Spike Camp

New (to me) Weatherby

DW5

• View Profile
New (to me) Weatherby
« on: September 13, 2018, 02:58:58 PM »
 A while back I posted about wanting to get a Weatherby in 300 WSM.  I wanted it to “replace” a rifle I had in that caliber that holds a lot of sentimental value to me. After looking for a year or two, I finally pulled the trigger.

I got this gun on gun broker from a small shop in Minnesota. After talking with the owner for a little bit he told me it belonged a guy who sells quite a bit of high-end rifles with him. Basically he gets tired of one and buys another, and so forth. He was not terribly knowledgeable about Weatherby’s, but told me the previous owner stated it was a custom Vanguard, and he did not know too much after that.

I decided it was a decent deal and got it. From what I can gather, it is a series one Vanguard, but other than that I am not sure. Has anyone ran across a series 1 with this particular stock or a fluted barrel like this?

The thing that has me down right puzzled, however, is the bolt/bolt throw. It is not a smooth 90 degree throw like a Vanguard, but rather a little stiffer, acting and feeling more like a Mark V...

Anyone have any idea what I have here?
You cant catch a fish without a hook in the water....

Re: New (to me) Weatherby
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2018, 03:49:36 PM »
I am a WSM fan!  The serial number should hold all the answers. I don't think they made a Mark V in 300 WSM, only Vanguards.  :)

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2018, 04:04:08 PM »
DW: I have a Vanguard 300 Weatherby Mag (at least I used to until my nephew stole it from me  ;D) that I bought used from Dan Weatherby on GB.It had that very same stock but a nonfluted teflon coated barrel.
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

PARA45

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2018, 04:11:02 PM »
Very nice rifle, well done DW!!!!!

Sh*t Roger, you bought a rifle from Dan Weatherby???  I'd get it back if I was you, and get him another one.  LMAO!!!!!  ;D ;D ;D

DW5

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2018, 04:13:05 PM »
I am a WSM fan!  The serial number should hold all the answers. I don't think they made a Mark V in 300 WSM, only Vanguards.  :)

It is definitely a vanguard. And after inspecting the gun I most definitely believe there’s a lot of custom work done to it, I tend to believe it came from Weatherby’s custom shop. The only thing I do not understand is what he possibly could have had done to the action To make it the way it is.

DW5

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2018, 04:16:22 PM »
DW: I have a Vanguard 300 Weatherby Mag (at least I used to until my nephew stole it from me  ;D) that I bought used from Dan Weatherby on GB.It had that very same stock but a nonfluted teflon coated barrel.

Man!!!  That is a tremendous special rifle Terminator! Have any pictures to post?

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2018, 04:18:26 PM »
I'm not sure that Weatherby is in a position in the middle of the move to answer questions about it right now. I sure would give them a call or a email when they can answer. Hope it shoots as well as it looks!   :)

PARA45

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2018, 04:26:56 PM »
DW, maybe the coating on the rifle made the action tighter.  :-\

dubyam

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2018, 05:35:46 PM »
It could be a hand-lapped bolt and action. Is it tight with no round in the chamber, or only with a round in it? If its tight only with a round in, I'd say probably a tight chamber. Tight all the time, maybe just bone dry. Since its stainless, you'll want to lube it a bit, as stainless will gall (which could be your tightness, too).
I believe this is a practical world, and in it I can count only on what I can earn.  Therefore I believe in work, hard work. - The Auburn Creed
The older I get, the less stock I place in what men say, and the more I place in what men do. - Andrew Carnegie

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2018, 06:14:06 PM »
DW: I may still have some Picts on my computer at work. I'll try to look tomorrow.It is a great looking stock, pictures don't it justice as you know.
Roger

DW5

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2018, 10:41:51 AM »
It could be a hand-lapped bolt and action. Is it tight with no round in the chamber, or only with a round in it? If its tight only with a round in, I'd say probably a tight chamber. Tight all the time, maybe just bone dry. Since its stainless, you'll want to lube it a bit, as stainless will gall (which could be your tightness, too).

Stiff all the time. But it doesn’t feel bad, just way more firm (or deliberate) about all its motion.

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2018, 01:04:19 PM »
DW:Picts off my computer screen so don't know how good they will show up.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 01:06:01 PM by terminator »
Roger

Blackbear3

• In God We Trust!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2018, 01:12:41 PM »
Roger you must really Love your nephew!!! Nice looking rifle!
We stand for the Flag, and we kneel for the fallen!!!

Doug-NRA Life Member

DW5

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2018, 02:13:04 PM »
Really cool Terminator! That is pretty sweet that you got rifle from Dan. It sorta surprised me a little bit too. I just figured all the Weatherby’s shot personalized Mark V’s!

And yes you are definitely correct in saying pictures don’t do it justice. When I went to my FFL to do the transfer I got a little giddy when he pulled it out of the box. Significantly nicer than what I thought I was getting based on the pics from GB.... and I would have been fine with what I thought it looked like.

Can’t wait to shoot it, I’m gonna run a Vortex Razor LH 3x15x42 up top and see if it likes 165grn Barnes TTSX for starters.

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2018, 06:33:08 PM »
The Razor should set it up great DW.
Unknowingly another member,Petey, and I were bidding each other up on the 300 Wby.
This was back when Dan was working for Weatherby and he didn't list it on GB under his name.I didn't know it was him until I got the contact seller. I called him and told him who I was and he said jokingly said I bought it way too cheap.He said he was glad someone on Weatherbynation got it. My nephew will have the feeders going,cameras out,stands checked,and shooting lanes trimmed up when I go up for every hunt in Arkansas. He always knows more guns are coming his way every year. ;D
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 07:20:41 PM by terminator »
Roger