Spike Camp

Off to South Africa.

Re: Off to South Africa.
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2018, 08:25:24 PM »
Very Nice Best of luck to you and your Wife.
And yes lots of pics.
Mark

BB340

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2018, 08:49:45 PM »
Thanks for the well wishes guys. Sure is going to be a fun time over there. I will be sure to have plenty of photos because my missus is a photographer lol.
Aussie gun nut.

BB340

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2018, 08:52:56 PM »
No wonder you're excited; be safe and bag lots of trophies. I'd dearly love to see videos of the baboon hunt.

Well you may get to see us hunting them as I am having the whole hunt professionally filmed by a videographer. So when they have put a dvd together I will post it online.   
Aussie gun nut.

BB340

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2018, 09:02:20 PM »
What case are you using? Btw those are great looking rifles.I like that you are not afraid to use them.

Roger it is a Starlight Case. Thanks mate. Yep I buy 'em to use and not be safe queens. I was hoping my gunsmith would of had the new exquisit stocks made for them in time to go. You see the stock on the .460 has cracked and whilst it has been repaired you can still see the cracks. So I am having matching custom stocks made for them both. I have had matching engraved floor plates done for them, with the only difference being and Impala is on the .257 and a cape buff on the .460.
But I have just bought a near new Japanese .300 wby so I am going to use it in the matching stock to go with the .460.
I will post heaps of photos of the 3 when they are done. 
Aussie gun nut.

BB340

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2018, 09:09:49 PM »
BB, congrats brother, glad you are heading back to the Dark Continent.  Great selection of calibers, and outstanding selection of games you are planning on taking.  BTW, the Blesbuck was my hardest animal to take.  We crawled on our hands and knees to for about 600 yds, them critters where hanging out with zebras & wildebeest, we had tons of eyes looking for any sign of trouble.  I finally took a shot at a very nice ram at about 185 yds.  I hunted not too far from where you are going to be.  Nice area!

Nyala & Bush Buck are on top pf my bucket list for when I head back.  I want to finish the spiral horn slam.  ;D ;D

BB, do you know who is the Taxidermist they use?  Do not use Highveld Taxidermy, they are the ones who did my animals, and they SUCK!!!

Again good luck brother, safe travels, and looking forward to reading your hunting report.

Thanks Oscar. It sure is going to be a great trip. The wife has never been and only being new to hunting she is extremely excited to go.
I have only seen photos of the area and you are right it sure is beautiful there.
Wow is that all you have left for the spiral horn slam. Well I hope you get back there sooner rather than later and complete your quest.

I am not sure who the taxidermist is, however I will be getting my trophies sent back to Australia as dried skins and will have my local taxidermist mount them for me. I have heard to many horror stories about people having their hard fought and expensive trophies ruined by the cowboy taxidermists in Africa.

Again thanks mate and I will give you all a hunt report when I return.
Aussie gun nut.

BB340

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2018, 09:17:24 PM »
Please give us the run down on how the various hunts went, and what you did that worked. I want to do an African big game hunt someday.

Sure will eford. The outfitter I am using has already gone out of his way to make my hunt better. He has built a swivel chair in the back of his truck complete with rifle holder/rest so as to make it easier to take some plains game. Plus they made a ramp for me to go up so as I can get in the back of the truck easier.
He has had wheelchair hunters before and one wanted a cape buff. They sat in a blind overlooking a watering hole and he took a nice bull. I however want to try and stalk one from my wheelchair. I want the bull to be able to attack me if it chooses to. Buffalo are called dangerous game, so why would I want to take the danger out of it. I said that to the PH and he said if that's how I want to do it then that is how we will do it.
Aussie gun nut.

PARA45

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2018, 06:21:29 AM »
BB, looking forward to reading your report, and seeing pictures.  I can't wait. Good call on getting your trophies done back home.  Yup, horror stories is an understatement, you pay good money, and they wipe their a$$es with you since there is nothing that can be done once you are back home.  It is terrible, and unfortunately I am one of those victims. 

"I want the bull to be able to attack me if it chooses to. Buffalo are called dangerous game, so why would I want to take the danger out of it. I said that to the PH and he said if that's how I want to do it then that is how we will do it."  Love the spirit brother, and way to do it the right way.  I hope you get a big & old crusty Daga Boy.  I wish I was going with you.  Again, good luck brother!

