Spike Camp

Walmart Vanguard Select .308 (Closeout Special 249.00

Walmart Vanguard Select .308 (Closeout Special 249.00
« on: September 14, 2018, 12:08:27 PM »
I may have just put lipstick on a pig, I dunno…

I put a Hogue fully bedded over molded stock on it, Howa 1500 mag conversion kit, Atlas bipod and adapter, Night Force scope base (these fit perfect without bedding and are actually for a 1500/Vanguard not a Rem 700). Swarovski X5 scope and Timney single stage 2.5 lb trigger. Going out to break it in next week and then see what she'll shoot.

I also got the .270 and .243 at Walmart at the same time I got the .308 and I put the Hogue stocks on them, Night Force rails and Vortex Diamond Back 3x9-40 scopes. I don't plan any other changes on those.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 12:13:22 PM by sschefer »
What doesn't kill you will make you stronger, except bears. Bears will kill you...

Re: Walmart Vanguard Select .308 (Closeout Special 249.00
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2018, 11:25:02 AM »
Looks great, you got a heck of a deal. Report back with how it shoots for you ...thank you.

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2018, 05:06:08 PM »
Took the .308 out to the range. Wind was blowing about 20 mph from the west and I was shooting south. Not ideal conditions at all. I did the first 10 rounds with a cleaning in between each round then went to 3 round groups with a cleaning between each group for a total of 40 rounds. I wasn't trying to shoot great groups until the last three rounds and the first 10 were just getting the scope adjusted. I did not try to dial it in because of the wind but I got it pretty close. The Hogue fully bedded stock was very comfortable and the recoil pad made shooting 40 rounds painless. The plastic Howa trigger guard didn't bother me and the magazine fed perfectly. The Swarovski scope was off another rifle that I had sighted in and the windage was dead on the money. That tells me that the Night Force bases are dead on the money. In short, the mechanics are great. It took nearly 3 hours to get through the break in process but I think it paid off and will use it again on other new rifles. Attached is the last group I shot. I took my time and tried to shoot between the wind gusts. I am very happy with the way the rifle shoots and I think I got one heck of a deal.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 05:13:00 PM by sschefer »
What doesn't kill you will make you stronger, except bears. Bears will kill you...

PARA45

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2018, 05:21:43 PM »
Nothing wrong with that group.  Vanguards have always been shooters. Congrats on such a great deal!

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2018, 07:59:12 AM »
Nothing wrong with that group.  Vanguards have always been shooters. Congrats on such a great deal!

Thanks, there's a few "I don't knows" as to how well it would have shot out of the box. Just based on my observations though, the first 10 rounds were not sub-moa but as I got into the three round groups, it clearly tightened up. It takes a while to get that break in done but if you're diligent I think it pay's huge dividends. I highly encourage all new rifle owners to do their best to stave off the urge to just blast away and take the time to do the break in right.

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2018, 07:46:00 PM »
Years ago I played around with various break in techniques but finally gave up on them. I never needed them to get sub 1" groups from my better quality rifles.  I also bought a few of the closeout Vanguards. I may break in one just so I won't have any excuses if it doesn't break 1".  I'm not saying it doesn't work, just I'm not 100% sure on how much difference it makes.  I wish I had mega bucks to buy 20 rifles in the same caliber and shoot 10 not broken in against 10 broken in!

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2018, 07:08:44 AM »
Years ago I played around with various break in techniques but finally gave up on them. I never needed them to get sub 1" groups from my better quality rifles.  I also bought a few of the closeout Vanguards. I may break in one just so I won't have any excuses if it doesn't break 1".  I'm not saying it doesn't work, just I'm not 100% sure on how much difference it makes.  I wish I had mega bucks to buy 20 rifles in the same caliber and shoot 10 not broken in against 10 broken in!

Well, I can't say that I agree or disagree because this is actually the first time I've ever been super vigilant about breaking in a rifle according to what the manufacturer says. I have always done the 1 shot, clean, 3 round group, cool and clean and then go sight it in. McMillan recommends a more extensive break in that I didn't find out about until I already did what I though was correct. It shoots very well but I may de-copper it and start over just to feel warm and fuzzy.