Spike Camp

Speer bullets

eford

• View Profile
Re: Speer bullets
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2018, 08:55:57 AM »
This is how accurate the Speer’s can be. I shot this group @ 100 yards from a sitting position using tall sticks.
Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine.

Every man needs to know his limits.

« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2018, 11:56:44 AM »
Thanks to all for the information.I am going to order some and give them a shot.
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

juan

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2018, 09:40:01 AM »
Hello friends. I will try to post an image about shooting iday yesterdar. There are five shoots 308 W with Sauer 101  Rifle distance 100 meters and speer bullet SP 165 grains into less of one inch. I do this for show you precision of that bullet.(Iwas forgetting HOR COR MODEL
Salutes.
Juan, from Argentina
« Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 09:57:39 AM by juan »
Why make things easy if you can make it difficult?

« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2018, 09:59:03 AM »
Great shooting Juan.
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2018, 10:56:48 AM »
I use the 145 grain Grand Slams in my 7x57 Mauser load and am working up a load with the 350 grain Uni-Cors for my 45-70.  In my experience with them in the 7x57 they're MOA or better accurate and do the job well.  The only experience I have so far with the Uni-Cors is in the Federal Classic loads, which Federal calls the Hot-Cores for some reason.  I get around a MOA group give or take with them in my Marlin 1895.
Nothing is better than a Weatherby, big bore magnum, or a Colt.

« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2018, 05:22:37 PM »
My Original deer load for my 30-06 I used the speer 150  boat tail. With 59 gr. Of Imr 4350.
I switched to the nosler solid base because one came apart. But never lost a deer. I see they still make them. Might just buy A box.
Mark

« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2018, 05:27:09 PM »
I would like to order some .375 bullets like the 270 and 285 grain bullets.
Chris Kiefner

NRA Life Member

« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2018, 08:12:15 PM »
My Original deer load for my 30-06 I used the speer 150  boat tail. With 59 gr. Of Imr 4350.
I switched to the nosler solid base because one came apart. But never lost a deer. I see they still make them. Might just buy A box.

You might want to try the 165 BT, they are good on whitetail

juan

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2018, 08:34:15 PM »
What interesting post it is. I have 20 Speer 165 grains bullets only and 100 of 150 grains. I will reload the firsts only for hunting and I will keep that bullets very well because in my country there are not dealers. In Argentina, my country, it is very difficult obtain that things and day by day it is more poor than the most poor hunting accesories market. It is a pity, because it is a great country, big, extensives land ant hunting lands, but it is lit it is and authoryties are doing all possible for win the first place premium in this fact.
Now, reading my posts I think that I have to give you my excuses about my bad english lenguage. Dont think please that I do it intentionally. I post by  basics instint and a little knoledge since I was an student. I dont like to use dictionary or translator books. Please, sorry friends-
I enjoy very much reading your post because I learn a lot. I always say you are the best  people with practice and experience in guns.
Sincerely, Juan, from Argentina.

« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2018, 08:49:27 AM »
juan, don't worry about your English, we can understand what your saying, it's all cool.  8)  There was times when I was younger, we didn't have a lot of choice in reloading componants either, we had to use what the small local store had available, but the ammo we reloaded still worked  8)

Rob

« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2018, 09:30:20 AM »
juan, don't worry about your English, we can understand what your saying, it's all cool.  8)  There was times when I was younger, we didn't have a lot of choice in reloading componants either, we had to use what the small local store had available, but the ammo we reloaded still worked  8)

Rob

+1

juan

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2018, 10:33:49 AM »
 :)thank you very much
« Last Edit: September 04, 2018, 10:35:45 AM by juan »

« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2018, 11:00:59 AM »
Speer is a quality bullet. While I don't use them much for hunting purposes, Speer Gold Dots are are one of the most commonly carried bullets by law enforcement. There is a reason for that - performance. I carry them every day and trust them 100%. There are so many decent hunting bullets out there these days it's not hard to find a good brand and bullet. Bullet technology sure has come a long way since I was young. The old Core-Lokt bullets were pretty good in their day and still not actually bad, even by today's standards.
Come and take it.

zonie

« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2018, 03:55:50 PM »
Used Speer hot cores and boat tails for years in the 270's, 30 cals, & 243.    Norma shot that Wyoming antelope with a little speer 85 grain boat tail  when we were up there,  blew right thru.  Use to use  a 270 cal 130 gr boat tail as my accuracy  test benchmark standard and deer bullets  these were older bullets,  current 30 cal boat tails are OK, but not my accuracy benchmark.    Hot core's have always worked for us.  The 130 gr 270 and 85 gr 243 boat tails in our rifles shoot one ragged hole groups. 

« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2018, 08:50:03 PM »
What interesting post it is. I have 20 Speer 165 grains bullets only and 100 of 150 grains. I will reload the firsts only for hunting and I will keep that bullets very well because in my country there are not dealers. In Argentina, my country, it is very difficult obtain that things and day by day it is more poor than the most poor hunting accesories market. It is a pity, because it is a great country, big, extensives land ant hunting lands, but it is lit it is and authoryties are doing all possible for win the first place premium in this fact.
Now, reading my posts I think that I have to give you my excuses about my bad english lenguage. Dont think please that I do it intentionally. I post by  basics instint and a little knoledge since I was an student. I dont like to use dictionary or translator books. Please, sorry friends-
I enjoy very much reading your post because I learn a lot. I always say you are the best  people with practice and experience in guns.
Sincerely, Juan, from Argentina.

Haha... I always enjoy reading your posts Juan. I know what you're saying.