Spike Camp

New Owner, SA-08 28" 20ga...no complaints, all is well!

Chris_L

New Owner, SA-08 28" 20ga...no complaints, all is well!
« on: October 13, 2018, 11:51:06 AM »
I bought the gun to let my wife and kids use for skeet/trap along with me.  I read so many threads on light load issues that I had concerns when first shooting the gun.  I cleaned and lightly oiled the gun upon receipt and kept the light load piston in there.  Picked up 1200fps target loads at #9 and hit the skeet stations for beginners instruction.  Surprised myself by hitting the high bird at station 8 on first attempt!  Low bird was hit on second shot.  Station 2 was hard and I missed the first bird.  Anyway..back to the point of this post...75 rounds of target loads without issue.  Ejects were several feet away, no failures to feed.  The gun worked well and I was about 70% on hits (without shooting doubles) so I guess I'll keep it :)  My wife liked shooting it as well.  Kids need more practice but found it to be easy to shoot.   Looking forward to more time at the club with this gun!    Prior experience with shotguns was 30+ years ago with my old 12ga pump and many a rabbit, and a handful of grouse.  The sa-08 is much nicer to shoot!

Re: New Owner, SA-08 28" 20ga...no complaints, all is well!
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2018, 12:24:39 PM »
Congratulations on your purchase. Sounds like you might be buying several more for the family. ;D
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

Chris_L

Re: New Owner, SA-08 28" 20ga...no complaints, all is well!
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2018, 12:23:33 PM »
600+ shots in with a cursory cleaning of the gas barrel to get the grime off and no failures to feed or eject.  Ejections are about 5 feet away.  Still using gun club 7/8 oz loads at 1200fps with the light recoil piston. Gun is great but I also bought a Beretta Silver Pigeon 12ga o/u tailored for left hand shooters for skeet and trap.  The Weatherby will still be used by me as a second gun, but will be handed off to my son mainly and my wife as well.  The both will be shooting skeet along with me.  Should I go bird hunting, the Weatherby will be my first choice.  Love the gun and have received some surprised (positive) reviews from others I've let shoot the gun at skeet.  Might have converted a Benelli pump owner to Weatherby semi's!