Spike Camp

Accuracy Enough is Enough

Accuracy Enough is Enough
« on: October 04, 2018, 06:18:04 PM »
https://www.chuckhawks.com/practical_accuracy.htm

Am I glad I read this. I have been killing myself with different loads Powders and bullets and bullet weights. countless trips to the range for true cold barrel 3 shot groups that would measure up to what A Few of my Rifles can do and all the pictures of Awesome groups posted on line. My goal was to reach 3100 fps and consistent sub 1" - 3 shot groups. In my 300 Win mag SS.
It just doesn't have it. Not with out A free floating job and that's no guarantee. so I decided to look up just what is Acceptable Accuracy in A big game Rifle. According to Chuck Hawks Im already there. My 1 1/8" to 1 5/8" Groups are just fine. And that's good to know. I was ready to grind off the pressure points on my new Bell & Carlson Stock and glass her up. And I really didn't want to do that to this Rifle. They cant all be tack drivers Good Enough is Good Enough.
Mark

Re: Accuracy Enough is Enough
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2018, 06:28:56 PM »
Mark l totally agree. For years weatherby had a 1 1/2"  guarantee.
And they were the best!!
It's fun to shoot small groups, but  necessary at normal hunting ranges. I don't think so

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2018, 06:53:13 PM »
+2
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

Buckleman

• B-MAN
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2018, 07:20:31 PM »
If they don't shoot an inch or under, float and bed. If they still don't shoot well I get rid of them. Have to have an inch or better with hand loads.

eford

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2018, 07:30:46 PM »
+3
Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine.

Every man needs to know his limits.

DW5

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2018, 08:00:51 PM »
+4
You cant catch a fish without a hook in the water....

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2018, 10:03:06 PM »
+5  a few months back I found the factory target that came with my frist weatherby (mark V stainless 300 Wby). I measured it at 1.4" shot with the 180 gr sp ex load. I made me think a bit on how I brought 5 boxes of that ammo ( I wanted 100 pieces of brass) and how I shot about everything from coyotes to moose and elk, and some, farther distances than most people shoot, with that ammo shooting approx. 1.5 moa. with no problems.

Rob

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2018, 08:18:33 AM »
+6

Terry
Guns have two enemies....rust and government
OFHA and CCFR member

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2018, 08:54:07 AM »
I totally agree, look what sniper Carlos Hathcock did with a rifle that was said to be a 2 inch gun.
John

badsection

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2018, 08:59:38 AM »
Sometimes we all get a little picky on paper accuracy. It certainly does build my confidence in a rifle, my shooting ability and the load when it's sub moa.  I used to hear pie plate accuracy was good enough for 100yd and closer deer. It's probably true.  :)

sschefer

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2018, 09:38:15 AM »
In the 100 yards or less flat shooting hunting world, pie plate accuracy is fine. Grab that 30-30 Lever gun and call it good, you'll probably come home with meat. Now consider the following example:

You're on a hunt, you see a big Muley across a 100 yard ravine and 75 yards up the hillside near the top of the ridge and he's looking like he's going over the top. To make matters worse, there's a 10 mph cross wind. You either take the shot of you loose the opportunity. How important is it that your rifle shoots 1 MOA now? I would say it's pretty important and pie plate accuracy is not going to cut it. You've got windage and elevation holds to deal with and you're not going to be 100% accurate with that so you're depending on your rifles accuracy to get you through it.

Just so you know, that situation occurred in 1963 in the Ruby Valley of Nevada, I was 10 years old with my first rifle, a 1963 model 94 30-30. I got the buck on the 5th shot and on the run and yes it was pure luck by a kid with buck fever. My Dad made sure I knew that I should have never taken the shots but around the campfire that night he had bragging rights and made good use of them.

eford

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2018, 11:21:40 AM »
A shot with a cross wind is my greatest challenge. Finding the range is easy. Knowing the exterior ballistics isn't that hard if you practice and have consistent ammo. Correctly juding the wind velocity and direct 300 yards away is daunting.
Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine.

Every man needs to know his limits.

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2018, 11:53:10 AM »
# 7...
Any man who would compromise his freedom in pursuit of safety deserves neither freedom or safety...BF

wby4ever

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2018, 08:29:00 PM »
+8

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2018, 07:14:36 AM »
Sometimes we all get a little picky on paper accuracy. It certainly does build my confidence in a rifle, my shooting ability and the load when it's sub moa.  I used to hear pie plate accuracy was good enough for 100yd and closer deer. It's probably true.  :)
+1 If the rifle is capable of shooting small groups, shoot em, they are confidence builders. However, if your rifle only consistently shoots 1.25" groups @ 100 yds. just wrap your head around the "fact" that your aim and shot will be true out to 200 yds. You can just about get a 6" pie plate on a Ki-yote at 200 yds. Old school teachings are valuable lessons.
DosEquisShooter