Spike Camp

Any Thoughts on These?

Any Thoughts on These?
« on: August 14, 2018, 05:45:05 PM »
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/430050/sierra-gamechanger-tipped-gameking-bullets-30-caliber-308-diameter-165-grain-polymer-tipped-spitzer-boat-tail-box-of-100

Any thoughts on these for 300Wby for Tennessee whitetail 20yds and out?

165gr Sierra "Gamechangers"

Appears to be the Sierra Gameking BTHP with polymer tip. Is 165gr (non bonded) too light for the 300 at close ranges?

Think bullet failure might be a problem at close range?

Re: Any Thoughts on These?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2018, 05:48:52 PM »
Whatcha think?

257 Shooter

• 257 Shooter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2018, 06:32:11 PM »
It all depends how fast you load them but yeah, a conventional 165 grain bullet at full power 300 Weatherby velocities will be really violent at close range.

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2018, 07:01:06 PM »
At one time l loaded 150  Sierra BT, in 300 win mag. It held together on SD whitetail
You test them in a recovery  medium of some type

dubyam

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2018, 09:18:04 PM »
I wouldn't. These will do a lot of meat damage. You're far better off with a stouter bullet. I use 180gr E-Tips in my 300Wby, but Partitions or bonded core stuff would work, too.

At 20yds, you're going to blow that bullet up at 3350fps.
I believe this is a practical world, and in it I can count only on what I can earn.  Therefore I believe in work, hard work. - The Auburn Creed
The older I get, the less stock I place in what men say, and the more I place in what men do. - Andrew Carnegie

badsection

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2018, 04:50:06 AM »
I have had such bullets fall apart on hogs at close shots(50yds.) with my7mm WSM.  I try to stick to Barnes, A-Frames or Partitions for  that reason.

dubyam

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2018, 06:53:15 AM »
I'll give you two examples of why I wouldn't use that bullet.

First, I use the 168gr Nosler Ballistic Tip in my 30-06, at about 2950fps. One doe I shot took a step down into a hole right as the sear released the striker, and the bullet hit her spine. Even at 185yds, with much lower velocity than you'll see from the 300Wby for a long ways out, the bullet exploded, destroying a ton of meat and taking a grapefruit sized chunk of her back out. Stuff happens, and I've had excellent results from that bullet on numerous other deer, when hit where I wanted, so I still use it. But such bullets are light enough in construction to cause problems when the design envelope is exceeded.

Second, contrasting the first, I shot a 175lb white-tail buck at 25yds with my 300Wby using the Nosler 180gr E-Tip. Bullet entered ribcage, souped the lungs, exited ribcage, and the buck dropped in his tracks. That is exactly the kind of performance wanted. That same rifle took a doe at 210yds later that day (legal in Alabama) and she also dropped in her tracks. Again, exactly the kind of performance I'm after.

Use the right bullet for the job. Swaged core with a tip is generally useful at muzzle velocities below 3000fps. For the 300Wby, you want something stouter, like bonded, partition, or monolithic. I prefer monolithic.
I believe this is a practical world, and in it I can count only on what I can earn.  Therefore I believe in work, hard work. - The Auburn Creed
The older I get, the less stock I place in what men say, and the more I place in what men do. - Andrew Carnegie

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2018, 10:01:13 AM »
Yeah I'm not really concerned about meat damage. Only real concern of mine is whether or not they would hold up so close range. Guess I'll just stick with my 180gr Sierras

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2018, 02:25:51 PM »
Few years back tried 117 sierra bt in a 257 wby, outcome wasnt good at close range. The deer was dead dead , but just destroyed lots of the eating part.

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2018, 10:38:10 AM »
I am using the game changer in 300 wby with 87.5 grains 7828 and love it. The bullet is so thick of copper that its not like a ballistic tip. Its bc is high. I also.use in a rem 06 and they are great. I have. tested in 300 wby do not be fooled by past or rumor. Its hard to hold a bullet together at 300 wby velocities.  Sierra has made a good one.  These outperform some of weatherbys factory loads. I like barnes but these are good and more accurate. Take your grinder and cut on a game king. Then cut on a game changer. Youll see the thickness.  I have long used 250 grain game kings in my 340 wby with 90 grains 7828 and if these ever come in 338 I will use these.
I shot into duoglas fir 87.5 grains 7828 with the 165 grain gamechanger clocked at 3410 and after retreiving the round weighed 158 grains from the 300 wby. Awesome accuracy as i also moly coated them.
Little small i feel for elk in terms of bullet weight but they might come out with some heavier bullets.

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2018, 11:29:56 AM »
Good info. Welcome to the Nation.
Any man who would compromise his freedom in pursuit of safety deserves neither freedom or safety...BF