Spike Camp

Mark V Accumark 257 W. Mag - Thank You!

BrianGHansford

Mark V Accumark 257 W. Mag - Thank You!
« on: October 01, 2018, 07:10:12 PM »
I want to send a personal thank you to the Weatherby family and all of their employees.  Thank you for putting the exclamation point on my first pronghorn antelope hunt in Wyoming this fall.  I am even more of a huge Weatherby advocate than I was before. I have had the opportunity to spend some great time with my 78 y/o father who accompanied me on my trip near Buffalo, Wyoming. 

We scouted a lone buck on a small sliver of BLM land. On opening day, in heavy pea soup fog, we begin our stalk where we last saw the buck.  After some scanning, glassing, and patience, and almost giving up, our buck emerged on a stroll right towards our position.  We were positioned on bluff shelf and the buck closed within 200 yards before he caught a bit of my movement to position my Mark V on my shooting sticks.  He was facing us head on and he just froze. I had him fully in my scope and aimed for a tricky head on under the throat and in the ribcage. I waited a second for a broadside but felt he was gonna bolt.

I took the shot and nailed him right where I aimed and he dropped like a sack of bricks. I've seen some knuckleheads use 300 Win Mag 6.5 Creedmor on a broadside with a pronghorn and the animal still runs for 50 yards. The 257 Weatherby Mag hit hard and clean. My dad had never seen a head on pronghorn shot before. 

My pronghorn is a fine 14 inch buck with heavy mass and a beautiful curled antlers. The game warden at the butcher shop told me it's one of the best bucks he's seen in a while for the unit I was in.  I know it's not Carbon County, WY or a B&C but it's still a great bag for me. Especially since my dad shared the experience with me.

To most it's just another hunting story. But for me it's an incredible way to put the cherry on a great trip with my dad and Weatherby was right there with me.  Thank you everyone Weatherby.

My gun and gear:
Mark V Accumark- Left Hand
Leupold 5X-HD 3-15 with CDS
Weatherby 115 grain nosler tip

-Brian Hansford

PARA45

• View Profile
Re: Mark V Accumark 257 W. Mag - Thank You!
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2018, 07:17:33 PM »
Welcome to the Nation and congratulations on a fine hunt.  Nothing beats the memories of hunting with family members, in this case your dad. Memories like this one make hunting family tradition unforgettable, and in this case you and your dad will be talking about it for many years to come.  Again, congrats!!! 
Senator John Kennedy  " If you support defunding the police, you've tested positive for stupid".

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2018, 07:32:24 PM »
I don't think it's just another hunting story. It reminds me of the hunts l had with my dad. Great memories

Nice choice of calibers

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2018, 07:41:49 PM »
Great story and better yet you got to share your hunt with your Dad.
I can't tame wild women
But I can make tame women wild

sschefer

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2018, 09:54:57 AM »
Great compliment to Weatherby, I'm sure they'll appreciate you sharing your experience with them. Wish I could still hunt with my dad, you truly are a lucky guy. Congrats on the kill and calling the shot with confidence.

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2018, 10:21:48 AM »
257 Weatherby strikes again. Congratulations.
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2018, 10:40:34 AM »
Congratulations on the antelope, it’s awesome you got to share it with your father. I remember hunting with my dad as a kid/teenager. He than became a game warden so I didn’t get to hunt much with him except for coyote and spring turkey. Sadly last year he lost his battle to cancer at the age of 47. I cherish the memories with him and blessed to call him my father.
Scott

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2018, 10:53:51 AM »
Welcome to the Nation and Congratulations on your hunt!!! And a Great story that will be retold many times with pride.
Doug

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2018, 02:21:19 PM »
Congrats
Chris Kiefner

NRA Life Member

DW5

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2018, 03:11:23 PM »
Great story, adds a lot to the great picture, congrats on a fine hunt to you and your father!
You cant catch a fish without a hook in the water....

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2018, 01:02:19 PM »
Nice Buck and rifle! Great story and thanks for sharing, Brian. Can't do much better than a 257 Weatherby and 115 Ballsitic Tips. I sure miss hunting and shooting with my Dad. I lost him 18 years ago when he was only 52.

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2018, 04:26:20 PM »
nice speed goat and a sounds like a great hunt  8)

Rob