Spike Camp

Fibermark 30-06

Fibermark 30-06
« on: August 24, 2018, 09:52:56 PM »
 You guys probably hate it when a somebody signs up and his first post is "what's my rifle worth", but this one is proving hard to value.
 It's a Fibermark 30-06 26" that I bought in the 80s. I shot one Elk with it and it's been in the safe ever since, waiting for the next Elk hunt. Now I'm too old and gimpy to use it and thinking about trading it off, but the dealers around Spokane WA don't know what to think about it. It seems to be the non Weatherby caliber that throws them, and of course all the cheaper Weatherby's that have come along since. I'd appreciate any advice.
 I generally prefer to trade, rather than sell, guns but I'm wondering if this is unusual enough that I should sell it on Gunbroker. I have an account there but I've never sold anything, I'm a much better buyer than seller.
 Thanks

Re: Fibermark 30-06
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2018, 10:38:01 AM »
 Reading on line about Fibermarks it appears that they were made for many more years with a different stock, that some criticized. I'm pretty sure my stock is a Mc Millan, can anyone confirm that or tell me how to verify?

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2018, 11:30:54 AM »
Sorry I don't know the answer to your questions. To try to find a price my best bet would be to check GunBroker Gunsamerica etc to find one similar that is being sold.Good luck.
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2018, 02:25:22 PM »
Welcome to the site, I had one of the first Fiber marks in 300WBY. and the stock is a McMillan, it has a white diamond on the pistol grip. I did not know that they made standard calibers with a 26" barrel. Don't know a value but I would think at least $750 if it is in like new condition. By the way is that a 9 lug or 6 lug action?
« Last Edit: August 25, 2018, 02:27:23 PM by oregonmarkv »
John

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2018, 05:04:05 PM »
Welcome to the site, I had one of the first Fiber marks in 300WBY. and the stock is a McMillan, it has a white diamond on the pistol grip. I did not know that they made standard calibers with a 26" barrel. Don't know a value but I would think at least $750 if it is in like new condition. By the way is that a 9 lug or 6 lug action?

Just counted 9 lugs.

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2018, 11:12:46 PM »
Most were 24 inchers so being 26 might help some.If I remember right it had a white spacer on the pistol grip and one between the butt pad and the stock.Being a 30-06 instead of a Weatherby Magnum it's probably worth 6 or 700 bucks unless you run onto a guy that's exactly what he's been looking for a couple years.It might be a great rifle to pull the barrel on and do a new build on the 9 lug action.
Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.

I try to avoid temptation unless I can't resist it.

Everyone has a photographic memory.Some just don't have film.

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2018, 10:14:16 AM »
Most were 24 inchers so being 26 might help some.If I remember right it had a white spacer on the pistol grip and one between the butt pad and the stock.Being a 30-06 instead of a Weatherby Magnum it's probably worth 6 or 700 bucks unless you run onto a guy that's exactly what he's been looking for a couple years.It might be a great rifle to pull the barrel on and do a new build on the 9 lug action.

White line on the Pachmayer recoil pad and white diamond on the grip, all black otherwise.

dubyam

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2018, 12:25:37 PM »
The white line and diamond indicate McMillan stocks. When the switch (briefly to HSP and then to B&C) occurred, the white line and diamonds disappeared, as did the separate pistol grip pad (full oval) like on the wood stocks. The latter synthetic stock makers have a swept pistol grip which melds directly into the buttstock, rather than having separate prominence
I believe this is a practical world, and in it I can count only on what I can earn.  Therefore I believe in work, hard work. - The Auburn Creed
The older I get, the less stock I place in what men say, and the more I place in what men do. - Andrew Carnegie

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2018, 05:48:41 PM »
I'm pretty sure that those had 2 metal pressure points on the forearm instead of the pressure point being a bump in the stock channel.The bluing was high gloss too or at least better than the syn's that started coming out a few years later.
Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.

I try to avoid temptation unless I can't resist it.

Everyone has a photographic memory.Some just don't have film.

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2018, 07:49:05 PM »
I'm pretty sure that those had 2 metal pressure points on the forearm instead of the pressure point being a bump in the stock channel.The bluing was high gloss too or at least better than the syn's that started coming out a few years later.

Mine is matte finish, looks good.