Spike Camp

sako

sako
« on: August 19, 2018, 07:13:02 PM »
a friend of mine said his friend has for sell a sako in 300 wqeatherby.does any one have info on this rifle,barrel length sights stock ect?
it comes with ammo and a 3/9 leopould scope.cost is about 650.00$there is less then 70 rounds throught barrel. he bought it for a moose hunt.
gary b

musicman

• View Profile
Re: sako
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2018, 11:18:59 PM »
That sounds like something you should jump on tomorrow morning before he changes his mind.  I seem to remember that Sako offered some Weatherby calibers at one time, but I could be wrong.  I had the FULL collection of Gun Digests, where I could have looked that up for you.  But they all got lost in the flood.  Sako's almost ALWAYS, are great rifles.  MM

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2018, 06:33:48 AM »
You didn't give enough info for a qualified estimate but if you know the model number you can look on Gun Broker or guns America and get a good idea what it's worth.
I've never heard of a Sako that wouldn't shoot well and to be honest it sounds like he is giving it away so if you want it I would buy it.
TD

dubyam

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2018, 08:15:58 AM »
Sako definitely builds a quality rifle.  If the gun is one you like, and it fits you, that's a stellar price for anything other than a basic blued/tupperware stock setup.
I believe this is a practical world, and in it I can count only on what I can earn.  Therefore I believe in work, hard work. - The Auburn Creed
The older I get, the less stock I place in what men say, and the more I place in what men do. - Andrew Carnegie

PARA45

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2018, 06:07:37 PM »
Like others have said, Sako makes quality rifles, and they are shooters.  Need more info on the rifle, or maybe pictures to get an idea.  However, it does sound like a good deal.
Senator John Kennedy  " If you support defunding the police, you've tested positive for stupid".

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2018, 06:32:40 PM »
This sounds all most to good to be true,and you know what they say about that
Any man who would compromise his freedom in pursuit of safety deserves neither freedom or safety...BF

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2018, 08:07:44 PM »
When you figure in the scope, rings, ammo, that's half the price he is asking

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2018, 06:02:33 AM »
This sounds all most to good to be true,and you know what they say about that

X2
Retirement; The art of doing very little,very slowly

Expert; Someone who knows so much about so little

If you live in the swirl of the drain,inevitably you'll wind up in the cesspool.

Remember 10534

Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2018, 07:34:42 AM »
I wouldn't buy from a third party sight unseen. Definitely inspect the action(crank a round in and out of the chamber) check the barrel and the crown and the stock for slight cracks. View it with a cautious eye. The round count might be accurate as the 300 Wby isn't something you shoot all day long, and the original owner may have found the recoil to be a bit much. Maybe he does figure he's not going big game hunting anymore, and the rifle just sits in the safe collecting dust. Sounds like a good deal, but take a good hard look at it before you buy. Good Luck, hope it works out for you,
DosEquisShooter

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2018, 08:41:00 PM »
Personally if I were you there's only two words for what I'd do, buy it.  Sako is top notch, on the same level as Weatherby and in the same price range.  Even if the barrel is shot out, which I extremely doubt, the action, scope, and mounts are well worth that price and a good bit more. 
Nothing is better than a Weatherby, big bore magnum, or a Colt.

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2018, 08:49:54 PM »
Sakos are shooters, can't remember when they started the guarantee of 5 shots 1 moa or less. This is a heck of a deal . As said by other members before have a careful look if things look good go for it.

badsection

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2018, 03:05:58 PM »
Let us know how this turns out. I love a bargain, being a cheap bastard!   :)

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2018, 03:39:08 PM »
My Dad has a Sako Deluxe in .300 Winchester Magnum that he bought back in 1963 that has never had the zero knocked off even though it's fallen a few times over the years.  The one thing I like about them is their receivers are milled in a reverse taper which makes the base mount rock solid.  I found the receipt for it and he paid $267.00 for it, man I wish I could go back in time and buy a dozen or two at that price. 
Nothing is better than a Weatherby, big bore magnum, or a Colt.