Spike Camp

Maintainence

badsection

Maintainence
« on: October 03, 2018, 03:07:35 PM »
Just finished running a oiled patch down the barrel and wiping down the rest of every gun I own!  I do this pretty much every 6 months. It does force me to handle every gun and check all seems O K.  I do take a few guns for granted on their accuracy and dependability. Certain guns make me think about how to pull the bolt out of.  My Savage made Lee Enfield 303 Brit is always a test of my memory on how to pull the bolt even if it is one of the simplest bolt actions ever made. Doing my 336 Marlin in 35 Remington brings back memories of long dead friends from PA.  It was the chosen weapon of deer hunters that I worked with in the late 60's that left home to find work in the MD. suburbs of D.C.   :)

Re: Maintainence
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2018, 05:01:15 PM »
Kevin I do that when I get bored or it's raining and can't do anything else.
I have a new to me M70 300wm I'm playing with and had to make spacers for the bottom metal to fit on a after market stock I have which was designed for the newer 1 piece bottom metal. I don't want to bed it since I tend to swap stocks around sometimes To see it will make a difference in accuracy and this one has a full metal action block in it.
TD

badsection

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2018, 05:31:06 PM »
It was raining off and on. I was bored and the last time I did this was in March.  Yea, I keep a record.  I did drool on 3 wood stocks. The oil finished Classic Mark is a thing of beauty to me.  ;D 

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2018, 07:05:32 AM »
Yep there is nothing like a nice piece of hand rubbed oil finish walnut.
TD

badsection

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2018, 03:02:17 PM »
Next rainy day is for wiping down my knife collection. Some are non stainless (Randall's) and need the attention.  Drooling on them brings rust!   :)

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2018, 03:16:25 PM »
What type of oil do you use Bad
I have a Savage 114 American Walnut stock so am interested

Terry
Guns have two enemies....rust and government
OFHA and CCFR member

badsection

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2018, 03:25:15 PM »
I avoid oil on a wood stock. Funny, I remember Woodstock.  I use sewing machine oil on the metal parts. It's the same as "gun oil" but half the price. I do use "pledge" on some wood/laminate stocks. I use A G Russell's "rust free" on my knives. I have been doing business with A G for close to 30 years. I can't say enough good things about dealing with him.   :)

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2018, 04:11:34 PM »
Yep there is nothing like a nice piece of hand rubbed oil finish walnut.

What do you use to rub down your walnut finish
Thanks

Terry
Guns have two enemies....rust and government
OFHA and CCFR member

badsection

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2018, 04:40:50 PM »
I will use a silicone impregnated cloth if I get them out in the rain, ( a daily occurrence here) .  I have a nice laminate model 70 7mm WSM that I hunt a lot with in any weather. I wipe that down after hunting with a  cloth diaper and then a oily rag before casing it up. Getting the hogs gutted and butchered is a tad more pressing in 80+ temps and 75% humidity in January. The knife I carry hunting is a Buck 118 "personal"  that my dad gave me in 1966. It is my "good luck charm"  I will have my Dozier master skinner knife with D2 steel in my truck for the gutting, skinning and cutting up 4 or 5 hogs with no sharpening needed :)
« Last Edit: October 05, 2018, 11:12:32 AM by badsection »

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2018, 07:29:12 AM »
Nice looking blade.
Funny about the good luck charm, I have a Old Timer minature 3 blade pocket knife (1.5" blade ) that was my constant companion and that little knife has dressed more deer then any of my other knives put together. It seems that I was for ever losing my sheath knife while hunting and the little knife was always there in my pocket. The blade got so short and thin from sharpening I had to retire it. I have several pocket knives I carry for different reasons but the sheath knives I have are either safe queens or reside in a back pack.
TD

badsection

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2018, 09:29:16 AM »
I'm OCD. The only things I ever remember losing was wives and that was mostly on purpose.   ;D

PARA45

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2018, 09:47:28 AM »
Bad, your classic Mark is truly a beauty!  That knife is good looking too.  Is that knife from AG??
Senator John Kennedy  " If you support defunding the police, you've tested positive for stupid".

badsection

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2018, 11:08:35 AM »
Yes, been doing business with A G Russell for close to 30 years, great to deal with! HA, it was pre internet and purely mail order when I started dealing with them.  That knife will hold a edge just about forever but it ain't cheap.   :)