Spike Camp

“Just Right” Rifle for North America

Re: “Just Right” Rifle for North America
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2018, 10:24:44 AM »
I love my 270 WSM also combined with Federal 140 Trophy Bonded Tip I feel confident from deer to moose.
3200 MV
3180 energy

I have never really looked at the Federal TBT, I will do some reading now though.

Terry

They are a great combination of a bonded frontal and a solid rear.
Guns have two enemies....rust and government
OFHA and CCFR member

Buckleman

• B-MAN
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2018, 02:45:10 PM »
Who in the heck has one rifle. More rifles and different cal. You have a big choice, or take 2-3 different on same hunt. One choice ought six. Buy ammo many different stores. 150-180 gr.

badsection

« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2018, 03:22:17 PM »
Did we lose the point of the OP?  In any case, the suggested bullets for my 270 WBY are too heavy, 1 in 12"! 270WSM, perfect with those bullets! 

« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2018, 05:18:18 PM »
I look at it this way - I have many, many hunting rifles. I enjoy them all, but the fact is about 50 of them are seldom used. I may, at some point, consolidate my collection. It is hard for me to spend much time with most of them, so I gravitate to those that are “most useful”. I just don’t think I’ve found the singular, perfect rifle/cartridge yet...at least perfect for what I do. It is like the search for the Holy Grail.

Since I own a lot of cartridges, I’m pretty familiar with their advantages and short comings. I like to hear other viewpoints on the subject.

Actually, Boddington used to be a bigger proponent of 300 magnums, 300 Weatherby in particular. He seems to have lightened up a bit in his stance.
JK

DW5

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2018, 06:33:00 PM »
I look at it this way - I have many, many hunting rifles. I enjoy them all, but the fact is about 50 of them are seldom used. I may, at some point, consolidate my collection. It is hard for me to spend much time with most of them, so I gravitate to those that are “most useful”. I just don’t think I’ve found the singular, perfect rifle/cartridge yet...at least perfect for what I do. It is like the search for the Holy Grail.

Since I own a lot of cartridges, I’m pretty familiar with their advantages and short comings. I like to hear other viewpoints on the subject.

Actually, Boddington used to be a bigger proponent of 300 magnums, 300 Weatherby in particular. He seems to have lightened up a bit in his stance.

I think I remember reading him say of all the 300 magnums his favorite was the 300WBY, while also saying he thinks the the 300 Rem Ultra Mag was slightly “better”. Hey, even Mr. Boddington can be wrong sometimes!  :) :)
You cant catch a fish without a hook in the water....

224KING

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2018, 07:27:48 PM »
Wish I had a dollar for every one of these articles I've read over the last 35 years.

The bonded and all-copper bullets add a twist to the whole argument made by Boddington. Since those bullets lose very little of their weight, they can hold together for the deep penetration and still make an exit hole. For the smaller calibers, a 130-140 grain bullet works perfectly for me. With the larger cartridges I like the 160-180 grain variety. Again, results may vary and there is no guarantee you will find the animals you seek. Keep hunting, my friends.

I know.I mentioned technology up the page.What gets me is when they put a number on downrange energy needed.How do you know what your delivering to the animal if your bullet is exiting?
Retirement; The art of doing very little,very slowly

Expert; Someone who knows so much about so little

If you live in the swirl of the drain,inevitably you'll wind up in the cesspool.

Remember 10534

Sorry... Yesterday was the last and final day for any and all complaints whatsoever.

« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2018, 07:53:25 PM »
I’m with the poster who wished he had a dollar for every one of these article written over the years. Animals haven’t changed. Conditions have—in some places. The 30-06 is still a rounfd capable of doing it all. As is the .270 Win., .280 Remington and other similar rounds. The newest, fastest, flashiest always gets the press. The older rounds still bring home the meat.

« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2018, 09:01:14 PM »
I have all three of those, and yes...they’re still getting it done.

I also have a 300 RUM...meh...I’m not sure it is any better than my 300 Weatherby or 300 Winchester.

It seems like there may be a discernible difference with the 28 Nosler factory loads, but the 7mm Remington Mag and 7mm Weatherby Mag both kill a lot of stuff.

