Spike Camp

My Plains game.

BB340

• View Profile
My Plains game.
« on: October 14, 2018, 06:54:35 PM »
After spending 10-11 days trying to get a cape buffalo and finally succeeding, it was time to hunt some plains game.
Actually I took my Nyala on the 8th or 9th day as I wanted to get something in the salt and raise spirits a bit as we were all getting quite dejected and a bit cranky at the buff as they kept evading us.
We were just poking along early one morning and seen him standing behind some thick bushes. My PH said he was a nice mature male and to take him if I wanted. I was a bit hesitant as we had seen some really magnificent Nyala bulls during the past week. But I figured bugger it, he was there, he was a nice bull so I swung the big .460 towards him. I did have the .257 Roy on the rack in front of me and I wish I could have used it on him, but I didn't think I'd have enough time to swap them over. Anyway, He was hard to make out in the dark thicket. I was confident I was on his shoulder and squeezed the trigger. It came as a surprise that he bolted off seemingly uninjured! The trackers went to work and found him piled after a 80 yard dash. My shot was either off or deflected off a branch and just ripped the front of his neck open. Photos were taken and he was taken to the shed to be skinned out for a full body mount.
The Impala was taken pretty easy as it walked directly away from me at around 40m. I hit him with a rear end racking shot with a 115grn TSX from the .257 Bee. It entered his back leg and came out near the front shoulder. He fell over, rolled down the hill and sat there not dead yet. So I gave him another one.
We seen the Bushbuck as we were literally driving along the Zimbabwe/South African border and he ran off before I could get a shot. We knew he was a good looking buck so tried following him. After weaving our way thru the bush he was spotted standing in the thick bush on top of a small rise about 50m away. I swung the custom seat and found his shoulder was the only part exposed thru a small gap in the thorn bush. After the shot he jumped at the impact, bolted 10m and collapsed! He too is destined for a full body mount.
Getting a Duiker was going to be hard on this place as the bush is just so thick and the little buggers are that flighty I never even came close to getting a shot at one. But we were set up in one of the permanent blinds hoping to get my girlfriend Jas a nice Impala when out of nowhere the little fella walked out. It was a mad scramble to quietly take the rifle from the rest it was set up on to another window for the shot. I could only just see out of the window but managed to hit him behind the shoulder with the .257 and he stumbled forward and into the dry creek bed. And so yep he too is being full body mounted.
I then took a few baboons from the front deck of our tent as they moved about across the river.
For Jas's Impala we were again set up at a blind waiting for either an Impala for her or a Eland for me. It was the 2nd last day and getting late when this cull Impala came in so Peet said to take him so she at least has one and we will hopefully find a trophy one the next day. So she smacked him behind the shoulder and he ran off but dropped not far out of sight. She was over the moon withit! She even said she liked it more than a normal trophy Impala as it was different.
On the last day we went up the river to set up and see if a nice Female Nyala would come out for Jas to take. We were there barely 10 minutes and several started coming down to drink. The most visible ones were too young or had babies with them. But one mature girl with no offspring stood back in the bush with only her head and neck showing. Jas had a steady rest and took her cleanly with a neck shot. We now had a matching pair of Male & Female Nyalas destined to both be full body mounted side by side.
Overall it was one awesome trip! My rifles worked perfectly, however I feel for the smaller of the plains game I took the 100 grain TSX or even a standard SP would of worked better. But I went with the 115 grain in case I got a shot at big Kudu, Gemsbok or Zebra.
Anyway sorry for the long story but it's hard to fit over 2 weeks of hunting into a short story.
Cheers guys,
Brett 
« Last Edit: October 14, 2018, 07:40:36 PM by BB340 »
Aussie gun nut.

Re: My Plains game.
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2018, 09:19:07 PM »
awesome pics, and sounds like a great time, Brett. I need to quit buggering around, make some time and plan an African hunt, it's been on my bucket list for awhile now.

Rob
cfp-223REM
accumark-223Rem
ultralite-240 Wby
synthetic-240 Wby
synthetic-257 Wby
ultralite-270 Wby
fibermark-270 Wby
accumark-270 Wby
accumark-7mm Wby
stainless-300 Wby
fibermark-300Wby
accumark-30378 Wby
fibermark-340 Wby
accumark-338378 Wby
custom-375 Wby
DGR-378 Wby
DGR-416 Wby
custom DGR-460 Wby

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2018, 03:37:18 AM »
Congratulations to both you guys on some great trophies. Thanks for sharing your story and pictures.
Scott

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2018, 04:44:19 AM »
Well done! Congratulations to both of you. Excellent report and pictures. Thanks for sharing.
Duane

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2018, 10:10:31 AM »
Congrats. Great pictures and story. Thanks. Are you sure that baboon is dead.Looks like you guys are just enjoying your time together telling stories. ;D How was Krueger Park?
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

Blackbear3

• In God We Trust!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2018, 11:52:18 AM »
Congratulations to both of you, it looks like you had a great time!!!
We stand for the Flag, and we kneel for the fallen!!!

