Spike Camp

Mark V Trigger Guard Screws

Mark V Trigger Guard Screws
« on: September 09, 2018, 11:29:12 AM »
Looking for a set of Trigger Guard Screws for my 1960 pre-Mark V German (J.P) .257 Magnum. If no one knows where to get them can someone give me the original length of the rear screw? I believe these are 1/4 x 28 tpi and I can make them from tool steel on my lathe but then I have to blue them, etc. Much cheaper if I can just find a set or a set that fits.
The rear screw is 1.625 long and that's the one I need.

Thanks in advance for the help.
Steve
« Last Edit: September 09, 2018, 12:15:16 PM by sschefer »
Steve
Lifetime NRA Member
Retired in the Nevada high desert and loving life.

Re: Mark V Trigger Guard Screws
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2018, 03:48:23 PM »
I emailed Weatherby via their website but go no response so I ordered 1/4x28tpi x 1-3/4" steel button head socket screws from Fastenal. I turned the heads down to .365 diameter on my lathe and then put the original front screw in and the new longer rear. After torqueing both screws to 35 in lbs I measure the protrusion and removed that amount from the screw. I replaced the front with the other one that I had turned down after cutting it to the correct length. Once I was sure I had them perfect, I cleaned the anodizing off the heads with 400 gr sand paper and then blued them with Birchwood Casey cold bluing. They now look just like the ones in my Vanguards. I'm going to copy this and post it in my other modernizing thread so it's more likely to be seen.
Steve
Lifetime NRA Member
Retired in the Nevada high desert and loving life.