Spike Camp

Another comment on JP's story of his miss-remembering the car color

What JP said about incorrectly remembering the color of the conman's car, reminded me of a recent conversation with two of my adult kids.  About three weeks ago, we went to an annual Church Festival that most of my family attends every year.  You have to travel down a narrow, dinky FM road for a couple of miles to get there.  While there, my son told me about one year, when he was just a kid, he and my daughter, she's a couple years younger, were riding out to the Festival with my Mother in her truck.  He said that Mother must have gotten distracted, and swerved off the road a little, and took out a mailbox.  A LOUD bang.  He remembered the exact spot, just before the only little bridge on the road.  He said he shouted at Mother that she had just hit a mailbox, and he had almost jumped out of his seat.  Mother said, "Oh, I didn't hit a mailbox, that was just a big rock that flew up under the truck."  We both laughed it off, I had not heard that story before.  Maybe an hour or so later, my daughter arrived with her family at the festival, and I brought up that story.  She looked at me, and then at her brother, and said, "You weren't with us, it was just me and Granny in the truck, you rode with Mom.  I was in the front seat, Granny swerved and hit a mailbox, and I shouted out at Granny after the bang that she hit a mailbox, and Granny said, it was just a rock.  It was right before that little bridge."  My son said, no, he was with her, and Mother in the truck when it happened, and my daughter was POSITIVE, it was only her.  So, one of them is mistaken, and they both swear that their story is correct.  I cannot say that either of them is "lying"; they are both telling the truth as they remember it.  One of them just "miss-remembered."  I do think that the Dr. Ford woman DID go through an "episode" with a boy at a party.  She is just miss-remembering who it was.   MM

Re: Another comment on JP's story of his miss-remembering the car color
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2018, 04:27:53 AM »
Good point and well told, MM !   :)

PARA45

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2018, 05:28:15 AM »
+1, excellent point MM.

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2018, 06:11:05 AM »
MM, your son's and daughter's recollections are exceptional examples of how even "would be eye witnesses" can remember credible facts of a remembered true story. Sometimes "the mind" has a strange way of interchanging characters in stories, but the facts of the story stay locked in. How many times have you heard someone tell a story and end it by saying, "thats a true story". It's a true story, it just didn't happen to them or not quite that way.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2018, 06:20:12 AM by danno50 »
DosEquisShooter

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2018, 01:00:43 PM »
They both remembered how they got there, where they were and who was driving, more than Dr. Ford who claimed to have gone through a 'life changing event'. I tend to remember every little detail about "life changing events" in my life. JFK getting shot sticks in my mind from 1963.   :)   
« Last Edit: October 08, 2018, 02:01:33 PM by badsection »

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2018, 02:38:03 PM »
Interesting story Mark.
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.