Spike Camp

Christensen Arms Ridgeline Opinion?

Christensen Arms Ridgeline Opinion?
« on: August 11, 2018, 05:09:34 PM »
I know this is a Weatherby forum...and I own several Weatherbys, so hopefully they’ll forgive me for asking this question.

Does anyone have an opinion...good or bad...about Christensen Arms rifles? I’m mulling a purchase of a Ridgeline, but I wanted to get some opinions. I’m indifferent about the carbon wrapped barrel...on the fence about that feature.

Any opinions?
JK

musicman

• View Profile
Re: Christensen Arms Ridgeline Opinion?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2018, 02:40:28 PM »
From what I have read, they are on the top shelf of "custom" rifle makers.  Were they the ones extolling the virtues of their wildcat 6.5, based on the .257 Weatherby case, complete with a Venturi shoulder.  Or was that someone else.  There IS a custom builder in the College Station, TX area that also promotes that wildcat, but it was developed by one of the top tier custom builders a number of years ago.  MM

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2018, 02:29:03 PM »
Looking at one the day i bought my scope at Prophet river and it looked like they use a Sako receiver in those

PARA45

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2018, 07:24:37 PM »
Beautiful rifles, and I've also read good stuff on them.  My son wanted to buy a Mesa a while back, but someone beat him on bidding war.
Senator John Kennedy  " If you support defunding the police, you've tested positive for stupid".

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2018, 11:05:55 PM »
Hmmm...I don’t own a rifle with a carbon-wrapped barrel. Not saying they are good or bad...just that I don’t own one.

I may need to add one for something a little different.
JK

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2018, 07:00:41 AM »
JK, Like you I don't have an opinion good or bad (only know what I've read) about Christensen carbon barrels, but wondering how different theirs is from the the Weatherby MKV Carbon Mark. Same type barrel construction or not? I know (from reading) that Christensen has been making them for many years, so maybe their custom work surpasses the Weatherby standard production rifle?   
DosEquisShooter

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2018, 07:29:47 AM »
I had forgot Weatherby has a Carbon Fiber barrel rifle Dan. Good point. As far as advantages, Proof Research that makes the Weatherby barrel , says the barrel is 64% lighter, has less movement from barrel harmonics, and is 4X temperature resistant compared to steel.
JK: What caliber are you going to get?
« Last Edit: August 17, 2018, 07:35:24 AM by terminator »
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2018, 03:43:59 PM »
Well...I assume a carbon wrapped barrel will shoot fine for my purposes. A 500-600 yard shot would be a really long shot for me, I don’t look for or practice anywhere close to 1000 yards.

Also, I would assume if carbon wrapped barrels were more accurate than non-wrapped barrels, the professional benchrest shooters would be using them...which they’re not.  That’s ok...Christensen states sub-MOA accuracy and that would certainly do the trick.

I’ve been looking at the ballistics for the 28 Nosler and they look pretty darn good. I have A LOT of rifles...so I’m just looking to add something a little different.
JK

badsection

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2018, 03:51:34 PM »
I'd bet they said the same negative things (and still do) about Weatherby calibers as a carbon wrapped barrel. I need a reliable source of info. Get it!  LOL!

PARA45

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2018, 06:35:25 PM »
I'm old school in the fact that I want my barrel to be metal.  ;D  There Mesa model has a metal barrel, and very reasonably priced for the quality you are getting.
Senator John Kennedy  " If you support defunding the police, you've tested positive for stupid".

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2018, 07:07:34 PM »
If you are looking for something different, I say go for it.
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2018, 07:43:33 PM »
If you get the 28 Nosler l bet you like it
Have a friend that has one, l am impressed with that caliber with a 175 accubond LR