Spike Camp

Electrocuted bird starts fire

Electrocuted bird starts fire
« on: August 24, 2018, 06:00:51 PM »
Came home at lunch today and saw VFD trucks in pasture across road from me finishing putting out a small pasture fire. This was next to my neighbors house that I hog hunt with.It didn't start from the roadway and no one had been in the pasture that we are aware of.My neighbor said he had been on the computer in his house when a power surge shut off his computer.I leave my TV on for Ruger and it was also off.The only thing they could find that might have started the fire was this bird with singed feathers in the pasture near to a power line and transformer.We are in a drought and the pasture was dry and like tinder.Best anyone can figure is the bird got zapped and some feathers were ignited and when it fell it set the grass on fire.
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

Re: Electrocuted bird starts fire
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2018, 06:15:19 PM »
That’s something you don’t see every day.
JK

DW5

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2018, 07:50:44 PM »
Transformer was most likely the cause of the bird’s demise, but that bird looks shifty, I’ll bet he was smoking and started the fire.  :D
You cant catch a fish without a hook in the water....

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2018, 08:12:40 PM »
Roger, Thats not a poppy seed pasture your neighbor has there is it? That bird looks happy ;D.
DosEquisShooter

BB340

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2018, 08:15:00 PM »
Yes I agree, that bird looks shifty alright... I bet it was up to no good!
Aussie gun nut.

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2018, 09:13:28 PM »
LMAO Guys
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

eford

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2018, 09:14:33 PM »
I’ve seen this with farm cats atop poles seeking whatever was in a nest.
Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine.

Every man needs to know his limits.

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2018, 08:00:27 AM »
I've seen this a few times, where a zapped bird starts a grass fire.

Rob

PARA45

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2018, 03:20:38 PM »
Oh sh*t, that is funny and terrible at the same time.  Glad FD was able to contain it in time, and no one was hurt, besides the bird.
Senator John Kennedy  " If you support defunding the police, you've tested positive for stupid".

badsection

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2018, 03:57:50 PM »
One less bird to crap on my windshield!   ;D

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2018, 11:47:55 PM »
I've seen range fires coming to a road and the VFD thinks oh good this hwy is going to help us stop this fire from spreading,and a few field mice or a skunk will run across the road on fire and start the burn on the other side of the road.
Retirement; The art of doing very little,very slowly

Expert; Someone who knows so much about so little

If you live in the swirl of the drain,inevitably you'll wind up in the cesspool.

Remember 10534

Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2018, 12:11:48 AM »
I've seen range fires coming to a road and the VFD thinks oh good this hwy is going to help us stop this fire from spreading,and a few field mice or a skunk will run across the road on fire and start the burn on the other side of the road.

I've seen this lots fighting forest fires, we get a nice fire line cut with the dozers, and a rabbit on fire runs across it and starts the other side on fire  >:(

Rob

musicman

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2018, 11:50:28 AM »
I always wondered how the fires crossed the highways and fire-breaks so often.  Burning animals; that makes total sense.  When we had the huge Bastrop fire a number of years ago, many of the volunteers had PTS syndrome afterward, from seeing all of burning animals.  They did send people out ahead of the blaze to cut barb wire fences to let cattle and horses run, thinking that at some point, people would get them all sorted out.  I bet it is horrible out in California.  MM

musicman

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2018, 12:00:58 PM »
Every couple of years, we will have a squirrel take out that big fuse that is up above the transformer.
What amazes me, is how the electric co-op guy will replace it with that long yellow pole; about as easy as I zip up my pants.  If you google "Images of man electrocuted while stealing electrical wire" you will see some absolutely ghastly photos.  Hint to the unwise:  DO NOT try to steal electrical wire while it is still juiced.  MM

badsection

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2018, 12:39:38 PM »
It's called a hot stick, MM !  The fire dept. here carries them, too to pull the fuse on the pole in case of a electrical fire. It's fairly common in these 60 year old houses  here that never had any upgrades on the electric service.  :)