Spike Camp

First bolt action rifle - verify the mounts are correct

Re: First bolt action rifle - verify the mounts are correct
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2018, 10:31:29 PM »
I just called Talley to see what size scope rings I needed for my Mark V. I have a 50mm Objective Leupold, and they said high rings.

Yes, that would be correct. I was in Sportsman's Warehouse today and I had they just finished put a Leupold VX6 on a Vanguard and they used high rings.
What doesn't kill you will make you stronger, except bears. Bears will kill you...

« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2018, 07:55:10 AM »
 Is there no steel base available for the Vanguard? That seems like a shame.

dubyam

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2018, 09:01:49 AM »
Sure, there are steel bases available for the Vanguard.  Everything from simple steel Weaver-style bases on up to nice steel Talleys which will cost you as much as you want to pay.
I believe this is a practical world, and in it I can count only on what I can earn.  Therefore I believe in work, hard work. - The Auburn Creed
The older I get, the less stock I place in what men say, and the more I place in what men do. - Andrew Carnegie

« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2018, 12:57:34 PM »
NightForce makes the correct base for the Vanguard/Howa 1500. It is their Standard Duty base which is Aluminum and is fine for the Vanguard. These are a full length rail and I just put one on my Vanduard 270. No problems loading the magazine. Unlike the mounts for the Rem 700 that are said to fit, these actually fit perfect. If you have a Magnum you can bed the base if you're afraid of breaking a screw. I don't know how long they've been making these. I never thought of looking for them at NightForce.
What doesn't kill you will make you stronger, except bears. Bears will kill you...

« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2018, 10:18:51 PM »
I ended up getting a Leupold scope and the Smith told me the everything but the scope rings and mount will last a lifetime. Guess I'll have to get Talley rings for next year hunting season. :P
« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 12:25:15 AM by Jayvan »