Spike Camp

?

badsection

?
« on: October 25, 2018, 03:30:15 PM »
Had a medical assistant at my new Doctor's office take a blood sample from me today, not unexpected.  I was making bad jokes about the stupid forms I was filling out as I bled. Yes, they were that fast! This kids English was good with a definite Hispanic accent. He said learning his job and doing it well was his 2nd biggest accomplishment. I had to ask what was #1. "Becoming a U S Citizen" without missing a heartbeat! After a thought, I shook his hand and said "Congratulations, too many of us take that for granted. Thought the kid was going to cry!  :) Still think I did the right thing there.

dubyam

• View Profile
Re: ?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2018, 03:34:38 PM »
Definitely!
I believe this is a practical world, and in it I can count only on what I can earn.  Therefore I believe in work, hard work. - The Auburn Creed
The older I get, the less stock I place in what men say, and the more I place in what men do. - Andrew Carnegie

badsection

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2018, 04:49:05 PM »
I saw the nurse practitioner next. I knew her accent.100% Maryland!  U of MD grad! Grew up near T D, in Westminister !  Asked her if she ever had a beer at the "Vue". Its a bar about 50' off campus.  Hell, yea! Asked her why they ask about marital status on the silly forms I was sill filling out. "It determines your stress level, married people are much more stressed"  Damn, as cynical as I am at  her age  of 30?  I like this place!   ;D

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2018, 05:27:00 PM »
You should get a job there as Greeter. :)
I can't tame wild women
But I can make tame women wild

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2018, 05:30:05 PM »
Glad you got to meet someone from home. I'll bet your home sick and can't wait to see her again ::) ;D
Now that that's off my chest how's that Nor Easter doing they are predicting? ;D
TD

badsection

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2018, 05:50:22 PM »
You should get a job there as Greeter. :)
Greeter? I'd be hitting on the nurse practitioner all the time!  F-O-X!

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2018, 05:57:34 AM »
Kevin you should have been with me on Wed when I went in for my heart cath. I had 3 young ladies taking care of me and one even shaved me for a secondary access point other my wrist.
Dang man it always seem like they like to get up close and personal when you can't do anything about it. Sometimes they like having you helpless where they can have there way and there's nothing you can do about it. ::) ;) ;D
TD

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2018, 08:06:28 AM »
I saw the nurse practitioner next. I knew her accent.100% Maryland!  U of MD grad! Grew up near T D, in Westminister !  Asked her if she ever had a beer at the "Vue". Its a bar about 50' off campus.  Hell, yea! Asked her why they ask about marital status on the silly forms I was sill filling out. "It determines your stress level, married people are much more stressed"  Damn, as cynical as I am at  her age  of 30?  I like this place!   ;D

What do you mean by Maryland accent? I didn't know we had one. This is actually the second time I've heard this in the last month. While in Idaho last month we ran into campers from Germany, they were in a motorhome parked along a dirt road. We talked with them for a little while and because of their accent we asked where they were from, Frankfurt, Germany was the answer. Without us telling them they said you must be from back east, Maryland or PA. I couldn't believe it and asked them how they knew? Because of your accent, they said. Seems they have family that live in Laural, MD. and were also going there to visit them before heading back to Germany.
I love the smell of deer guts in the morning, it smells like...VICTORY!

badsection

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2018, 08:56:25 AM »
When I moved to Maryland at age 8 from Chicago, they made fun of my accent. We said "FIRE", not "Far" , roof, not ruf.  :D  Maryland accent includes things like the name of Orioles pronounced like the cookie, Oreos. Washington with a "r" , "Warshington"! Haven't really heard the accent in 16 years here, hers  was pretty obvious to me.  The eastern shore is totally different and that's where I was for the last 10-12 years before moving here to Florida.  Tons of New Yorkers here!   ;D

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2018, 09:00:05 AM »

What do you mean by Maryland accent? I didn't know we had one. This is actually the second time I've heard this in the last month. While in Idaho last month we ran into campers from Germany, they were in a motorhome parked along a dirt road. We talked with them for a little while and because of their accent we asked where they were from, Frankfurt, Germany was the answer. Without us telling them they said you must be from back east, Maryland or PA. I couldn't believe it and asked them how they knew? Because of your accent, they said. Seems they have family that live in Laural, MD. and were also going there to visit them before heading back to Germany.
Chris years ago when my oldest was in college up in Boston I had a taxi driver try to take advantage of me because of the accent and swore I was from Texaasss. Yep a real southern draw but then I was spending lots of time driving threw the south and could have picked it up that way. Even to this day I still have a southern twang to my voice when I talk.
TD

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2018, 01:23:44 PM »
Glad us Canadians don't have an accent...….eh! ;D

Terry
Guns have two enemies....rust and government
OFHA and CCFR member

badsection

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2018, 01:47:04 PM »

Terry
We certainly get our share of Canadian tourists here in South Florida.  Very easy to pick them out, t shirt and shorts in 45 degree temps  and a sunburn that glows in the dark while true Floridians are bundled up like it's -30!  No Accent? LOL!
« Last Edit: October 28, 2018, 02:06:54 PM by badsection »

DW5

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2018, 02:13:15 PM »

Terry

Haha! I know exactly what you are talking aboot! Y’all reckon us Texans have a peculiar way of  annunciating?
You cant catch a fish without a hook in the water....

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2018, 04:42:16 PM »

Terry
We certainly get our share of Canadian tourists here in South Florida.  Very easy to pick them out, t shirt and shorts in 45 degree temps  and a sunburn that glows in the dark while true Floridians are bundled up like it's -30!  No Accent? LOL!

Lots of retired snow birds head to Florida from Canada and ya we wear t-shirts until it snows.  ;)

Terry
Guns have two enemies....rust and government
OFHA and CCFR member

badsection

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2018, 04:49:45 PM »

Terry

Lots of retired snow birds head to Florida from Canada and ya we wear t-shirts until it snows.  ;)

Terry
We were called "snow birds" when a bunch of us telco people were loaned to the Houston area from Maryland in 1974. It actually did snow in Houston that year.  My 98 year old neighbor has lived here all her life and says it did snow here once in her lifetime in 1976.