Spike Camp

“Just Right” Rifle for North America

“Just Right” Rifle for North America
« on: October 30, 2018, 07:11:46 PM »
Interesting article in Sports Afield this month by Craig Boddington. He was analyzing what the “just right” rifle is for North America.

His formula was a bullet diameter between .264 inch and .284 inch, 140 grain bullet weight, velocity about 3000 fps, and resulting muzzle energy of 3000 ft-lbs.

Hard to disagree I suppose, but I would go to a 160 grain bullet. I suppose this is why I lean towards 7mm and .30 cal rifles in a significant way. I’m waiting on the delivery of a 28 Nosler, so I hope that is my utopian 7mm.

Any thoughts?
JK

224KING

• View Profile
Re: “Just Right” Rifle for North America
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2018, 07:42:12 PM »
Wish I had a dollar for every one of these articles I've read over the last 35 years.
Retirement; The art of doing very little,very slowly

Expert; Someone who knows so much about so little

If you live in the swirl of the drain,inevitably you'll wind up in the cesspool.

Remember 10534

Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.

sschefer

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2018, 08:01:26 PM »
Wish I had a dollar for every one of these articles I've read over the last 35 years.

Well, at least they consistently tell us the same thing.

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2018, 08:36:16 PM »
I suppose it is directionally similar to some other articles, but I thought the 140 grain bullet seemed a bit light. Looks of we’ll-constructed bullets obviously, but I shoot heavier bullets.

If I could pick only one cartridge, it would be the 300 Winchester shooting 180 grain bullets. Bit heavy for whitetails, but a bit more ooomff for elk and bigger.
JK

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2018, 09:12:03 PM »
Tried and true old school always clashes with technology sooner or later.Technology is why there are so many articles over a long period of time.Any handloader can't help but know the numbers.It's hard not to keep reading the articles though,thinking you might learn something new.
Retirement; The art of doing very little,very slowly

Expert; Someone who knows so much about so little

If you live in the swirl of the drain,inevitably you'll wind up in the cesspool.

Remember 10534

Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2018, 09:37:06 PM »
If I hunted whitetail deer for the most part, then I would be more onboard with the 140 grain bullet theory.

I hunt elk for the most part, so although I’ve killed two bulls with a 140 grain, 7mm bullet...I feel more confident with a 160-180 grain bullet.
JK

DW5

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2018, 10:09:49 PM »
Interesting article in Sports Afield this month by Craig Boddington. He was analyzing what the “just right” rifle is for North America.

His formula was a bullet diameter between .264 inch and .284 inch, 140 grain bullet weight, velocity about 3000 fps, and resulting muzzle energy of 3000 ft-lbs.

Hard to disagree I suppose, but I would go to a 160 grain bullet. I suppose this is why I lean towards 7mm and .30 cal rifles in a significant way. I’m waiting on the delivery of a 28 Nosler, so I hope that is my utopian 7mm.

Any thoughts?

Sounds  like a 270 WSM with the 140grn Nosler Accubond or Barnes TSX. Although you could add a few 100 to each measurement with the .270WBY. For my type of hunting I suppose I’d “agree” with him...Just cause his criteria fits my particular hunting though. I hunt primarily deer and pigs, if it was elk like you I’d quite possibly lean towards a 300mag as well.

Don’t have a 270bee at the moment (I need to change that) but do have the 270WSM. It pains me to even think about something so awful, but if I had to get rid of all but one of my rifles, I’m probably keeping the 270WSM, assuming it was for all North America hunting I might be doing. If I were limited to Texas hunting, where the vast majority of my hunting takes place, I’d keep one of my 257bees.
You cant catch a fish without a hook in the water....

badsection

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2018, 04:55:06 AM »
I suppose we all have our favorites through our years of experience.  To narrow it down as much as this article does sounds like an attempt to "stir the pot"  .  From my point of view, my 7mm WSM with 140gr. TSX will do just about all my typical hunting.  :)

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2018, 05:08:01 AM »
I love my 270 WSM also combined with Federal 140 Trophy Bonded Tip I feel confident from deer to moose.
3200 MV
3180 energy

Terry
Guns have two enemies....rust and government
OFHA and CCFR member

DW5

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2018, 07:36:27 AM »
I love my 270 WSM also combined with Federal 140 Trophy Bonded Tip I feel confident from deer to moose.
3200 MV
3180 energy

I have never really looked at the Federal TBT, I will do some reading now though.

Terry
You cant catch a fish without a hook in the water....

eford

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2018, 08:13:18 AM »

The bonded and all-copper bullets add a twist to the whole argument made by Boddington. Since those bullets lose very little of their weight, they can hold together for the deep penetration and still make an exit hole. For the smaller calibers, a 130-140 grain bullet works perfectly for me. With the larger cartridges I like the 160-180 grain variety. Again, results may vary and there is no guarantee you will find the animals you seek. Keep hunting, my friends.
Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine.

Every man needs to know his limits.

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2018, 08:39:32 AM »
I have read so many of these articles/reports, that the first thing I do is look at the bottom line. Almost all of them have the same tag line. The best caliber for anything in North America really isn't just one. Sure one caliber can be used, but for everything in North America what ever caliber you choose will be better for one sized game better than the other sizes. Regardless of what you hunt, the best caliber is what you can shoot the most accurately, using a caliber and bullet for the size animal you hunt, within your comfortable maximum shooting range. But the articles/reports have been a great help because for each report stating what is best I have a good excuse for a new rifle, so keep em coming.

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2018, 09:00:03 AM »
With modern bullets, it's hard to disagree with his theory, for most of North America, except for grizzly, brown, or polar bears.

Rob

sschefer

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2018, 09:42:16 AM »
With modern bullets, it's hard to disagree with his theory, for most of North America, except for grizzly, brown, or polar bears.

Rob

In my honest opinion, they are just filling up pages in a magazine. I'm pretty sure that most of us know that the 270 (.277) in either a long action or short action rifle is a dang good all around hunting cartridge. However, I have never gone on a hunt that I didn't have my Model 70 Super Grade in 30-06 with me or my 94 30-30. I suspect now that I will soon have a 300 WM I might opt for it instead. Nah.. I'll take them all and make the call when I get there.

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2018, 09:52:53 AM »

Rob

In my honest opinion, they are just filling up pages in a magazine. I'm pretty sure that most of us know that the 270 (.277) in either a long action or short action rifle is a dang good all around hunting cartridge. However, I have never gone on a hunt that I didn't have my Model 70 Super Grade in 30-06 with me or my 94 30-30. I suspect now that I will soon have a 300 WM I might opt for it instead. Nah.. I'll take them all and make the call when I get there.
  +1