Spike Camp

Weatherby .257 Magnum Mark V

Weatherby .257 Magnum Mark V
« on: August 29, 2018, 10:37:31 AM »
Hi, Weatherby's archives are unavailable right now so I was hoping someone here might be able to help me out.

At a gun show last weekend, I found a Weatherby Mark V .257 Magnum (actually I found 4). The one I finally bought had a stock that looked like it was finished with a paint brush and the bore was coppered up but the lands did not look bad. The action wasn't as smooth as I thought it should be but i could see the dirt in it so I took a chance. The guy wanted 1500.00 for it with an old fogged up Leupold scope so I offered hin 1000.00 and told him to keep the scope. We settled on 1100.00 and I walked out a little more than skeptical about this rifle I had bought.

Anyway, the serial number is 28779 and there is no prefix. It's marked as made in Germany and the Mark V is stamp is just that with "PattentPending" below it. The only other markings are .257 Magnum and Weatherby. It is not marked Southgate as one might expect. Weatherby info seems to indicate that it's a Pre-Mark V. Both FN Mauser and Brevex Mauser are listed as having no pre-fix. I'm suspecting that it's an FN Mauser but I suppose it could be a Brevex.

If anyone can provide me with more info on this rifle I would truly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance

The pic's attached are the before and after's.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 05:21:06 PM by sschefer »
What doesn't kill you will make you stronger, except bears. Bears will kill you...

224KING

• View Profile
Re: Weatherby .257 Magnum Mark V
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2018, 03:43:17 PM »
Early Sauer and Sohn made Mark V.
Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.

I try to avoid temptation unless I can't resist it.

Everyone has a photographic memory.Some just don't have film.

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2018, 04:22:35 PM »
Early Sauer and Sohn made Mark V.

Anything is possible but without a letter prefix on the serial number it's a Pre-Mark V meaning that the patent was still pending. Mine even say's Mark V patent pending. I've been getting some responses on other sites and some serial number doc's that I believe makes it a 1960 FN Mauser Action and final assembly took place in Southgate even though there's no Southgate markings. So, it is one of the originals and if all the others are destroyed it might have some special value but for now, I got it at a fair price. Sure glad I passed on the 2,475.00 one... LOL..
« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 05:07:45 PM by sschefer »
What doesn't kill you will make you stronger, except bears. Bears will kill you...

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2018, 05:24:42 PM »
Welcome to the Nation! Thats a great looking rifle, no matter when it was born, but good luck on getting the history on it.
DosEquisShooter

257 Shooter

• 257 Shooter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2018, 06:20:34 PM »
That's a MarkV action not a Mauser. Early MarkVs were made in Germany. Looks nice.

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2018, 07:20:30 PM »
It aint a Mauser bud,it's a Mark V.You are probably right on date made though.
Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2018, 08:48:24 PM »
Agree that it's not a Mauser. I think it's a Sauer & Son's and possibly built at Southgate. This seems to kind of be a sketchy documentation period which is odd for the super meticulous Row Weatherby. I've got the book coming maybe I can glean a little more info from that.

Now that I know it's no collector, I'm going to pillar bed it and free float the barrel.

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2018, 10:14:40 AM »
I'm glad you are getting the book.Good read,lots of info,and entertaining.

There were some 23,000 Mark V's built by Sauer and Sohn before one's built with the "P" in front of SN.

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2018, 02:14:34 PM »
I'm glad you are getting the book.Good read,lots of info,and entertaining.

There were some 23,000 Mark V's built by Sauer and Sohn before one's built with the "P" in front of SN.

Weatherby has some serial number/manufacturer info and it suggests FN Mauser or Brevix but I have the High Pressure bolt that neither the FN or Brevix had so that puts it firmly into the J.P Sauer and Sohns line since Howa wasn't even in the picture yet. The story I dug up said that FN told Weatherby that the 200,000 PSI bolt could not be done so he went to Sauer and they said yes. I've also found information that the barrels were made in the USA but mine has the German Federal stamp with the N below and the Kiel which looks more like an oak leaf on mine. That tells me it was a german made barrel but the rifle was likely sent back to the US for assembly and I'm guessing that it went to Southgate.

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2018, 07:03:52 PM »
When you get the book it will be as if someone turned on a light in a pitch dark room even though I have found some discrepancies in the book compared to real life numbers.

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2018, 10:50:35 PM »
Well it took two days of soaking and scrubbing but I finally got all the copper and carbon out of it. It was the worst barrel as far as copper and carbon layers, that I had ever had to clean. The good news is that the bore is now clean and shinny from the chamber to the crown and the lands look to be in pretty good shape. I've never seen one this bad but from what I understand, it's not all that uncommon. Anyway, it's all clean now. I also have the barrel inlets sanded and relieved so that the barrel will float and I'll be adding aluminum pillar posts tomorrow and then bedding the action and floor plate in JB Weld. The barrel inlet will get a bed of Acraglass but the barrel will still be free floated the thickness of Gorilla Tape which is about 30 mil. Once all that is done, the inlets will all get a fresh coat of Shellac to keep moisture out. I also ordered a Timney Trigger for it.

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2018, 06:20:08 AM »
With all that project work, sounds like you'll have that Mark V shooting sub moa groups again soon. The pictures of the stock show some very nice wood figure, but you mention that it looked like it was finished with a paint brush. Does that mean it looks streaked up close? Are you going to re-finish the stock and does it have the fine checkering?
DosEquisShooter

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2018, 04:19:38 PM »
With all that project work, sounds like you'll have that Mark V shooting sub moa groups again soon. The pictures of the stock show some very nice wood figure, but you mention that it looked like it was finished with a paint brush. Does that mean it looks streaked up close? Are you going to re-finish the stock and does it have the fine checkering?

Originally it was a combination of light and dark (mostly light) quarter sawn walnut. At somepoint, someone tried to refinish it and used a brush with very little prep work. You can't see it in the pictures but it really looked bad or should I say embarrassing. I stripped it down and then stained it with a Dark Walnut stain that I didn't allow to soak in. I got what I wanted in the color and brought out the tiger stripes with that added benefit being that scratches and dings can be fixed without too much work.

This morning I finished the rifle. The barrel is free floated at .030 over the stock. The aluminum pillar posts are in and the action is fully bedded. I also installed a Timney trigger and have it set to 2.5lbs. The action feels like it's new. The bolt is smooth as glass now with no slop. I suspect that over the years, fiber crush of the wood had the action under stress. Every time the floorplate screws were tightened it just added more stress. When I was finished with the machining and inletting I wet sanded it one last time with 2000g paper and then spayed 3 more coats on it. I think it's done now. Beauty is only skin deep though, I've got to get out and shoot it now.

One interesting thing was the layers of copper over carbon in the barrel. It was bad. I alternated between Hope #9 and 10% ammonia for two days and I still have doubts the I got it all out.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 04:24:13 PM by sschefer »

Blackbear3

• In God We Trust!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2018, 09:38:41 PM »
Order a bottle of BTE-bore tech eliminator and make sure you don't use a bronze jag and brush or you'll get a false positive. It's one of the favorite copper removers here by Nation members.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 10:48:18 PM by Blackbear3 »
We stand for the Flag, and we kneel for the fallen!!!

Doug-NRA Life Member

« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2018, 06:39:06 AM »
Order a bottle of BTE-bore tech eliminator and make sure you don't use a bronze jag and brush or you'll get a false positive. It's one of the favorite copper removers here by Nation members.

Thanks for the info.