Spike Camp

Shooting Sticks or Bipod

Shooting Sticks or Bipod
« on: September 28, 2018, 07:55:07 PM »
Looking for suggestions for 200-400 yard  shooting when hiking and stalking Elk with my 06. Thanks all.

Re: Shooting Sticks or Bipod
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2018, 06:10:35 AM »
I wouldnít bother with either one. Bipods are a wasted effort because most of the terrain youíll hunt in has grass/bushes taller than your bipod.

Shooting sticks? Ehh...just find a good rest in the field. Iíve hunted elk for decades and have killed plenty of bulls. Some killed with an offhand shot and some with the rifle resting on my backpack.

I personally wouldnít bother with either.
JK

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2018, 07:34:20 AM »
+1 I'm not a fan of either, just more junk to carry, in the field. Just use your backpack, or whatever you can find in the field for a rest.

Rob
cfp-223REM
accumark-223Rem
ultralite-240 Wby
synthetic-240 Wby
synthetic-257 Wby
ultralite-270 Wby
fibermark-270 Wby
accumark-270 Wby
accumark-7mm Wby
stainless-300 Wby
fibermark-300Wby
accumark-30378 Wby
fibermark-340 Wby
accumark-338378 Wby
custom-375 Wby
DGR-378 Wby
DGR-416 Wby
custom DGR-460 Wby

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2018, 07:38:01 AM »
Thanks I never used either for my hunts but was curious if I was missing something. There's good experience on this site.

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2018, 08:52:03 AM »
I don't use a bi-pod, the short one your pack will do the same thing and the tall one is just to heavy and puts my rifle out of balance.
I do carry a tall big-pod. Use them mostly in the sitting position but last year l did take my elk using them standing up.
I am not a good off hand shot and it's not that l don't practice. So l have just gotten used to the bog-pod
Mike

Blackbear3

• In God We Trust!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2018, 09:57:10 AM »
+1 on using your pack as a rest, though I have been thinking of trying a pack mounted rest from Eberlestock.

http://www.eberlestock.com/store/pack-mounted-shooting-rest
We stand for the Flag, and we kneel for the fallen!!!

Doug-NRA Life Member

eford

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2018, 11:46:28 AM »
I have carried a tripod of sticks about three and a half feet long. This allows me to have a steady base while sitting and easily adjusting the height by moving one of the three legs. There is no back and forth wobble you can have with two sticks.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2018, 07:45:29 PM by eford »
Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine.

Every man needs to know his limits.

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2018, 09:43:02 PM »
I bought a really dignified yuppy "hiking stick," I guess you would call it, at a Goodwill store for maybe five dollars.  It was made of lightweight aluminum, and telescoped.  I thought I would use that, as a walking stick, with the option of being able to also grip it at the appropriate height with my left hand, with my thumb sticking out a little bit, and rest the rifle forearm on it.  It worked great with a few practice shots, but I never had the opportunity to use it in the field.  It had a big cork knob on the top of it, and I also tried some practice shots with my hunting pistol, resting my forearm on the cork knob.  That worked well also, but I never tried it in the field.  MM

Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2018, 02:59:47 AM »
I always carry my bog pod shooting sticks. I donít shoot that far but it has helped me more than a few times over the years.
Chris Kiefner

NRA Life Member

DW5

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2018, 11:15:01 AM »
I always carry my bog pod shooting sticks. I donít shoot that far but it has helped me more than a few times over the years.

I am also a fan of the Bog-Pods. I don't carry it with me on every spot and stalk hunt but I do find a variety of uses for it. I do really like it for when I know I'm going to find a good tree or natural cover and hunker down for most of the hunt and I also have bought a few of their different interchangeable top pieces that I find myself using them a few times every year as well. I agree with what others have said about just using the simplicity of a backpack for a rest but have also found I do end up using the Bog-Pod more than I thought I would. 
You cant catch a fish without a hook in the water....

PARA45

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2018, 05:22:15 PM »
When I went to Africa, every shot was from the sticks.  When the sticks when up, you need to ready to shoot.  Not so much here in the US.  However, I've had my Bog-Pod when hunting mule deer in the South Dakota Buttes, and several times I was glad I had them with me. 

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2018, 06:35:58 PM »
I have used just about every thing for A rest Available to me. Mostly my knee or A log on the front of my deer blind. but once they clear cut my deer hunting area. and I switched to A pop up blind with A cushy chair inside. I did start using stoney pointe shooting sticks. until I had A easy shot at A nice buck and just as I tuched off the shot. the left stick sank in the sand and I just watched my cross hairs slide off the bucks chest as the shot went off. Thats when I switched to Primos trigger sticks. with there large rubber feet. and they adjust very nice and easy. I bought the mono pod first. but I was way to wobbly on it. the shorter of the 2 bi pods trigger sticks works great. if I had room in my pop up I would use the shorter tri pod for sure. Dont think I would use them if I were stalking. then I would find something like A tree or drop to the ground. but for stand hunting. give me the trigger sticks every time.
Mark

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2018, 07:18:50 PM »
It really depends on the terrain. I hunt elk in the timber. If you get a shot...you get a few precious seconds to get off the shot. You just donít have time to fiddle with bipods and shooting sticks.

Additionally, when youíre hunting with horses in the backcountry, you donít have a good place to stash shooting sticks or the like.

I can see the utility if youíre in wide open country, but elk generally donít hang out in country like that.
JK

DW5

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2018, 09:24:43 PM »
I have used just about every thing for A rest Available to me. Mostly my knee or A log on the front of my deer blind. but once they clear cut my deer hunting area. and I switched to A pop up blind with A cushy chair inside. I did start using stoney pointe shooting sticks. until I had A easy shot at A nice buck and just as I tuched off the shot. the left stick sank in the sand and I just watched my cross hairs slide off the bucks chest as the shot went off. Thats when I switched to Primos trigger sticks. with there large rubber feet. and they adjust very nice and easy. I bought the mono pod first. but I was way to wobbly on it. the shorter of the 2 bi pods trigger sticks works great. if I had room in my pop up I would use the shorter tri pod for sure. Dont think I would use them if I were stalking. then I would find something like A tree or drop to the ground. but for stand hunting. give me the trigger sticks every time.

Iíve tried a few Primos trigger sticks before. Man, the way they have those things set up to easily change leg height nice.
You cant catch a fish without a hook in the water....

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2018, 08:42:02 AM »
I have killed mule deer with a trigger stick bi-pod.  Where I hunt in the sagebrush there is not always a rest to quickly get too, the trigger stick helps along with being a rest for bino's.  It's one of the few hunting gadgets that works as advertised(at least for me).  I do like the looks of the Eberlestock Shooting Rest, I might have to order one.  I have their backpack.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2018, 08:44:47 AM by beancounter04 »