Spike Camp

Weatherby Vangard H Bar

Gusjake

Weatherby Vangard H Bar
« on: October 08, 2018, 04:01:35 PM »
Hello, I have a vangard H bar in 308, I cannot put more than 1 shell into the magazine, it seems like the plastic follower is jamming against the front of the box and the spring will not compress.If I pull the bottom of the spring a 1/4 inch back from locking in the bottom of the floor plate everything loads as it should please advise .
Thanks Brett

badsection

Re: Weatherby Vangard H Bar
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2018, 04:35:37 PM »
Welcome to the nation! Could the follower/spring be in backwards?  Just a swag ( scientific wild ass guess)!  :)

PARA45

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2018, 04:57:04 PM »
+2.  If you could post a picture, that would help tremendously.  BTW, Welcome to The Nation.
Senator John Kennedy  " If you support defunding the police, you've tested positive for stupid".

Gusjake

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2018, 05:44:32 PM »
Hello everyone,thanks for the 2 replys so far, I tried putting the spring in the opposite way, no change, a matter a fact , it was worse.
I even had a extra spring from a long action vangard that I cut down to duplicate the exact size of the original one ,and this never helped either

badsection

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2018, 08:31:02 AM »
I'd contact Weatherby about this.  Keep in mind , they are in the middle of a move. It might take a while for a response. Good Luck with it!   :)

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2018, 09:15:49 AM »
Could this be a single shot target rifle that has a magazine block in it to allow only chambering one round at a time?
TD

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2018, 03:47:03 PM »
I have a Howa .308 that feeds with no issues. Since the components are very inexpensive, I would try an entirely new follower and follower spring (normal short action length components). Could even buy a replacement magazine box. Are you using some factory ammunition or reloads?

Frankly, there just are not that many things that can cause this problem.
JK

badsection

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2018, 04:05:12 PM »
This rifle is entirely as factory sold? If not what has changed?

Gusjake

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2018, 05:50:30 PM »
I have a Howa .308 that feeds with no issues. Since the components are very inexpensive, I would try an entirely new follower and follower spring (normal short action length components). Could even buy a replacement magazine box. Are you using some factory ammunition or reloads?

Frankly, there just are not that many things that can cause this problem.
Yes factory ammo,everything is new

Gusjake

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2018, 05:51:46 PM »
Rifle is brand new, nothing altered,has done this since new???

badsection

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2018, 06:02:57 PM »
Rifle is brand new, nothing altered,has done this since new???
Check with Weatherby. Just asking the silly questions, we have seen some things here!  :)

zonie

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2018, 12:32:41 PM »
I would look at the magazine box and follower,  specifically the magazine box ( if installed correctly ? )  this happened to me with a new S2 Vanguard follower was too tight and magazine box was installed incorrectly,   the OLD S1 vanguards had a welded mag box which you probably could not install wrong because you can't compress the welded end.    The New S2 vanguards from what I've seen do not have a  completely welded magazine box and CAN BE COMPRESSED TIGHTER on one end  not allowing the magazine follower to depress not allowing a cartridge to install or not allow the full magazine case capacity depending upon where the magazine box is bending inwards.  Mine came from the factory that way and of course me being me after taking the rifle back to Sportsman's warehouse where I bought it and showed them the problem also.  I took it apart and found the problem of the magazine not installed correctly or sitting flush with the action  along with a call to Weatherby for a new follower that was too tight  which they sent out a new follower.  I bent the non welded magazine box back out a little bit and it fit perfectly flush with the receiver.  Mine would also push the 3 rd  loaded cartridge  when chambering a round up and out of the action which was the first indicator there was a problem.   My problem was found after a little careful looking at the situation, for the life of me I don't understand why Weatherby went to a non welded box magazine which can cause problems if not installed correctly and mine came from the factory that way.   Maybe Weatherby has corrected the problem or have  a better inspection or QA process that I'm not aware of, such as  inspected by number 5 or so and so, which would include a  functional inspection before shipping out.   I don't know if they do that or not,  Maybe mine was the one that just slipped by ?   I know in my case the rifle functions perfectly today and is one of my favorite rifles if not for someone in the process not installing the magazine box correctly. 
« Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 12:39:59 PM by zonie »