Spike Camp

Got my Cape Buffalo story again...

BB340

• View Profile
Got my Cape Buffalo story again...
« on: October 14, 2018, 09:05:11 PM »
Well I have returned from South Africa where I have been hunting and a bit of touring for the past 3 weeks.
I was hunting with Peet Bezuidenhout from www.tshipise-safaris.com for Cape buffalo and plains game. His hunting property is literally on the border of Zimbabwe.
As some of you know I really wanted to try and hunt a buff from the ground in my wheelchair by spot and stalk. Well after seeing the terrain we were hunting in, it turned out to be an impossible task. The area I was hunting is ear impossible to get around in a wheelchair. However I still had a great hunt from a specially made seat that Peet had made just for this hunt and of course for other disabled hunters in the future. It strapped down in the back of his truck and was capable of swinging 360* and also had a movable rifle holder.
It took us 10-11 days of hard hunting in near 40oC heat chasing buffalo. It is hard enough to hunt buff on foot so imagine how hard it would have been to get close enough for a shot from a noisy Toyota Landcruiser. But we eventually got lucky and found one bull that stood his ground in thick cover at no more than 25 meters. I swung the seat sideways and planted a 500gr TSX from my .460 WBY right on the point of his shoulder. He bucked at the shot, turned and bolted thru the thick bush. I hit him again as he ran directly away, the projectile hit a branch on its way, resulting in it hitting the bull’s rump sideways. Yet it still penetrated and broke his hip. After waiting 10 minutes for a younger buff to clear off (he was angry and didn't want to move) the trackers found a good blood trail and followed it. After 50 meters the blood trail lead into an impenetrable patch of thick thorn bushes. So we drove off around the patch and could see the bull standing in the thicket watching his back trail. He turned & looked at us and so I hit him again in the front of his chest. He took the shot, turned and stumbled off. We drove forward 10m and I again hit him in the shoulder. He dropped at that shot. He still wasn't out so I put one more shot from the big .460 thru his back. We had him! However when my PH Peet walked into the thicket the bull still wasn’t quite gone so he put one into him at near point blank from his .375 H&H. The bull’s death bellow sounded shortly after and it was handshakes and back slaps all round.
Here are a few pics of it and I will have some more photos promoting Weatherby when my videographer gets some stills from the hi res video he took. I will also have a dvd made of this hunt.
Well I have been having trouble with uploading the photos for my buffalo.
I got one to upload with the story and it is titled "Got My Cape Buffalo." I then did the plains game post and all the photos uploaded for it. Then I decided to go back and see if I could upload some more photos onto the original Buff post... But for some reason they still wouldn't post and then I was unable to open the post. So I decided to start again as I am unsure if anyone can open the 1st buffalo story...
My apologies if both are able to be opened.
Also unfortunately it appears that only one photo of my Buffalo will upload. I don't know why as they are the same format and everything as all the plains game photos... Bloody computers!!  >:(
I will put up another post about the plains game we took as there is not enough room to fit everything on this one post.
Cheers,
Brett
Aussie gun nut.

Re: Got my Cape Buffalo story again...
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2018, 10:12:42 PM »
that is a great looking dugga boy Brett,  8) he was a tough old boy to take that much punishment from a 460.  :o  sound like you had a great time, awesome . ;D  8)

Rob

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2018, 11:14:46 AM »
WOW That was a tough old Buff. Congratulations.
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2018, 12:57:04 PM »
Great picture and story!!! Wow, definitely one tough S.O.B.!!!
Doug

DW5

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2018, 10:20:01 PM »
Crazy amount of damage that buff took. Way to do your part and congratulations!
You cant catch a fish without a hook in the water....

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2018, 11:32:27 PM »
Congrats on a great buff and story.
NRA Endowment Life Member

PARA45

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2018, 11:22:47 AM »
Congrats BB, that is one tough and old warrior.  Very happy for your success!!!
Senator John Kennedy  " If you support defunding the police, you've tested positive for stupid".

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2018, 09:28:03 PM »
Congratulations on a successful and impressive African adventure. I was sure hoping to read all about your spot and stalk hunts, but the rugged veld made that impossible. I'll bet you were way more disappointed than I was.  >:(  However, from the count of all those animals, I'd say you got over it pretty good though.  :) Kudos on your tremendous Cape Buffalo. The fact that it took multiple shots to finally bring him down is a testiment to their strength, remarkable toughness, and their fierce attitude. That first shot must have taken a lot out of him, as he never attempted a charge. Those bosses are very impressive. (almost looks like the horns are flexing their muscles)  The picture of you, the 460 Wby and the slain beast is worthy of at least a 16x20 to hang in the living room. 8) Congrats on taking the King of the Big Five of Africa. Good on ya and good huntin.
DosEquisShooter

BB340

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2018, 07:05:28 PM »
Congratulations on a successful and impressive African adventure. I was sure hoping to read all about your spot and stalk hunts, but the rugged veld made that impossible. I'll bet you were way more disappointed than I was.  >:(  However, from the count of all those animals, I'd say you got over it pretty good though.  :) Kudos on your tremendous Cape Buffalo. The fact that it took multiple shots to finally bring him down is a testiment to their strength, remarkable toughness, and their fierce attitude. That first shot must have taken a lot out of him, as he never attempted a charge. Those bosses are very impressive. (almost looks like the horns are flexing their muscles)  The picture of you, the 460 Wby and the slain beast is worthy of at least a 16x20 to hang in the living room. 8) Congrats on taking the King of the Big Five of Africa. Good on ya and good huntin.

Thanks for the kind words Danno. Actually I was not that dissapointed in not being able to take the buff from my chair. It turned out to be that difficult to get it from the vehicle that it made it quite exciting. We were almost rally driving a lot of the time trying to get in front of a mob and so that was fun in itself. Peet was driving like a crazed man and I was hanging on up the back for dear life! Sure not your typical or traditional style spot and stalk hunt, but it's the way we had to do it and so I made the most of it and had fun doing it that way. I was glad I didn't get it while sitting in a blind as I don't like hunting from a blind. I have nothing against it, it's just not my cup of tea. But also in saying that I have no regrets in getting my Duiker froma blind...
Yes I think that being hit by that 1st 500 grain TSX from the .460 at such a short distance sure did put the hurt on him.
When we found him in the thick bush watching his back trail, he did turn to face us but with a broken shoulder and broken hip I don't think he had the power left to charge. But then again not all buffalo charge either....
That photo sure will be enlarged to go in the living room. I may have my mate do up a frame like this one he done for my lion.
Thanks again Danno.
Aussie gun nut.

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2018, 11:35:08 AM »
Want a hunt, to over come obstacles and still make it work, congratulations to you on a great adventure