Spike Camp

Muzzle Break on a 300 Weatherby (video)

DW5

• View Profile
Muzzle Break on a 300 Weatherby (video)
« on: September 12, 2018, 08:48:48 PM »
Ran across this on YouTube the other day. Custom break on a rifle chambered in 300 WBY. For y’all who have a 300bee with a break, does this seem comparable to what you’re running?

https://youtu.be/_zVJI_Ao1Nw
You cant catch a fish without a hook in the water....

Re: Muzzle Break on a 300 Weatherby (video)
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2018, 09:16:37 PM »
Randy Selby is no Award winning speaker. But he A great Gun Smith. He Re chambered my first 340 wby. from A 338 win mag to 340 wby. on A rem. 700 action. and also made me A couple of stainless sleves for my 340 Wby. accumark for when you remove the brake.
Mark

eford

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2018, 08:40:07 AM »
The brake on the rifle in the video clip is similar to what I have on several rifles. I know the brakes on each rifle virtually eliminate muzzle jump. There is still some felt recoil, but not as much. His claim of eliminating felt recoil for that 300 Weatherby is not backed up by how much the stock moves back in the video, but the video shows there is no muzzle jump. Of course there is less recoil, but its still there. Being able to stay on target is a huge factor due to lack of recoil and / or muzzle jump. Even a 6.5 - 7 pound 243 Win has some recoil, but very little if any muzzle jump. However, I know my son's Vanguard 7mm Rem Mag (154gn bullet) on a Bell & Carslon Medalist stock with a brake has less recoil than a 14lb 308 Win (168gn bullet).

Brakes with holes in the bottom will kick up lots of dust and even loose clumps of dirt. That momentary obsuration is nothing to be worried about. I would rather have the holes and have less jump and recoil than not have the holes.

Naturally, the trade-off for a brake is increased noise. This means hearing protection is not only a MUST HAVE but you've also got to be using the best stuff you can get your hand on (or in your ears). The magnified noise is stunning. My buddy shot his braked 300 Roy and I wasn't wearing ear protection. It was quite a sensation. As for the AccuBrake cutting recoil on that 300 Roy, I'll call the reduced recoil is on par with a 270 of equal rifle weight-----which is basically that of a 257 Weatherby.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 09:26:53 AM by eford »
Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine.

Every man needs to know his limits.

DW5

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2018, 11:08:59 AM »
Breaks seem to be one of those things that create a strong like or dislike with most shooters. I suppose its one of those "whatever your answer is concerning them is the correct one... for you" type of things.

Eford, I also raised an eyebrow at the "no felt recoil" thing, but I bet his intended use of the word "felt" there might be where the confusion is coming from. It does seem like a pretty dang good break he makes.

Grizz, that's really cool that you have first hand experience with the guy. I do like his concept of fitting the break to the size of the barrel.
You cant catch a fish without a hook in the water....

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2018, 11:24:20 AM »
Ya I have to agree with Eric. There is no way there is no felt recoil. I think in the end of the video he changed it some to No Sharp jab of felt recoil. If your shoulder so much as twitches you feel the recoil. I feel my .223 target rifle's recoil and that's A heavy Rifle. Its not much but You can feel it.
Mark

badsection

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2018, 03:03:40 PM »
I'm not much of a muzzle break fan.  Yes , there is one on my 15lb. 338 Lapua Mag single shot Savage target rifle.  It came that way from the factory. The recoil is about the same as my AR-15 clone.  The noise level is another story.   If you think they help, then go for it!   :)

BB340

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2018, 07:37:15 PM »
Yes I'm with you Bad, I am not a fan of brakes. I have the older Pendalton break on my .460 and it so it can't be removed.The only other rifle I have with a break is my 30-378 wby. I do use it when at the range most times. But I prefer to shoot it without the break.
In saying that I know they do have their place. I am taking the wife buffalo and scrub bull hunting maybe next year and so she is going to need a rifle that will handle these big critters. However she is so tiny that even my .257 wby is at her limit of recoil. So I am thinking of something like a 30-06 with a break on it will work just fine for her.
Aussie gun nut.

dubyam

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2018, 09:18:52 PM »
He may be a great smith, but he's full of crap. No felt recoil my flying eyeballs. What a crock.
I believe this is a practical world, and in it I can count only on what I can earn.  Therefore I believe in work, hard work. - The Auburn Creed
The older I get, the less stock I place in what men say, and the more I place in what men do. - Andrew Carnegie

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2018, 08:46:44 AM »
I am a firm believer in "Magnaport". I have it on my 340 and it does everything this one does with only four very small barrel openings, plus much less noise and no dust and dirt. GJ

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2018, 02:47:32 PM »
According to Magnaport, on their website, their slotted ports reduce felt recoil by up to 15% and their Mag-na-brake will reduce recoil up to 45%.

I have KDF brakes (same diameter as the barrels) on my .300 Weatherby Vanguard and my .375 RUM.
The resulting felt recoil of my .300 Bee is less than that of my Vanguard .308 Win.
The felt recoil of my .375 RUM is not uncomfortable to shoot, even from prone positions.
NRA Endowment Life Member

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2018, 03:42:38 PM »
The magnaporting significantly reduces muzzle lift. It is my opinion that muzzle lift makes the recoil impulse more intense. It also can allow scopes with small fields of view and short eye relief to come back and administer the famous magnum eyebrow effect. I've got several that bit me before I had the magnaporting done. What this means is totally subjective, but it works for me. GJ

fuonlynu

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2018, 04:08:14 PM »
I'm not a fan of muzxle devices of any fashion. I have never added a brake but have removed several from purchased rifles. I have one now but I've only put 10 rounds through it because a new barrel is on order. That guy is off his rocker.

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2018, 06:40:42 PM »
I think we are taking him  literally.
I have a 6.5-284 benchrest it weights about 15lbs. Is there recoil, of coarse there is, but do l really feel it,, No
I take that gun to matches and shoot 100 rounds a day
I think that is what he is saying, felt recoil
IMO

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2018, 08:15:05 PM »
I think we are taking him  literally.
I have a 6.5-284 benchrest it weights about 15lbs. Is there recoil, of coarse there is, but do l really feel it,, No
I take that gun to matches and shoot 100 rounds a day
I think that is what he is saying, felt recoil
IMO
When the man says theres no felt recoil and gives his ok to post the video, theres just one way to take it, and thats literally. (Tina) I didn't find any testimonials that backed up his claim.
DosEquisShooter

dubyam

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2018, 08:27:40 PM »
Based on his emphasis, theres no other way but to take him literally. But the recoil clearly visible in the video says he's full of crap.
I believe this is a practical world, and in it I can count only on what I can earn.  Therefore I believe in work, hard work. - The Auburn Creed
The older I get, the less stock I place in what men say, and the more I place in what men do. - Andrew Carnegie