because there is no marbling in the meat to break down.
John

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2018, 05:57:13 PM »
A professional meat cutter told me there is no reason to age deer or elk because there is no marbling in the meat to break down.

Makes sense
Retirement; The art of doing very little,very slowly

Expert; Someone who knows so much about so little

If you live in the swirl of the drain,inevitably you'll wind up in the cesspool.

Remember 10534

Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2018, 06:07:15 PM »
I have heard of folks hanging animals head down but we have never tried it. Beef farmers will tell you that the longer they hang beef in a cooler the better the meat will taste but I have no experience with it.

Terry
Guns have two enemies....rust and government
OFHA and CCFR member

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2018, 06:31:19 PM »
Not sure about taste, but if you age your meat between 33 and 40 degrees for 4-6 days it does seem to be more tender

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2018, 07:01:48 AM »
Not sure about taste, but if you age your meat between 33 and 40 degrees for 4-6 days it does seem to be more tender
I always thought that the idea of aging deer meat was for tenderizing purposes also. That said, field dress as soon as physically possible as you don't want the animal to bloat by building up gasses, especially in not so cool weather. Keeping the animal cool and draining as much blood from the meat is what I thought made the meat taste better.( after that, marinating helps) So, does it help to have the carcass upside down?   

DosEquisShooter

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2018, 09:01:55 AM »
We Always hang from back legs, the blood drains better. don't always hang it fpr long and in this country it can freeze solid. We have Bow hunters in hot weather bone it out in the field to pack out and get in cooler.fridge or freezer.
I can't tame wild women
But I can make tame women wild

zonie

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2018, 10:22:55 AM »
Back when we were kids our folks had basically unlimited access to a meat locker behind our house on the res in Oregon.   This is what my dad did at the time he would field dress/gut on the ground, get it in the truck, then back in camp  get the deer hanging by it's rear legs on a home made gimble usually a stick and a rope,  cut it's throat to let it bleed out more ,  skin it, wrap deer bags around the deer to keep the flys out and if it was pretty warm out he would take it too the meat locker and hang it and then come back to camp with the rest of the hunting party.  He didn't have the taxidermist do any mounts except bear , they were kids of the depression and food was more important than other things.  he would usually let them sit in there for about a week then mom and him would butcher.  Now this was in central Oregon before we moved to Arizona and I think the mule deer in Oregon tasted better than the mule deer in AZ and this I firmly believe has to do with what the deer eats,  just like a cow these old scraggly range cows we have where we live now just don't taste the same as a well fed mtn cow that eats healthy mtn grasses.   I still think if you let something hang in a locker for a week or so before butchering it does taste better, now if  it were a lousy piece of meat to begin with I don't think a meat locker is going to make any difference in taste.  I'm a little different since I've had too many bad experiences with our local so called wild game meat processors we as a family pretty much butcher ourselves with the exception of grinding hamburger which I have  guy who grinds and sleeve in 1 lb sleeves with 10 percent pork fat,  both deer and elk.  It's just so much easier on us especially if we 3 or 4 elk to grind,  he does so much better job than I can with his commercial equipment.  Arizona can be quite hot during hunting season , but it can freeze also,  we  don't cut the throats to bleed out and almost always skin on the ground mainly because we have a system down skinning whether it's the gutless method or skin and roll.  A lot of places it's too rugged to drag out in large pieces so we  bone them out where they lay then pack out.  In any case we have multiple large ice chests and get the meat cooled down as soon as possible,  we don't hang anything in a meat locker because we don't have access to one without paying, and I don't trust these local meat processors anyway.  If I had my own meat locker yes I would hang it for a week or so,  it doesn't hurt anything, and we can butcher at our leisure instead of a mad rush to get the animals cut up when we get home.   If this was 20/30 years ago and knowing what I know now I'd probably buy a small used meat locker and Hobart commercial grinder and do every thing my self, back then we ate a whole lot more red meat than we do today.   Whether hanging for a week or so  makes the meat taste any better is debatable just my opinion good well fed meat taste better than old rutting bull elk & deer or well fed mtn grass fed animals vs old desert range animals.  There is one exception and that's Coues deer vs mule deer those little white tails are just better tasting than either our mtn or desert mule deer.  Normally anymore I don't buy commercial game bags although I do keep a few elk sized bags in the hunting trailer, but rather I will go down to the thrift store and buy a few king sized sheets and duck tape around the deer/elk legs and neck  and close any openings.  Warm weather kills the meat got to get it cooled down and keep it cool.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 09:19:30 AM by zonie »

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2018, 10:46:14 AM »
I tell my beef processor I want to hang 21 days unless he sees that it won't go that long.17 days is a must though.Old timers say 21.
Retirement; The art of doing very little,very slowly

Expert; Someone who knows so much about so little

If you live in the swirl of the drain,inevitably you'll wind up in the cesspool.

Remember 10534

Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.

zonie

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2018, 10:48:47 AM »
Stuff I forgot,  my folks pressure cooked and canned / smoked a whole lot of food,  fish, meats , veggies, fruits, they also used home made dehydrators , etc.   When we butcher elk any more and this goes for deer also ,  the front quarters almost always goes to grind,  some of the other tough parts of the animal also goes in the grind pile.  Back straps, most of the rear qtr's , tenderloins, get cut into steaks then we vacuum sealed,   end pieces and the neck gets made into roasts and stew meat.  Here's my point I have all 3 of my moms old pressure cookers and I don't trust myself to use them so I bought a new electronic pressure cooker and what a difference it makes tenderizing on lousy cuts of meat.    We really don't eat as many steaks any more ,  both of us getting older and we enjoy more hamburger dishes.  I told my wife next elk we get I'm going to have it all ground up in hamburger and she said I don't think so, anyway that new pressure cooker can make an old  jack rabbit  taste pretty good with enough spices  ;D
« Last Edit: August 12, 2018, 06:45:19 PM by zonie »

eford

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2018, 12:42:23 PM »
The archery season starts here during the warm weather in Sept, and it is usually still decent in Oct. By the end Nov it is cold and that’s when rifle season starts. I don’t know of any hunter who ages their venison. As long as it’s cold and they’re not in a hurry, they’ll keep hunting. I’ve let one hang overnight and that was because I didn’t have time to finish it the night it was taken.
Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine.

Every man needs to know his limits.

« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2018, 03:32:11 PM »
I have Always tried to Hang my deer A week weather permitting. But I do have to say some of the best venison I ever had. Was road kill that was still warm when it hit the frying pan.
I was bow hunting my friend's farm I went out to hunt And he had to work late. When I came in from the hunt he was frying up cubed up pieces of venison.He Had found A doe on the side of the rd right by the farm. it wasn't there when I drove by maybe 3 hrs. max. before And I am telling you it was awesome. And I remember thinking doesn't this need to hang for A while.
Mark