Senator John Kennedy  " If you support defunding the police, you've tested positive for stupid".

« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2018, 03:07:43 PM »
Have a great and safe hunt, can't wait to hear about the results from the .257 on plains game.
That .460 is a monster of a cartridge, can't imagine any animal going too far after sucking up one of those

Terry
Guns have two enemies....rust and government
OFHA and CCFR member

« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2018, 06:26:39 AM »
Good luck and enjoy it! I just put down a deposit on a trip to South Africa myself for next June. The ranch is just outside Bloemfontein. I'm only planning on hunting 3 or 4 plains game animals at this time. I'm planning on taking my 7mm Weatherby Mag and nothing else. Stoked with some 160gr partitions, it should be perfect for anything I'm going after.

The trophy fees on cape buffalo are too much for me! But looking forward to hearing about your experience. If I remember reading correctly, the .375 cal is the minimum allowed for dangerous game. You should be all set with your 460.
JW

I like rifles with wood stocks

DW5

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2018, 08:17:23 AM »
No wonder you're excited; be safe and bag lots of trophies. I'd dearly love to see videos of the baboon hunt.

Well you may get to see us hunting them as I am having the whole hunt professionally filmed by a videographer. So when they have put a dvd together I will post it online.

wow. Super cool! I am excited to see that! also...

"I want the bull to be able to attack me if it chooses to. Buffalo are called dangerous game, so why would I want to take the danger out of it. I said that to the PH and he said if that's how I want to do it then that is how we will do it."  Love the spirit brother, and way to do it the right way.".... while one man's right way may be another's insanity, I got to agree with Para, that's pretty bad*ss, BB. Have fun and way to represent Weatherby right with those beautiful rifles!!!

You cant catch a fish without a hook in the water....

« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2018, 08:32:20 AM »
good luck Brett, and have a great trip. I load the same bullet in my 460, so it will be interesting to see how it works on cape buffalo, even though we both know how it will work out already  ::) ;D

Rob

BB340

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2018, 07:29:48 PM »
Good luck and enjoy it! I just put down a deposit on a trip to South Africa myself for next June. The ranch is just outside Bloemfontein. I'm only planning on hunting 3 or 4 plains game animals at this time. I'm planning on taking my 7mm Weatherby Mag and nothing else. Stoked with some 160gr partitions, it should be perfect for anything I'm going after.

The trophy fees on cape buffalo are too much for me! But looking forward to hearing about your experience. If I remember reading correctly, the .375 cal is the minimum allowed for dangerous game. You should be all set with your 460.

Thanks JW. If you have never been over there then let me tell you now, You Will LOVE it! Once will not be enough.
Also good luck in choosing what critters you are going to hunt. The variety is so high you will want one of everything lol.
Your 7mm Wby will smoke any plains game that walks there. I was tempted to take my 7mm wby too. But I really want to use the little .257 Roy. Most outfitters always recommend a .30 cal for plains game. But I have full confidence in the .257 Roy. Heck if it was good enough for Roy way back when, then it'll be even better now that I have matched it up with a 115gr TSX.
Yes you got that right, cape buff aint that cheap to hunt. But heck ya only live once and ya can't take your money to the grave with you lol.
Aussie gun nut.

BB340

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2018, 07:39:11 PM »
good luck Brett, and have a great trip. I load the same bullet in my 460, so it will be interesting to see how it works on cape buffalo, even though we both know how it will work out already  ::) ;D

Rob

Thanks Rob. Yep the TSX is my favourite game bullet. I load it in most of my Weatherby calibers. It worked great on 2 big scrub bulls I shot last year and so have full confidence it'll put the hurt on the biggest and meanest dugga boy I can find.
Aussie gun nut.

dixie1

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2018, 04:35:15 AM »
Have fun! I wish i could have seen kruger while i was there but we were a 55k north east of Kimberly in Boshoff.

BB340

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2018, 07:34:09 PM »
Have fun! I wish i could have seen kruger while i was there but we were a 55k north east of Kimberly in Boshoff.

Yes I sure will. I hunted near Kimberly on my first hunt over there. Seeing as we are so close to Kruger this time then I figured we should go and do the "Touristy thing." lol
Aussie gun nut.