Spike Camp

does a new 257 weatherby vanguard wilderness need barrel break in?

does a new 257 weatherby vanguard wilderness need barrel break in?
« on: September 10, 2018, 07:22:31 PM »
I just purchased my 3rd weatherby. This is the first new one. Its in 257 and I have fired 10 rds of select 100 gr sp through it getting my new leupold 3-15X44 VX-5HD scope sighted in. Accuracy was about 2 inches? I have bought some more of the same ammo mainly for the brass as I am a reloader. Does this barrel need to be broke in or is that what is to be expected with that ammo?
be safe

• View Profile
Re: does a new 257 weatherby vanguard wilderness need barrel break in?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2018, 08:05:05 PM »
Every Barrel is different in what it likes. But what l have noticed your best groups will start around 70 rounds
In the mean time save your brass and try a few different loads. I would think you will find one that will shoot better than that. If not something is wrong, weatherby has a sub-Mia  guarantee
Mike

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2018, 08:17:35 PM »
For what it's worth, I followed closely the Weatherby break in procedure. After that I tried 5 different factory loads and 2 different bullet weighs. I noticed a  difference between 2 inch and 3/4 inches. Just my .2. Good luck with your rifle it looks like a shooter.

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2018, 07:52:47 AM »
That ammo with only give me 2 MOA groups in my rifle also. I just buy it every once in awhile if it's cheap enough, for the brass.

Rob
cfp-223REM
accumark-223Rem
ultralite-240 Wby
synthetic-240 Wby
synthetic-257 Wby
ultralite-270 Wby
fibermark-270 Wby
accumark-270 Wby
accumark-7mm Wby
stainless-300 Wby
fibermark-300Wby
accumark-30378 Wby
fibermark-340 Wby
accumark-338378 Wby
custom-375 Wby
DGR-378 Wby
DGR-416 Wby
custom DGR-460 Wby

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2018, 08:57:49 AM »
I just purchased my 3rd weatherby. This is the first new one. Its in 257 and I have fired 10 rds of select 100 gr sp through it getting my new leupold 3-15X44 VX-5HD scope sighted in. Accuracy was about 2 inches? I have bought some more of the same ammo mainly for the brass as I am a reloader. Does this barrel need to be broke in or is that what is to be expected with that ammo?

The Weatherby break in procedures are 10 rounds, clean between each round. 30 rounds in 3 round groups, clean between each group. Be sure to allow the rifle to cool between rounds. Upon completion of break in you rifle is ready to be sighted in. I use Weatherby ammo during break in, it's expensive but there can be no question if the rifle still fails to shoot properly.

As a side note: I hear a lot of people complaining about Weatherby accuracy out of the box. When I tell them to go to the Weatherby QA section on their website and verify that they properly broke in the rifle. 99% of the time they say that's BS. Go figure.. LOL..
What doesn't kill you will make you stronger, except bears. Bears will kill you...

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2018, 05:32:09 PM »
Every Barrel is different in what it likes. But what l have noticed your best groups will start around 70 rounds
In the mean time save your brass and try a few different loads. I would think you will find one that will shoot better than that. If not something is wrong, weatherby has a sub-Mia  guarantee
+1
I was thinking around 80 rounds  with at least 4 cleanings up to that point.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 06:34:25 PM by CptnAwesome »