Spike Camp

Nosler 100gr BT & IMR7828SSC

Nosler 100gr BT & IMR7828SSC
« on: September 22, 2018, 08:35:05 AM »
Hello Nation! I am a newbee to the forum and have a story behind the question.  I hale from the port of Wichita Kansas (ICT) and shoot a 1987 .257 MarkV (bee) I purchased new when living in Savannah GA.  I reloaded and shot for about 5 years before moving to KS.  Last year I was invited to join a veterans group the 40 or 8, they have an outdoor shooting range where i practice shooting pistol and rifle so range time is never an issue.

My delima..  I only started reloading again last year after 30 years and wanted to use up the boxes of bullets i had before buying more.  I could not find any load data for Nosler 100gr Balistic Tip and IMR7828.  I checked back through my loading book and found a sheet that had Nosler 100gr IMR-7828 73grn.  The bullet i have is # 43005 now out of production so i loaded with it, Fed 215 primer, trim to lenght 2.540, OAL 3.219, Original Weatherby Universal Dies, FL resize

So to started the day I had the same bullet Nosler 100gr BT (43005) Same Trim and OAL with 75gr of
rl-25. It was my intent to collect data using two differed powders.

Well things seemed to be going fairly well until the bolt was hard to open after shooting the 7828 setup.  Obviously signs of pressure. Or was it the ejector inprint in the case?  Could this be a fluke?  So being a DA i loaded up and tried again and finally did get the bolt open again.

So with all that being said what would be a good starting load with 100gr BT and IMR-7828.

I found a great article link on the forum called In Praise Of The .257 Weatherby Magnum.  I am sticking with those loads until i better understand.

Again thank you for your time.  I get it, i am a bit long winded but if you ever get out to Kansas i can build a campfire and tell a good story!

Semper Fi, Tim
Your Bud T,

Re: Nosler 100gr BT & IMR7828SSC
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2018, 10:35:39 AM »
Hello and welcome to the Nation.73 grains of imr7828 is listed as max in my book.I used to use it but quit because it is heat sensitive and varied from lot to lot. I had to back off 2 grains when I switched to one lot. It could have been your load was worked up in cooler conditions or you have a lot of powder that is hotter.Those are my experiences anyway and I switched to H1000 with great success.Good luck.
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

Blackbear3

• In God We Trust!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2018, 10:46:38 AM »
http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/rifle    https://load-data.nosler.com/load-data/257-weatherby-magnum/

Welcome to the Nation!!! As you can see Hodgon lists 73 gr as maximum for the 100 gr spbt and 7828, so I'd suggest backing off at least 1-2 grs if the accuracy is there. You'll find quite a few Marines here and many knowledgeable people. I've had good luck with MRP and Barnes 100 gr ttsx in my S1 257.
We stand for the Flag, and we kneel for the fallen!!!

Doug-NRA Life Member

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2018, 03:00:39 PM »
Thank you for the replies, and confirming the 73grs of 7278.  I will back off 2 grains ad give it another try - now i have a 1lb to burn....

Long term I think I would like to try the MRP.  I have heard good reports on it and it is in my 80's Weatherby - Weatherby load data with 3.25 OAL which I will scan in and make under another post.  Interesting it says "Loads shown with Norma Powered are factory equivalent loads.  I have read much debate on the forum about Weatherby using MRP.  This is there load data not mine - so just sayin'....

Your Bud, T

Your Bud T,