Spike Camp

Vanguard Identification Help

Vanguard Identification Help
« on: September 25, 2018, 06:22:06 AM »
Good Morning everyone.
I am new to this site so if this post is in the wrong section i apoligize.

Question:
A friend of mine is thinking about selling me his late fathers 300 Mag vanguard RC. My concern is that to his knowledge the original floor plate had to be replaced due to breaking it at some point. The only place on the rifle that actually says Range Certified.
I don't think he would knowingly rip me off but maybe its possible he just doesn't know 100% which rifle his dad actually owned. Is there any other way for me to determine if this is in fact a RC Vanguard? He's asking $1500 for rifle a Burris xtr 5-25x50 and an AccuShot BT10 Bipod. The rifle has also been hand lapped and action trued. Sounds like a fair deal to me.... Unless this is just a standard Vanguard in which I would basically be paying "new out the door" prices.

Thanks in advance!

DW5

• View Profile
Re: Vanguard Identification Help
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2018, 07:29:09 AM »
Can you post some more pics? The stock sure looks like the right one to be the RC from that pic though...
You cant catch a fish without a hook in the water....

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2018, 08:09:35 AM »
As of right now that is the only picture I have. I know it's kind of hard to see but the stock is darkish green with black splatter type Mark's on it 

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2018, 10:59:32 AM »
I've seen the rifles sell for 829.99 NIB.Don't know about the scope and Bpod.
Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.

I try to avoid temptation unless I can't resist it.

Everyone has a photographic memory.Some just don't have film.

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2018, 02:09:38 PM »
Nib scope is worth about 1300 u.s.  Not sure about the bipod.

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2018, 02:13:48 PM »
I've seen the rifles sell for 829.99 NIB.Don't know about the scope and Bpod.

Sounds like I'm getting a good package deal

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2018, 03:12:03 PM »
Cheapest I could find the scope was 800.00
Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.

I try to avoid temptation unless I can't resist it.

Everyone has a photographic memory.Some just don't have film.

DW5

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2018, 03:36:22 PM »
Northern firearms (Reeds) has the gun on Gun Broker (its a win mag correct?) for 859.49 NIB. But then you are gonna have to pay shipping and transfer fee after that... if everything on the gun is in good shape and you like the setup... seems the math is okay....

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/777753274

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2018, 04:17:06 PM »
The price seems high for a used setup to me. I would sure offer less. But if you are happy with it go for it.
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

DW5

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2018, 05:00:38 PM »
The price seems high for a used setup to me. I would sure offer less. But if you are happy with it go for it.

Agreed there too... I say ďokayĒ only b/c Iím assuming you can trust your friend if he tells you itís in very good condition, then again, after re reading your original post they did break the plate somehow... and there has been aftermarket work done to the rifle probably voiding itís warranty.

If you do really like this particular setup, and trust the guy selling it... maybe itís worth it to get it all set up and not worry about rings/bases/transfer fees/ and whatever time or money youíd spend to put it all together. I tend to stay away from used sales that are a combo like that b/c Iím usually only interested in the gun. But if thatís not your case... 

Blackbear3

• In God We Trust!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2018, 05:42:53 PM »
Northern firearms (Reeds) has the gun on Gun Broker (its a win mag correct?) for 859.49 NIB. But then you are gonna have to pay shipping and transfer fee after that... if everything on the gun is in good shape and you like the setup... seems the math is okay....

Northern Firearms (Reeds) has Free Shipping with firearms purchases.
We stand for the Flag, and we kneel for the fallen!!!

Doug-NRA Life Member

DW5

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2018, 06:16:12 PM »

Northern Firearms (Reeds) has Free Shipping with firearms purchases.

Forgot about that, and I bought my Weathermark there!  Good catch Blackbear  :D

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2018, 06:26:28 PM »
Ok well let me kick it up a notch then.
What if I just put a nice optic on my 6.5 CM or LR308 rather than buy a used rifle.
I know the 6.5 gets mixed reactions as far as an elk round but it would seem that it does a great job up to 400yds (with a well placed bullet)

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2018, 06:50:12 PM »
What scopes are you running on those 2 rifles and how accurate are they?
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2018, 12:18:02 PM »
The easiest and most certain way to find out if it was a Range Certified model is to call Weatherby and ask them.  You'll need the serial number but they'll be able to tell you definitely if it is or isn't a Ranger Certified model.
Nothing is better than a Weatherby, big bore magnum, or a Colt.