Spike Camp

First Pronghorn

First Pronghorn
« on: September 22, 2018, 04:12:20 PM »
My grouse dog died and my knees gave out so I thought I'd try something new this year.  Bought a Weatherby and went after bigger fish.
Enjoyed a very successful hunt in Wyoming.  Warm and dry up that way but most enjoyable.  Certainly different from the grouse woods!!
Cheers.

Re: First Pronghorn
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2018, 05:05:40 PM »
Congrats on the pronghorn. What Weatherby and caliber did you get.Sorry for the loss of your hunting partner.
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2018, 06:36:00 PM »
 Congratulations on the antelope. It's one of my favorite hunts every year.

Sad to hear about your dog
Mike

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2018, 06:41:46 PM »
Terminator, this is the first rifle I have purchased in 35+ years. After a lot of research I purchased a 6.5 CM. Used the Hornady GMX as it shot the flattest. (Pretty open up there.) This puppy dropped like a stone. 215 yds. Little in, much bigger out. No bullet recovery but it sure did itís job.

Thanks, we still mourn the loss of our pointer. :(

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2018, 06:45:08 PM »
Thanks, .257.
Used a Vanguard 2. Kinda wanted a wooden stock but tíwas not available. (Iím old.)

Blackbear3

• In God We Trust!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2018, 08:01:41 PM »
Congratulations on the antelope, and sorry to hear about the loss of your pup. Still miss the long walks with my Golden Retriever in the Northern Minnesota grouse woods. Getting old stinks, but losing your dog is worse!!
We stand for the Flag, and we kneel for the fallen!!!

Doug-NRA Life Member

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2018, 04:12:11 AM »
Thanks Blackbear3. Yep, more time to hunt, less able to hunt. Lifeís a mixed bag.

DW5

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2018, 11:43:39 AM »
Sorry to hear about the loss of your hunting buddy, losing a dog never gets easy. Glad to hear you had a successful pronghorn hunt though. And congrats on a new rifle too!

What was the process of getting your tag? Also, were you familiar with the area you hunted? How did you go about planning your hunt?
You cant catch a fish without a hook in the water....

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2018, 08:35:59 AM »
Sorry about the late reply, but sometimes I loose track of all the topics I mean to respond to. My Condolences on the loss of your close friend and companion. Few people can match the loyalty or return the same type of love for love as a personal and cherished dog. To lose someone who has been with you through thick and thin and remains "cheerful in all weathers" is truly a heartache. I believe that angels more often than not take the form of dogs to be our inspirations, to teach us simple life lessons that we most times overlook or ignore.
Congratulations on your hunt in Wyoming. Your pronghorn is one to be proud of for its horns, size, and the fact it was your first time ever to hunt them. Congratulations Grouser!
DosEquisShooter

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2018, 02:21:12 PM »
Congrats on your first pronghorn.

Sorry about the loss of your furry companion.

Here are some of my past hunting partners...

NRA Endowment Life Member

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2018, 02:37:13 PM »
Congratulations on your antelope and sorry about your loss. I just put my German Shepherd down on the 24th of September, she would of been 6 today.
Scott

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2018, 04:38:40 PM »
dw5, danno50, buffybr, pabuckhunter270

Thank you all for your responses and blessings.

Claire we put down three years ago. Still feels so raw. There is something so special about having a partner in the field. The intense, mutual, and interdependent  pursuit. The average pet owner may have a hard time understanding.

Thank you again for sharing your pictures and thoughts.