Spike Camp

One More Week!

DW5

• View Profile
One More Week!
« on: September 20, 2018, 05:01:56 PM »
Got the old Xbow out today to do a little back yard shooting. One more week till bow opener, can’t wait! Gonna try and to a little deer/pig combo hunting next weekend, deer in the day, pigs for a little while at night. I believe my location for the pigs should be far enough away from my xbow spot that I shouldn’t have to worry about them interfering with each other.

Group below is my last 3 shots of the day where I run a 50 yard sprint in between each shot. While it’s not an exact replica of the adrenaline by any stretch, it’s the closest thing I’ve heard of to simulate the excitement of a deer stepping out in bow range... Once I sit down I give myself a maximum of 3-5 secs to line up the shot and fire.

How much longer do you have till your first (or next) hunt?
« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 05:05:52 PM by DW5 »
You cant catch a fish without a hook in the water....

badsection

Re: One More Week!
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2018, 05:07:17 PM »
Sounds like a plan! Good luck!   Mine will be close to the first of the year.  :)

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2018, 05:18:33 PM »
Nice shooting and setup DW. I never thought about trying to simulate the adrenaline rush.Great idea.What arrows and broadheads ace you using?
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

PARA45

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2018, 06:11:50 PM »
Very nice, and good luck to ya!
Senator John Kennedy  " If you support defunding the police, you've tested positive for stupid".

DW5

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2018, 07:40:47 PM »
Nice shooting and setup DW. I never thought about trying to simulate the adrenaline rush.Great idea.What arrows and broadheads ace you using?

Arrows-Cabala’s Crossbow Stalker bolts

Broadheads- I haven’t 100% decided. I have some Rage Mechanicals that shoot pretty well and then some fixed blades that a buddy of mine gave me several years back. Thing about those are, I have no idea what brand they are. He gave them to me on my very first xbow hunt. He took two deer that weekend using them with devistating results though. My bow shoots them real, real well too. By the time I got around to asking him what brand they were, he basically said he couldn’t remember what he was shooting that season. Leaning towards them though just cause I’m comfortable with them. Although I probably should start using the Rage’s instead of some handmedowns I don’t even know what are   ;D ;D

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2018, 07:47:21 PM »
Rage are devastating. That said, I would go with the handmedowns you are most confident with.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 07:58:17 PM by terminator »
Roger

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2018, 09:33:46 AM »
Roger, with your bad ankle I wouldn't try sprinting for an adrenaline rush. Especially with your planned Argentina hunt coming up. No, but I did read in "Bullets and Broadheads" that sometimes reading a good Harlequin novel like, "Her Untamed Estrus" by Willow Targé might be a good adrenaline stimulus in a treestand. Just make sure your wearing your harness and your bow is up  ;D
DosEquisShooter

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2018, 10:13:24 AM »
Amazon books here I come. ;D
Roger

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2018, 11:15:28 AM »
Sound move Rog  ;)
DosEquisShooter

DW5

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2018, 11:35:50 AM »
Sound move Rog  ;)

Don't knock it if it works! :D