Spike Camp

What Where and When are you hunting this fall and winter?

Re: What Where and When are you hunting this fall and winter?
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2018, 04:04:55 PM »
Man Zonie! You need a howitzer hunting out there!

zonie

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2018, 04:11:47 PM »
Thanks it's actually stunning country how beautiful parts of it can be.  We do have pretty decent optics, Zeiss, Steiner, Minox and Kowa,  along with Leica and Vortex randefinders.   I will be using a 300 wby with Vortex 6.5x20 and my wife will be using a vanguard 6.5 creed moor with Nikon scope.  I actually might use the 6.5 creed moor as well.   One issue in keeping with game & fish recommendations is the use of lead free bullets in the Condor area hunt units.    G & F sent out a free voucher for one box each for lead free ammo or lead free bullets which my wife's 6.5 bullets came in yesterday.   Loaded them up last night for us to test later this week, The reason up in Kaibab and the Strip is a Condor release area and they don't want the Condor's eating lead filled  gut piles,  it's not mandatory as of yet and in the past G & F has given us lead free ammo when drawn and hunting the Kaibab so why not.   I went ahead and bought an extra 5 boxes of Barnes 6.5,  127 gr LRX ammo just to be on the safe side for her rifle.   Most of this stuff where we will be hunting is sage brush and some is pretty tall so glassing is the order of the day. 

CptnAwesome,  you are right we could run into some really long shots,  my wife is a little worried  about muffing a shot and I can't blame her.  There are some other areas on both the south and the east side which have way more vegetation,  just depends on where the deer are I guess.   I've got her shooting 5 " groups  @ 600 yds with the creed moor.   she has one of those Caldwell field pods which holds the rifle front and back while sitting, pretty steady actually , but whether she can see over the sage brush while sitting  with the field pod or not is another story.   The good part is our son is going up with us to help spot deer,  I can't see them worth a darn unless they are moving whereas both of them have great eyes. 

I'm glad we took the quads up , one particular road we wanted to get on was not passible by our vehicle washed out in multiple places, the quads , side by side's,  and really really high clearance 4x4's would no doubt make it thru as long as it didn't rain when you got in there then you might have a problem getting out.   next year we may up grade to a side by side, but I'm having second thoughts as to being out there alone with no cell phone coverage and broke down and stuck ( getting older ) at least with 2 or more quads and I've broke down out there and had to be towed back to camp more than once  by my wife or friends and their quads, and it's no fun. 

I'm kind of a map freak ,  I don't think you can have enough hunting maps, and unfortunately none of them are perfect,  I picked up a couple new maps,  Rugged maps are cloth maps very tuff ,  the Nat Geo maps are probably the most accurate unless you get very current Forest service maps,  BLM maps are pretty good also and not too expensive.  Yes I use GPS topo maps, but I still like breaking out a piece of paper and looking it over. 
« Last Edit: September 12, 2018, 05:55:05 PM by zonie »

BB340

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2018, 06:35:48 PM »
Looks like an awesome place to hunt Zonie. Hope you have a fantastic time.  8)
Aussie gun nut.