Spike Camp

Magneto Speed Sporter Chronograph

Magneto Speed Sporter Chronograph
« on: October 09, 2018, 08:13:07 AM »
Anyone here use this brand chronograph and how do you like it? Just interested in the sporter model and too cheap to buy the V3 or a Lab Radar.
TD

Re: Magneto Speed Sporter Chronograph
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2018, 09:36:49 AM »
I have been using one for several years. Eford turned me onto them. Work great and super easy to setup use.
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

Jay W

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2018, 01:05:38 PM »
Use one as well.... It does seem to move my point of impact over any inch. Does not affect grouping tho, very easy to use...

eford

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2018, 01:08:25 PM »
I have had the Sporter model for several years. They are easy to use, store something like the last 40 velocity readings, and have no variations in speeds based on lighting. You can used the choronograph with braked barrels. For the money they are vastly superior to the light-based chronographs, in my humble opinion.
Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine.

Every man needs to know his limits.

Stacy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2018, 04:26:11 AM »
I tried the V2, then the Labradar and now the V3. I've also had several regular chronographs over the years. I like the magnetospeed the best.

It is consistent and usable anywhere. The downside is mounting it on your firearm may alter your POI so be aware. Some people have reported their group size remains the same with it mounted on their barrels just with a different POI. I haven't tested that theory.

I've used my V3 on unbraked rifles, braked rifles, 44 magnum revolvers, 357 magnum revolvers and with a rail attachment, to one of my 10mms. If you are shooting solid lead boolits in a handgun, you'll need to adjust the sensitivity but once you figure that out you're good to go. There is no current attachment to test auto pistols which do not have a rail. So, if you want to measure their velocity, you'll need to improvise an attachment device or use a different chronograph.   

My Labradar is a different story.         

eford

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2018, 07:48:55 AM »
It is important to check the tension of the strap that holds the MagnetoSpeed mount to the barrel. I glossy barrel will not let the nylon strap "grab" like a slightly rough or textured barrel can. I made the mistake of not checking the tension and a bullet just barely grazed the edge of sensor bar (aka the bayonet) but it didn't damage the sensors. I was lucky.

Another nice feature is the voltage reading on the each time you plug into the screen. If you voltate is too low, you'll get an error code. I found that out the hard way but a battery change was all that it took and all is well.
Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine.

Every man needs to know his limits.

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2018, 02:24:21 PM »
I have the sporter and love it.