Spike Camp

Muzzle Break on a 300 Weatherby (video)

257 Shooter

• 257 Shooter
    • View Profile
Re: Muzzle Break on a 300 Weatherby (video)
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2018, 08:29:44 PM »
I wasn't going to weigh in on this but, I'd feel better about someone who advocates muzzle brakes who could actually spell it. They reduce recoil for sure. I have several. The claims made here are somewhat inflated. It's a personal preference.

« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2018, 09:04:31 PM »
+ 1
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

DW5

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2018, 12:25:27 PM »
I wasn't going to weigh in on this but, I'd feel better about someone who advocates muzzle brakes who could actually spell it. They reduce recoil for sure. I have several. The claims made here are somewhat inflated. It's a personal preference.

Oops.  :-\ :-\  I’m guilty as well. Suppose I just looked at the video and went with it...
You cant catch a fish without a hook in the water....

« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2018, 10:03:55 AM »
I'm with the guys that don't care for them. While anybody can appreciate reduced recoil, to me, the tradeoff is not worth it. The noise is insane and if anybody is standing to your side - poor them - a blast of crap in the face on top of the noise. I'd rather have the recoil. Most any rifle is tolerable on recoil for the one or two shots fired in a short time on a hunt.
Come and take it.

« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2018, 03:11:21 PM »
I have a break on all my rofles but one, great for practice and I remove to hunt. Best part fpr me is when am AR nit os blasting me with brass.....i get my 340 bee and he usually gets the point

badsection

« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2018, 03:22:57 PM »
I catch my brass from my AR's!  The only range mate that concerns most is a "braked" 50BMG rifle. I do advise the range master when I am shooting my non removable brake on my Savage 338 Lapua to keep a few lanes between me and the 22LR shooters for all their crybaby complaints that I can't hear anyway, if possible. LOL!

BB340

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2018, 04:01:04 PM »
I'm with the guys that don't care for them. While anybody can appreciate reduced recoil, to me, the tradeoff is not worth it. The noise is insane and if anybody is standing to your side - poor them - a blast of crap in the face on top of the noise. I'd rather have the recoil. Most any rifle is tolerable on recoil for the one or two shots fired in a short time on a hunt.

Yep I'm with you on this one Tex. My thoughts exactly.
Aussie gun nut.

« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2018, 04:13:12 PM »
I'm not a fan of muzzle brakes and have two rifles with them, my .338-378 and .460 Weatherby Magnums, both of which came with them from the factory.  The nice thing is I have the option of taking them off and putting on the thread protector. Yeah the recoil is stout and will quickly get your attention but at least for me it's not unbearable.  Also I don't shoot three or four boxed of bullets at a time which also helps not getting beaten to a pulp.  Maybe when I get older I'll appreciate the brakes more but for now I prefer to go without one and not have to deal with the loud report or subjecting people near me to it. 
Nothing is better than a Weatherby, big bore magnum, or a Colt.

badsection

« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2018, 05:24:24 PM »
I'm not a fan of muzzle brakes and have two rifles with them, my .338-378 and .460 Weatherby Magnums, both of which came with them from the factory.  The nice thing is I have the option of taking them off and putting on the thread protector. Yeah the recoil is stout and will quickly get your attention but at least for me it's not unbearable.  Also I don't shoot three or four boxed of bullets at a time which also helps not getting beaten to a pulp.  Maybe when I get older I'll appreciate the brakes more but for now I prefer to go without one and not have to deal with the loud report or subjecting people near me to it.
  LOL! The older I get, the less recoil is a concern! Late 60s!   ;D

« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2018, 06:37:22 PM »
You have me beat in the age department Pal, I'm 46.   ;D ;D ;D ;D
Nothing is better than a Weatherby, big bore magnum, or a Colt.