Spike Camp

First bolt action rifle - verify the mounts are correct

First bolt action rifle - verify the mounts are correct
« on: August 24, 2018, 10:04:05 PM »
Hi y'all, so I recently purchased a Vanguard deluxe sport, a Walmart-only series I think,  and I couldn't find any mounts specifically for the vanguard. However, I was told that Remington 700 mounts will work. So I bought a pair, 2 pc, and installed it on the rifle. It appears to fit but there's a lip or a small portion of the mounts hanging, see pics attached. I've only shot/hunted with AR style rifles and picatinny rails. So basically I wanted to verify with you all that this will have no effect on the accuracy of the scope. I doubt it will but figured I'll ask the experts 😎 . 

dubyam

• View Profile
Re: First bolt action rifle - verify the mounts are correct
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2018, 11:28:45 PM »
Those will work.  The front one can be reversed, most likely, to push the overhang out toward the front of the action, where it won't interfere with cartridges ejecting.

Welcome to the Nation, and congratulations on a fine rifle!
I believe this is a practical world, and in it I can count only on what I can earn.  Therefore I believe in work, hard work. - The Auburn Creed
The older I get, the less stock I place in what men say, and the more I place in what men do. - Andrew Carnegie

BB340

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2018, 04:31:16 PM »
Yep plus one to what dubyam said. I done exactly as he said, reverse your front base so as it won't interfere with ejected rounds.
Welcome to the nation and nice rifle too.
Aussie gun nut.

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2018, 01:54:30 PM »
You need either Vanguard or Howa 1500 bases. I could explain why but it's lengthy and boring so I'll just say, get the Tally integral bases and rings from the Weatherby website or from Amazon and get on with shooting moa groups.
What doesn't kill you will make you stronger, except bears. Bears will kill you...

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2018, 02:11:14 PM »
The Howa 1500/Remington 700 bases will look like they fit on your Vanguard.  They ain't the same! When you can't zero the scope, Talley will gladly exchange them for the correct ones, or you can shim the hell out of the ones you have. Stupid stuff learned the hard way! Midway and Talley online will verify my statements.  :)

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2018, 12:35:08 PM »
"The Howa 1500/Remington 700 bases will look like they fit on your Vanguard.  They ain't the same! When you can't zero the scope, Talley will gladly exchange them for the correct ones, or you can shim the hell out of the ones you have. Stupid stuff learned the hard way! Midway and Talley online will verify my statements.  :) "

So what your saying is I need to buy a new base for my Vanguard if I bought the rail for Howa 1500/ Weatherby Vanguard ? Rem 700. What do i need to do to make it fit?

petey

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2018, 03:48:25 PM »
I never used mounts before because I've seen so much confusion.  I always just ordered the talley lightweight rings directly from Weatherby.  They say "Vanguard" right on them and I've never had an issue.

http://www.weatherby.com/products/accessories/gun-parts/vanguardr-lightweight-scope-mounts.html

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2018, 05:33:08 AM »
Sounds like the easiest plan of attack for sure. Now does anyone know if I can get away with Low rings and a 50MM scope?
« Last Edit: August 31, 2018, 07:25:17 AM by flyinstroke »

dubyam

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2018, 12:07:58 PM »
"The Howa 1500/Remington 700 bases will look like they fit on your Vanguard.  They ain't the same! When you can't zero the scope, Talley will gladly exchange them for the correct ones, or you can shim the hell out of the ones you have. Stupid stuff learned the hard way! Midway and Talley online will verify my statements.  :) "

So what your saying is I need to buy a new base for my Vanguard if I bought the rail for Howa 1500/ Weatherby Vanguard ? Rem 700. What do i need to do to make it fit?

The mounts you have will likely work.  It's the double-dovetails where Leupold seems to have major QC issues.  Just know that you might end up with some misalignment of your scope, so don't tighten down the rings until you've verified the ring bottoms are level with one another (use a straight edge).  If they're not, return those rings and bases and order the Talleys.  Or if you just want near perfection, return them unopened and order the Talleys.  But my suspicion is those will work, as long as you check them properly first.
I believe this is a practical world, and in it I can count only on what I can earn.  Therefore I believe in work, hard work. - The Auburn Creed
The older I get, the less stock I place in what men say, and the more I place in what men do. - Andrew Carnegie

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2018, 12:54:46 PM »

[/quote]
Tried Burris medium rings on my vanguard with a 50 mm Pro Staff and didn't work. Had to use high rings. The Tally may be different
« Last Edit: August 31, 2018, 12:56:19 PM by canadian reloarder »

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2018, 03:58:18 PM »
The low Talley one piece rings are actually quite tall compared to Leupold so they may work. I have lots of clearance on my Weatherbys with 40mm scopes.
John

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2018, 08:18:49 AM »
I have Talley one piece medium rings for my 42mm AO Burris and it barely had enough clearance. You may be able to get away with medium rings sitting on bases with a 50mm objective but I doubt it. If you haven't already ordered any I would order high rings.

Pic is Talley medium rings with 42mm AO
« Last Edit: September 01, 2018, 08:46:00 AM by CptnAwesome »

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2018, 02:31:19 PM »
The Tally low rings should be ok. I ordered a set of low Tally's for my Mark V and they substituted Remington 700 medium rings. Apparently the bad info syndrome about Weatherby bases and rings has spread widely. With that said, it is really hard to find a set of Tally low rings. I kept them because I'm building a highly accurized 700 at the moment and I may use them. Just an FYI, watch the rear mount screws. The ones for a 700 are too long and will interfere with the bolt. I have an assortment of #6 screws so I just substituted in the right lenght. However, when I leveled the rifle at the back of the receiver and then checked the rear mount it was good but the front mount was out about a quarter bubble. What that tells me is that the curve of the front of the reciever on the 700 is different than the Weatherby. You can bed them and fix those types of issues but it's better to just get the correct rings and bases.
What doesn't kill you will make you stronger, except bears. Bears will kill you...

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2018, 02:54:38 PM »
Give Talley a call or an email with the scope info.  They are great to deal with! 

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2018, 11:31:42 AM »
I just called Talley to see what size scope rings I needed for my Mark V. I have a 50mm Objective Leupold, and they said high rings.