Spike Camp

Accuracy expectations - Mk V Outfitter in .270 Win

Jon2

Accuracy expectations - Mk V Outfitter in .270 Win
« on: August 21, 2018, 03:02:47 AM »
Dear all

I'm considering buying a Mk V Outfitter in .270 Win.

What sort of accuracy (with hand loads) are people experiencing with this rifle?

Any info greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Re: Accuracy expectations - Mk V Outfitter in .270 Win
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2018, 09:33:23 AM »
Besides the sub-MOA guarantee, I'd imagine the accuracy for handloads depends on the loader.  This rifle is pretty much the same as the Ultra Lightweight. There are lots of posts on here of people bragging about the accuracy results of their ULWs.
"The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence."

Jon2

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2018, 11:13:01 AM »
Thanks Cbloom - I will do a search. It was only upon researching further after posting my thread that I discovered that this model (the Outfitter) has the same barrel profile as the ULW and essentially is the same rifle bar the coating as far as I can see so thanks and I will have a poke around as you suggest.

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2018, 11:16:36 AM »
Food for thought Jon2. If you are going to reload you might consider getting  a 270 Weatherby instead of the 270 Win.
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

eford

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2018, 09:14:36 PM »
I agree with Terminator concerning the advantages of a handloaded 270 Wby over its Winchester cousin. Those handloads will no doubt be less costly than factyammo and more accuysince they’ll be tuned to YOUR rifle.
Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine.

Every man needs to know his limits.

Jon2

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2018, 03:38:24 AM »
Thanks all.

The Outfitter is £2.5k GBP over here in the UK and is a special order so I'm just doing my research before I order one.

There seems to be indifferent reports on accuracy when I do a search - similar to the vibe relating to the Kimber 84 series of rifles and it could be because of the thin barrel perhaps. If I could get consistent .75 MOA out of one with hand loads I would be more than happy. It's a lot of money to fork out on something to find out it struggles to hold MOA.

With regards the .270 mag question - one of the main differentiators of this model of Mark V is the weight of course and I need it for shooting deer out to 300 yards or so maximum, so the .270 Win will be fine for what I'm intending doing. and keeping it as light as possible for use out on the hill.

Thanks for the input - very appreciated.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 03:40:33 AM by Jon2 »

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2018, 07:21:36 AM »
Since it cost so much and is a special order for you, I would suggest getting a RC certified model. That way, at least you would know up front, what factory ammo it will shoot sub moa. You can then use that as a baseline for developing good reloads.

Rob
cfp-223REM
accumark-223Rem
ultralite-240 Wby
synthetic-240 Wby
synthetic-257 Wby
ultralite-270 Wby
fibermark-270 Wby
accumark-270 Wby
accumark-7mm Wby
stainless-300 Wby
fibermark-300Wby
accumark-30378 Wby
fibermark-340 Wby
accumark-338378 Wby
custom-375 Wby
DGR-378 Wby
DGR-416 Wby
custom DGR-460 Wby

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2018, 07:36:51 AM »
Hello Jon2 and Welcome to the Nation! Here's my 2¢. As Cbloom, you, and myself all agree that the Outfitter and the ULV are basically the same rifle bar the coatings. Just in the last three years, the Mark V's were given the .99 MOA guarantee. Prior to that,(just for example in 2011) there were reports that the original ULV version had a trying time holding moa. Barrel heating in both the 270 Win. and the 270 Wby., might be attributed to barrel material technology not being what it is today, and the fact that the 270 Win. had a 24" barrel and the 270 Wby. had a 26 " with #1 contours. Besides the barrel heating in the 24 and 26" thinner barrels, vibrating in the channel would have added to the problem. Today the ULV like the Outfitter has a more rigid 22" barrel, still a #1 contour, to aid in reducing weight, but new Weatherby technology, and better and stronger materials is what allows the ULV to hold the .99 or less MOA. Most of the indifferent reports on accuracy that you read on the internet, I would venture to say are based on the older model rifles that were the pioneers of light weight rifles for Weatherby (even the pioneer rifles with enough cooling between shots would probably shoot MOA, and what I use to read was that on consecutive shots, two would hold MOA, with one flyer) One final plug for the ULV, its $500 dollars cheaper for the same quality and guarantees.**The 270 Win is a great caliber and 300 yard shots won't be a problem for a 22" barrel.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 08:27:50 AM by danno50 »
DosEquisShooter

Jon2

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2018, 02:01:23 PM »
Thanks Danno

That makes sense regarding the shorter barrel and hence the increased rigidity.

I will bare that in mind for sure.