Doug-NRA Life Member

BB340

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2018, 04:53:30 PM »
Congrats. Great pictures and story. Thanks. Are you sure that baboon is dead.Looks like you guys are just enjoying your time together telling stories. ;D How was Krueger Park?

Haha yeah he does look alive. We done some funny poses with the baboons too. But am hesitant to post online as it just gives anti hunters something to whinge about. We done one laying on the ground with it set up holding my rifle in a sniper pose and me laying next to it with binos as a spotter. Then one with it holding my rifle and me dead on the ground. Another one with Jas and I either side and in a meditating pose lol.

Yes we had a great time together there. It was our anniversary while we were there and the staff set up a candle light dinner by the pool for us. Complete with gift basket and champagne.

Well Kruger is not what I expected.... It is fast becoming a wasteland due to the overpopulation of elephants! We spent almost 3 days touring it and by the end of the 1st day we were over seeing elephants! They are everywhere. And the destruction they are causing is beyond belief. If the government do not restart the culling operations then Kruger is going to be a dust bowl in perhaps as little as 10 years...
We did see some really nice animals though. Included lion and hyena. Plus a leopard when we went on a night tour.
Would I go back there again... No.... One day touring was quite enough. 
Aussie gun nut.

BB340

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2018, 04:56:24 PM »
awesome pics, and sounds like a great time, Brett. I need to quit buggering around, make some time and plan an African hunt, it's been on my bucket list for awhile now.

Rob

All I can say Rob is DO IT!! But be prepared as once won't be enough. If it's on your bucket list then get it ticked off sooner rather than later. Especially because times are a changing so who knows how much longer hunting will be easily accepted and affordable over there.
Aussie gun nut.

PARA45

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2018, 10:38:08 AM »
BB, outstanding trophies, and I'm glad Jas was able to connect twice.  Congrats to both of ya! That Nyala is a stud, and will make a beautiful full mount.

BB, while we were there we went to a preserve, and rode on the back of Eles, and they are the most destructive animals on this earth.  They will break a tree in half, just to eat a few leaves from a particular branch.  I couldn't believe it.

Rob, Africa is not out reach as I used to think, and anyone can take that trip.  I was fortunate enough to shoot 7 animals, and those 7 were cheaper than the price of an elk hunt out West.  Were it gets expensive is on the taxidermy, and depending from where you are flying the air faire ($5000. round trip for my wife & me).  My wife wants to go back soon.  ;D

BB340

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2018, 04:12:16 PM »
Yep you sure are right Oscar. They are destroying that park at a phenomenal rate. But hey government wont do any culling because of the outside investors threaten to pull the pin on the money to keep the park going. They have no idea on how to sustain the ecology.
Aussie gun nut.

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2018, 06:25:13 PM »
Congrats and thanx for the story BB340!

Sounds like a successful trip and a good time. Your story was definitely a good read.

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2018, 08:21:44 PM »

Rob

All I can say Rob is DO IT!! But be prepared as once won't be enough. If it's on your bucket list then get it ticked off sooner rather than later. Especially because times are a changing so who knows how much longer hunting will be easily accepted and affordable over there.

your trip, has kind of lit a fire under my ass to get an African trip planned in the near future. I had one planned 4 years ago,but had to cancel it, the oilpatch crashed here, and so did my extra disposable income fund for international hunting trips. But the oilpatch is turning around again, and the hunting fund is also.  ::)

Rob
cfp-223REM
accumark-223Rem
ultralite-240 Wby
synthetic-240 Wby
synthetic-257 Wby
ultralite-270 Wby
fibermark-270 Wby
accumark-270 Wby
accumark-7mm Wby
stainless-300 Wby
fibermark-300Wby
accumark-30378 Wby
fibermark-340 Wby
accumark-338378 Wby
custom-375 Wby
DGR-378 Wby
DGR-416 Wby
custom DGR-460 Wby

BB340

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2018, 06:14:46 PM »
Good to hear Rob. I hope you get over there and get amongst them. Like Oscar said, Africa is not that expensive to hunt. You can get some great deals on plains game hunts. But be warned mate, once you go then you will be wanting to go back again and again..

I am already planning my next hunt which will be a Hippo and Croc hunt in maybe Mozambique or Zimbabwe. If I go with this same outfitter it'll be in Zimbabwe and then after that we will head to the Kalahari for plains game. But it won't be for a few years yet. I have to buy or build a new trophy room with house attached. Then save a heap more as the missus now has the African bug and here plains game list is growing lol.
Aussie gun nut.

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2018, 10:41:09 AM »
Great hunt and impressive animals
Mike