Spike Camp

.257 mag not grouping Barnes ttsx

.257 mag not grouping Barnes ttsx
« on: September 13, 2018, 04:54:23 PM »
hey guys, my grandfather passed his mark v 257 weatherby mag down to me last year and I decided I'm gonna start taking it out west instead of my tikka. he gave me 2 box's of accubond 100grain shells with it, and I shot it last year and it shot great. after doing some research about hunting bullets for it, i saw a ton of people raving about the 100g barnes ttsx in 100g, so i ordered a box of weatherby select plus with the ttsx bullets.
put new glass on it this year, and today I went out to sight it in, used the old accubonds to. get it on paper, zeroed at 50, then moved to 100 and zeroed it with the accubond s. I then busted out the  ttsx's first shot was 8 inches low, 3 inches right.  2nd shot wasn't on paper, 3rd shot was 4 inches low 4 right,  4th shot wasn't on paper. kinda baffled me , I had high hopes for them. has anyone else ever had issues with them not shooting well in theirs?  attached is pic of bullet hole if it helps.

Re: .257 mag not grouping Barnes ttsx
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2018, 07:33:07 PM »
If it's still shooting the accubond good and your please with the group l would stay with them. They are good bullets also
Every Barrel is different and it will let you know what it likes, and what it doesn't like.
What are you hunting out West?

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2018, 07:45:49 PM »
I didn't re shoot the accubonds after the ttsx's  my barrel was getting pretty hot, and I had been trying different rounds in my 300 as well so my shoulder was spent. I will be hunting mule deer this year,   and elk and mule deer next year. I cleaned the gun and the bore was pretty fouled. are the .257s known to copper foul badly? I'm heading to Canada this weekend to check some camera as so I won't be back to the range until early next week, curious to see if a clean bore and cooler barrel will help, or if there just not meant for my barrel

sschefer

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2018, 09:02:54 PM »
Yep, they copper up bad. Clean out the copper every 20 rounds. I would try cleaning it and then give the Barnes another try. If it's still a no-go, then go back to the Accubond's. All of my rifles shoot well with the Accubonds so I stick with them. They also expand well and open up a decent wound channel but don't ruin a lot of meat. The partitions are better for saving on meat loss but then so is a well placed shot.. LOL..

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2018, 05:15:23 AM »
Yes they foul, but than your pushing a bullet out the barrel at 3500 fps with 70 some grains of powder. I don't clean as often as some, l am in the 80-100 before clearing.
Do you know when your rifle was made? Also what the barrel twist is? Seems l read once some of the earlier ones were 1-12 twist
What kind of scope did you get?

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2018, 07:29:13 AM »
+1 on the twist in your rifling, it could be causing the problem shooting the Barnes.
I have 2 .257 Bees, my S1 loves the ttsx while my S2 Accuguard likes Accubonds.
Doug

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2018, 08:36:38 AM »
my rifle was the last year they were made in west Germany, I do not know the exact year. but i believe last 60s early 70s .how could I go about figuring out what my barrel twist is? I put vortex diamondback hd 4x16 on my weatherby and my tikkas. seem like great glass for the money.

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2018, 09:03:42 AM »
Put patches on your cleaning rod and Mark a spot on it, insert it in the barrel until the mark makes a complete turn. Measure the distance on the rod from when you started to where it made a complete turn. Unless you are hunting in a lead free area, I'd just go with the Accubonds.
Doug

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2018, 09:10:21 AM »
By the way woodsman24, welcome to the Nation. There's a great bunch of guys and gals on here, I know almost nothing compared to a lot of the members. Adam Weatherby even comments once in awhile, in fact when I lost my wife to cancer last January he gave a very touching condolences!
Doug

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2018, 09:23:37 AM »
I agree Vortex has good  optics

dubyam

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2018, 10:11:15 AM »
Unless that rifle has been rebarreled, there's pretty much a guarantee it has the 12 twist.  All the German made rifles had it.  It was my first thought when I saw your target, as your bullet holes are slightly keyholed, telling me the bullet isn't stabilized by your twist, and is tumbling.  That you got two on paper out of four is pretty impressive in and of itself.

For the 12-twist, if you're just dying to shoot monolithic bullets, I'd recommend stepping down to 100-110gr monoliths (not sure what's available from Barnes/Nosler/Hornady for 257cal, but somebody made a 100gr at one time).  Alternately, since you know the accubonds work well, you could stick with them.  For anything you should be hunting with the 257 (antelope, deer, coyotes, hogs, etc.) those accubonds will do the trick nicely, from close to far out there.  When you go after elk, take the 300.  Sure, a 257 will kill elk, if the shot placement is perfect.  But for a hunt you may not do every year, take a rifle which will give you the margin for quartering shots where you're going to plow through a lot of bone, so you don't lose an opportunity to having too little gun.  There is no such thing as too much gun, except for too much gun for a person to shoot accurately.
I believe this is a practical world, and in it I can count only on what I can earn.  Therefore I believe in work, hard work. - The Auburn Creed
The older I get, the less stock I place in what men say, and the more I place in what men do. - Andrew Carnegie

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2018, 11:14:00 AM »
thank you very much for all the info guys, I appreciate it. I agree that just sticking with the accubonds will.be my best bet.  what grain do you guys shoot, 100 or 110s?my grandfather said that he used 110s. the 2 box's I got.from.him were partials of 100s, so I know both shoot well out for the gun, but will be ordering more to zero with and hunt with. what are the pros and.cons of 100 vs 110?

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2018, 11:31:22 AM »
My Accuguard likes the 110s that came in Nosler ammo, I haven't tried reloading for that rifle yet. For the game your hunting the 110s would be my recommendation. Let us know how your hunt goes.
Doug

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2018, 02:24:56 PM »
Welcome, Woodsman, I believe they only make acc's in 110g, I have killed some very big Mule deer with them at 3550fps and they hold together and penetrate. Unless you have to use copper the acc is a better choice.
John

dubyam

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2018, 03:53:55 PM »
Yep, OregonMarkV is right.  They only make a 110gr Accubond in .257cal.

And welcome to the Nation.  Enjoy the new to you rifles, and the memories they bring afield with you.
I believe this is a practical world, and in it I can count only on what I can earn.  Therefore I believe in work, hard work. - The Auburn Creed
The older I get, the less stock I place in what men say, and the more I place in what men do. - Andrew Carnegie