Spike Camp

.257 mag not grouping Barnes ttsx

DW5

• View Profile
Re: .257 mag not grouping Barnes ttsx
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2018, 03:55:49 PM »
Welcome to WBY Nation Woodsman!

I have 2 .257 Weatherbys and I run the 110 Accubonds in both of them. They are amazingly devastating on deers and hogs. Iíve put a couple of 280+ pigs on the ground with them easily. Like turning out a light. Almost every deer I shoot with them are bang-flop, DRT kills. You will not be disappointed with the 110 Nosler Accubond coming out of a .257 Weatherby.

I agree with you about the quality of  glass in Vortex Diamondbacks, especially for the money. I use a lot of Vortex products and have 2 diamondback rifle scopes and a spotting scope. Not a complaint about any of them.
You cant catch a fish without a hook in the water....

« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2018, 07:28:28 PM »
sorry to hear about your wife Doug, that's terrible. I just got married last Saturday so I can't even imagine. 
 yes I have been very pleased with the quality of vortex optics. eventually I imagine I'll upgrade to.vipers on these 2 rifles, but I bought my 1st house this spring so settled with diamond backs for starters.  you guys are correct on the accubond weight, the bullets I was shooting were spires. accubond was just in my mind because that's what my grand father told me he shot out of the gun. gonna order some in the morning and give them a try. thanks everyone for the welcomes, seem like a great group of guys. anyone able to date my gun off a few pictures?

« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2018, 07:30:00 PM »
pics

dubyam

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2018, 07:40:05 PM »
Post your serial with the last three numbers XXX'd out, and I can review a serial reference and give you a rough idea.
I believe this is a practical world, and in it I can count only on what I can earn.  Therefore I believe in work, hard work. - The Auburn Creed
The older I get, the less stock I place in what men say, and the more I place in what men do. - Andrew Carnegie

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2018, 08:22:53 PM »
Dubyam,They changed the twist rate while still making them in Germany.They started making them in 1 in 10 in the 257 around 1967 or 1968.Before that they were 1 in 12.
Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.

I try to avoid temptation unless I can't resist it.

Everyone has a photographic memory.Some just don't have film.

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2018, 08:31:30 PM »
Weatherby recognized that people were going heavy for cal earlier than this,and refused to change the twist rate earlier.He stuck to his guns,no pun intended,on speed kills.With light bullets,being pushed hard,you just didn't need the faster twist rate.People forget that he was pushing the envelope for speed with .224 bullets way before he developed the 270 Weatherby.
Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2018, 08:34:53 PM »
I have seen 257's with 1 in 10 twist barrels with serial numbers in the P23,000 range.I'm sure yours in 1 in 10.

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2018, 05:03:12 AM »
Weatherby recognized that people were going heavy for cal earlier than this,and refused to change the twist rate earlier.He stuck to his guns,no pun intended,on speed kills.With light bullets,being pushed hard,you just didn't need the faster twist rate.People forget that he was pushing the envelope for speed with .224 bullets way before he developed the 270 Weatherby.

Along with Weatherby was Savage. The 250-3000 was designed for light bullet weight and high speed for its day. It also had a slow twist rate
Mike