Spike Camp

New .257 WM Mark V

sschefer

New .257 WM Mark V
« on: October 15, 2018, 12:30:10 PM »
So the sad saga of the Gun Show 1960 257 WM Mark V is over. That rifle is now retired being returned to original condition and then hung above my mantle (I don't use the fireplace).

The new rifle arrived last week while I was fishing Pyramid Lake, Nevada so I took a day off from fishing and went into Reno to pick it up. The new rifle seems heavier with the #2 Barrel and the stock is stouter but there is a remarkable likeness in the figuring and looks a lot like the original rifle after I refinished the stock. I was pleasantly surprised to see that this one is marked "Made in USA". Not that this is anything wonderfully better but it's just nice to see.

I've attached pics of the new rifle.

Re: New .257 WM Mark V
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2018, 12:34:34 PM »
Nice, I hope it shots as good as it looks!!!
Doug

BB340

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2018, 06:01:49 PM »
WOW beautiful! I absolutely love it. Congrats.
Aussie gun nut.

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2018, 06:36:45 PM »
Beautiful Stock. Congratulations.
Roger
Faster horses,younger women,older whiskey,and more money.

sschefer

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2018, 08:59:58 AM »
Thanks everyone, I'm waiting on Weatherby branded bases and rings then I'll get it out and break it in.

sschefer

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2018, 08:52:04 PM »
Got the Tally standard permanent rings and standard magnum bases from Weatherby today. Very fast shipping I might add.. Also got my T Shirt, soft case, sling and Jacket. Yeah, I just had to have those.. LOL.. I was a little leery when I ordered the low rings for my 30mm Swarovski X5 but they worked perfectly. I'm satisfied with the distance of my scope from the barrel. I like it as close as I can get it. The Rifle truly is downright purdy… I'm going to try to get out behind the house and get it broke in this weekend.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 08:54:08 PM by sschefer »

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2018, 03:17:10 PM »
Beautiful rifle!!
"The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence."

DW5

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2018, 03:44:22 PM »
Beautiful rifle!!

+1 on that for sure!
You cant catch a fish without a hook in the water....

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2018, 04:20:30 PM »
That’s a beautiful piece of wood on that rifle.
Scott

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2018, 06:21:19 PM »
Beautiful, good luck with it.
Nothing is better than a Weatherby, big bore magnum, or a Colt.

sschefer

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2018, 06:36:09 PM »
What's almost spooky is that this stock looks very similar to my 1960 Pre-Mark after I refinished it. This new rifle is it's replacement. The attached picture is the old 257.

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2018, 06:42:03 PM »
Time to update your profile picture sschefer!

sschefer

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2018, 06:52:28 PM »
Time to update your profile picture sschefer!

Ha, you're right. I didn't even think about that.. It will be done..

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2018, 05:44:40 AM »
Congratulations, well done!!

sschefer

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2018, 06:39:21 PM »
I took the new rifle out to the range today and did the full blown Weatherby Gospel break in. I used Weatherby Premium Plus ammo with 110g Accubond bullets. This is the second time I've done one of these break ins and it's pretty cool to watch the rifle just shoot better and better and better. The drawback is that it's very tiring and by the time you get to the end your not shooting as well as the rifle can.

The only complaint I have is that around the 8th 3 round group the trigger began to develop a gritty creep. It's entirely possible that it got Bore Tech in it since I wasn't stingy with it at all. I'll field strip it and clean it out with contact cleaner. If it still persists after that, I just happen to have a Timney sitting on the shelf that fits this rifle. Go figure... LOL.. The attached picture is of the 7th of the 3 round groups and the best I shot. I sort of fell apart after that and the groups opened up but that was me and not the rifle.

The other thing I think is work mentioning is that this rifle is a joy to shoot. My first shot was from my lead sled and It barely moved. I took it out of the sled and shot all the rest from a bench rest bag.

You're going to have to look close at the attachment to see all 3 rounds but they are there, I promise.

All in all, I love this rifle caliber. Smokin fast, dead on accurate and a real joy to shoot. I'll stop short of calling 40 rounds and 20 cleanings a joy but I'm sold on it being a good break in procedure.