I’ll let you know...I should have a 28 Nosler relatively soon.
JK

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2018, 10:32:39 PM »

It seems like there may be a discernible difference with the 28 Nosler factory loads, but the 7mm Remington Mag and 7mm Weatherby Mag both kill a lot of stuff.
I’ll let you know...I should have a 28 Nosler relatively soon.
Its nice to look into your safe(s) and say to yourself, 12 of these rifles will kill a deer, but only 7 will kill an elk, so which one do I favor this time? The "Just Right" rifle is, all about choices, regardless of technology. As long as you have enough gun and a bullet that can handle the task at hand, you don't have to sweat the details. Accuracy, shot placement and staying within your and your rifles limits is all that's left. JK, I'll bet the discernible difference the 28 Nosler makes, will make it another one of your favorites, in one of your safes.  ;)   
« Last Edit: October 31, 2018, 10:34:45 PM by danno50 »
DosEquisShooter

« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2018, 05:16:05 AM »
I have heard nothing but good things about the 26 and 28 Nosler, let us know how it performs

Terry
Guns have two enemies....rust and government
OFHA and CCFR member

« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2018, 07:01:12 AM »
I did not see the article but if limited to one rifle for ALL North American big game to include the big bears it would be my Mark V Stainless 300 Weatherby Magnum. Exclude the big bears and I would opt for my Mark V Stainless in 7mm Weatherby Magnum!
Pennsylvania "Big Woods" Mountain Buck.

« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2018, 08:42:40 AM »

+1 I'm the same way, I have many rifles I rarely use, 223, 270Wby,7MM Wby & Rem, 300 Wby, 375 Wby is all I really use anymore. It's been at least 5 years since I fired my 340,3 years since I fired my 338-378 and I cant even recall the last time I fired my 30-378 and 338 Win.   :o

Rob

« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2018, 12:23:22 PM »
Although I haven't had one for about 40 years, IMO the boring old .30-06 would be "Just Right" for most hunters for most North American hunting.  But I don't make my living selling articles to gun magazines.

I also don't see any need for any of the new Short Magnum cartridges, but then again, I'm not in the business of selling guns.

Much to the dismay of most of the rifles in my safe, my .300 Weatherby is my first choice for most of my big game hunting, unless it's raining, then I'll grab my SS, plastic stocked 7mm Rem mag. 

NRA Endowment Life Member

badsection

« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2018, 03:24:16 PM »
I didn't see any need for the WSM's either. There was a sale at bass pro that included a metal double rifle travel case at no extra charge. At the time, Winchester said no more model 70's. I wanted one, having read Jack O'Connor a bunch.  I was the last one on a limited to stock on hand deal for the case. I chose the laminate 7mm WSM model 70 purely on appearance. When I realized it was the single most accurate rifle I ever owned, I bought a 270WSM,300WSM and a 325 WSM .  Sold the 300WSM at a very slight profit !  The 270 WSM Savage is not as accurate but acceptable. The 325WSM is a model 70 sporter and a tack  driver in a caliber that never had any chance of surviving.  I have a ton of brass and the 220gr. Woodleigh and Swift make one ragged hole at 100yds.  I'll hunt big bears and the single largest critter in North America, Bison with that rifle.  When this article said the bullet weights and calibers, My 7mm WSM that I have taken 15 hogs with the140gr TSX fit the description.  My 6.5 Creedmoor Savage is set up as a way sub moa target rifle. With a few minor changes, it fits Boddington's  description. Here we are with "what is best" again!  LOL!

danno50

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2018, 06:25:00 PM »
For the record, I like the idea of using a heavier bullet, but If I had to choose within the set limits, it would be the 270 win.(using Hornady 140 gr. SST ammunition) With the exception of the great bears of North America, the 270 cal. using said ammo, would be a suitable for taking moose and elk size game. The .277 cal. 140 gr. bullet has good SD & BC, meets the 3000 fps MV and only falls short about 32 ft/lbs of energy of the specified need of the Just Right Rifle. The animal will never know that he didn't get the full dose. ;) 
DosEquisShooter